Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for any Leaving Certs who studied European Languages for LC 2020!!!

• 27-08-2020 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys, I'm looking for any Leaving Cert students who studied European Languages (particularly Polish) outside of school for Leaving Certificate 2020. I am also open to advice from everyone.

Apparently, I am unable to receive a calculated grade in Polish as my Polish teacher isn't a registered teacher in Ireland. She has a teaching certificate in Polish and evidence I attended her school weekly where my work was corrected and graded, even under exam conditions.

How come some home schooled students are eligible even though some are taught by parents or close guardians? Are those parents or close guardians registered teachers like my Polish teacher is required to be? I have asked some of those questions to the Department of Education and have been ignored as they are unable to come up with adequate answers.

Without my grade in Polish I will not be able to pursue Neuroscience in university. I thought about repeating but after looking at the outlines of Leaving Certificate 2021, I feel extremely discouraged.

I am aware of the uncertain times, but I do not feel we, the Leaving Certificate Polish students, should be penalised by being denied an estimated grade in our mother language, when we have been denied the opportunity to sit the exam.

If you have any advice or are in the same situation as I am, please let me know. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

You can sit the exam in November. If you were already contemplating repeating the LC the idea of waiting another year to enter third level is probably acceptable to you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Polish and the other Eu languages are there following a European agreeement. You would actually be unusual in that you had a teacher. Many people think just being a native speaker will get them through.

I can only suggest you get a few of your friends who are in the same position and ask the Polish Consul for help. I think it is very late though. Could you sit the exams and reapply next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lexxaxo0

spurious wrote: »
    Polish and the other Eu languages are there following a European agreeement. You would actually be unusual in that you had a teacher. Many people think just being a native speaker will get them through.

I can only suggest you get a few of your friends who are in the same position and ask the Polish Consul for help. I think it is very late though. Could you sit the exams and reapply next year?
    I have unfortunately only gotten around to trying to find a solution recently as that is when the decision about the rejection was sent to me. Had I have known even a month ago, I would have definitely had more options but the Department of Education informed me only last week.

I am currently trying to find students in similar situations like me and hopefully some change can be done. I am lucky enough to have had a teacher as this makes me more eligible for a predicted grade than if I didn't have one.

Thank you for your reply.

Advertisement