Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would I be able to get insured on a classic car as a first time driver?

Options
  • 27-08-2020 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Specifically, a 1981 - 1988 BMW 5 series, specifically the 520i. 2 litre engine.

First time driver, 23 years old, living in north county Kildare, working in civil service.

Would I be able to get insurance, and if so, how much can I expect to be paying?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Miscreant

MuchZeus wrote: »
    Specifically, a 1981 - 1988 BMW 5 series, specifically the 520i. 2 litre engine.

First time driver, 23 years old, living in north county Kildare, working in civil service.

Would I be able to get insurance, and if so, how much can I expect to be paying?

Doubtful. Most classic policies look for the driver to be over 25 and have another full time insured modern vehicle.
    You could try a few of the Classic insurance companies or a broker but I imagine you might hit a wall on it. Always worth a go to shop around though as you never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

As mentioned, they look for certain criteria, over 25, existing policy on another vehicle already in place.

As for the “how much can I expect to pay” bit, how long is a piece of string?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭zg3409

If you want cheap insurance don't have a 2.0l petrol as your first car. Get a 1.0L petrol.

You are typically penalised or not quoted if car is greater than 10 or 15 years, so your choices are limited.

For cheap insurance go for less than 10 years.

Get a full quote based on car registration before you buy car and ring the company to confirm it and go through details again. You don't say you have a full licence but most classic policies have catches so you need classic to be 2nd vehicle.

You nay also get cheaper insurance if you add a named driver to the policy, even if they never ever sit in vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

MuchZeus wrote: »

The short answer is No.

My 20yr old daughter, rural Galway, held licence for 3 yrs, full for 2, on a 1.1 Clio was €1800.

She tried to get a quote on an Octavia recently from her existing insurer and got a flat refusal.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement