Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinion on billionaires.

• 27-08-2020 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

Musk worth 100B
    Bezos worth 200B.

Fair play to them, but prob should pay more taxes.
    Global Inequality is a big problem.

What are your opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

They might be worth 100bn but they don't have 100bn to their disposal. The cost of 1 share in their company at the present time multiplied by how many of them they own is how they come up with these figures.

If Bezos started selling shares like mad people would get suspicious fast and the share price would plummet as a result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Global inequality is indeed a problem but focusing on a few billionaires doesn't even begin to address it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

It be good if they was to share this fortune with the people who make them there fortune there staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I have yet to meet one I did not like.

every billionaire represents a failure of policy

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    Global inequality is indeed a problem but focusing on a few billionaires doesn't even begin to address it.

i mean

the figures are clear.

it really would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I have yet to meet one I did not like.

Same...

I have also yet to meet one I liked

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

They work hard, most of the really rich ones are obsessive about getting shít done.

Good luck to them.

I would rather be born rich and enjoy it than have to work for it. Those dudes don't unwind, when Musk finished college he worked 7 days a week. He lived (literally) in his office with his brother. They are workaholics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Not much to say, other than they should be paying real, proper taxes, and have a moral duty not to abuse tax efficency schemes including inheritance tax evasion using trust funds.

- The world’s 2,153 billionaires have more wealth than the 4,600,000,000 people who make up 60% of the planet’s population.
    - The 22 richest men in the world have more wealth than all the women in Africa (600m, set to double by 2050).
    - Getting the richest 1% to pay just 0.5 percent extra tax on their wealth over the next 10 years would equal the investment needed to create 117 million jobs in sectors such as elderly and childcare, education and health.

If they don't pay more, and when the robots take all the jobs, no doubt they'll likely have a social rebellion on their hands, with the globe heading for 10bn folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I've never been on but I know I'd be just darling at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Not much to say, other than they should be paying real, proper taxes, and have a moral duty not to abuse tax efficency schemes including inheritance tax evasion using trust funds.

- The world’s 2,153 billionaires have more wealth than the 4,600,000,000 people who make up 60% of the planet’s population.
    - The 22 richest men in the world have more wealth than all the women in Africa (600m, set to double by 2050).
    - Getting the richest 1% to pay just 0.5 percent extra tax on their wealth over the next 10 years would equal the investment needed to create 117 million jobs in sectors such as elderly and childcare, education and health.

If they don't pay more, and when the robots take all the jobs, no doubt they'll likely have a social rebellion on their hands, with the globe heading for 10bn folks.

That level of wealth in individual ownership is obscene. I have no problem with people becoming wealthy by hard work, good luck or combination of both.
    But wealth in billions is simply not good for a society.

The idea of a hard limit or whatever doesn't sit right but a system that results in such inequalities is inherently broken. How to fix it is a problem that I haven't seen a solution for however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

My opinion is that you should learn the difference between owning 100bn in company shares and 100bn in cash.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/noahkirsch/2019/12/04/why-elon-musk-is-cash-poor-for-a-billionaire/#521cc7f033f6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    They work hard, most of the really rich ones are obsessive about getting shít done.

Good luck to them.

I would rather be born rich and enjoy it than have to work for it. Those dudes don't unwind, when Musk finished college he worked 7 days a week. He lived (literally) in his office with his brother. They are workaholics.

And sociopaths.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Amazon workers are so underpaid, many are on food stamps.

So Bezos's wealth is being subsidised by the US taxpayer.

Not as "hard working" as some claim he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Nice bit of an aul billionaire

And sociopaths.

Humans have been farmed since time began.

I mean he was bullied bad at school, total geek. Got out of S Africa hit Canada and never looked back. Who didn't want to be a spaceman as a child?

We all know people like him, usually quite awkward but they will have nice traits also and appreciate having fun ( sometimes ). I reckon he won't start bottling his urine for another few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Like most bosses, they profit on the workers beneath them, similar to a Ponzi scheme (with work being the investment)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

mick087 wrote: »
    It be good if they was to share this fortune with the people who make them there fortune there staff.

The staff get a salary for their work don't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

It's a competition to see who can die with the most stuff.

I know plenty of very wealthy people. You would be surprised how many of them seem to envy the lives of certain average everyday people. The biggest thing that always shocks me, is how bored many of them seem to be. Having vast amounts of wealth can make you very isolated from others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

I'd love one to be honest , just can't afford one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I often wonder what all that money means to them. I mean there is only so much you need to spend on food, homes, and family.

Well I suppose I am an outlier here, but could never understand the desire to be a bulti billionnaire. Maybe it gives them influence on Gov or something.

Taxation is only a very small part of it. Power to influence things I suppose.

They have likely paid more in tax than most individuals already. And considering the manner of their lifestyles, they pay quite a bit of tax on all that luxury living.
    joe40 wrote: »
    That level of wealth in individual ownership is obscene. I have no problem with people becoming wealthy by hard work, good luck or combination of both.
    But wealth in billions is simply not good for a society.

Except, that they're not part of our society. They've got their own society that they involve themselves with. The rich generally lead extremely different lives than the rest of us, and their existence has very little bearing (except perhaps as employers) on the society we live in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I often wonder what all that money means to them. I mean there is only so much you need to spend on food, homes, and family.

Well I suppose I am an outlier here, but could never understand the desire to be a bulti billionnaire. Maybe it gives them influence on Gov or something.

Taxation is only a very small part of it. Power to influence things I suppose.

I know someone who has a net worth of a few hundred million very well and being honest I don’t really envy him , the more money he makes the more he wants and it’s almost like a burden to keep up with the even richer guys he associates with .

The only thing he has that I would genuinely envy is a private jet , that’s one of the few things really rich people can have that the rest of us can’t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Why cant you just be happy for me ye jealous c.unts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

They are a great bunch of lads

As I said earlier the bulty billionaires can influence Government policy to a great degree.

You could not spend that money in your lifetime. Cannot get my head around billionaires, but I suppose they live on vegetable soup or something.

I mean who could eat lobster every day or the equivalent. Just so boring. If you have everything, what do you need/want anymore?

Nods head and needs help here! LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

They have likely paid more in tax than most individuals already. And considering the manner of their lifestyles, they pay quite a bit of tax on all that luxury living.

In 2018, billionaires paid a smaller portion of their income in taxes than average (working class) Americans. That's the first time that has happened in history.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/american-billionaires-paid-less-taxes-than-working-class-wealth-gap-2019-10?r=US&IR=T

(US)billionaires paid 23% of their income in federal, state, and local taxes, while the average American paid 28%. Even back in 2011 Buffet paid less percentile tax than his secretary.

Elsewhere Billionaires have many tools: partnership structures, write-offs, and other specific accounting tactics to legally reduce or defer their taxable income. Trust funds for billionaire's offspring is popular, but likely not worth while or efficent to set up for the average lowly millionaire. Many of uk's super-rich don't pay as much IHT(40%) as the average upper middle class person, thanks to a full toolkit of mitigation routes.

The Paradise Papers, along with recent celeb accounting schemes highlights yet more schemes. More Locally, Bono used low-tax Malta to buy a share in a Lithuanian shopping centre.

Cyrus wrote: »
    I know someone who has a net worth of a few hundred million very well and being honest I don’t really envy him , the more money he makes the more he wants and it’s almost like a burden to keep up with the even richer guys he associates with .

The only thing he has that I would genuinely envy is a private jet , that’s one of the few things really rich people can have that the rest of us can’t

Yeah maybe you hit the spot there, it is a competition amongst them. I really dunno. Private jets are drug mules anyway, generally. But why? if you don't need the money?

But am so happy with my lot, gruel on Monday, fish heads on Tuesday and leftovers for the rest of the week here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Cyrus wrote: »

It's a little bit disgusting, pure greed really, quite common with very rich people though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

They make good shortbread

It costs € 63,450 a day to park a yacht in Monte Carlo.

No discounts and subject to availability.

http://www.portbooker.com/en/moorings/monaco/principality-of-monaco/fontvieille/port-of-fontvieille

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Stan27 wrote:
    Musk worth 100B Bezos worth 200B.

Behind every great wealth, is a great theft!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Behind every great wealth, is a great theft!

What did they steal?

http://www.portbooker.com/en/moorings/monaco/principality-of-monaco/fontvieille/port-of-fontvieille

Good luck

That is the cost of a breakfast for the majority of billionaires anyway with waiters and so on on board that yacht of course lol.

Anyway who would want to associate with these moneyed morons anyway.

There is only so much money that you can spend, says I looking at boiler replacement (needed) a new kitchen after twenty years (needed) and so on.

Can pay for everything without borrowing, so fk the billionaires now. LOL

The Simple enough life is good enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Good luck

Fontvieille is only a second division harbour.

Where are you getting that figure?

A berth in the main harbour during the Grand Prix doesn't cost that.

The staff get a salary for their work don't they?

The staff Create the wealth the owner controls the wealth the staff deserve a high cut of the profits from the wealth they have created.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 TokenJester

I like them

I'm biased I'm married to one

Ipso wrote:
    What did they steal?

Amazon makes little or no money from its delivery service, so its a monopoly in that sector, preventing competitors from well, existing. It lives off the back of public policies that continually increase its value of its assets, particularly it's stock price, of which it shares very little, publicly. Tesla has received billions in public money over the years, so a large proportion of it really should be under public ownership at this stage, same story as amazon as well, regarding stock prices, and you can be damn sure, if either company looks like folding, they ll be bailed out, with public money, again!

mick087 wrote:
    The staff Create the wealth the owner controls the wealth the staff deserve a high cut of the profits from the wealth they have created.

All staff from both amazon and tesla should receive an extra bonus of stock options

• Advertisement

I don't envy them their fortune, it is what they do with it regarding their employees that is important to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Good luck

That's almost as bad as on street parking in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

They work hard, most of the really rich ones are obsessive about getting shít done..

Even if you worked 18 hours a day, 7 days a week 365 days a year for 70 years, you’d have to earn 2,180 an hour to get to a billion. And that’s before taxes or anything else, and not to mention the people who are worth many multiples of that. Is anyone’s work really worth 2,180 an hour, at a sustained rate? Is getting shït done in e-commerce or luxury vehicles worth that money? If we’re not paying the people who do really heroic, meaningful stuff anywhere near that kind of money, should anybody be worth that?

I’ve no problem with people being rewarded for hard work, but there has to come a point where the money just doesn’t matter any more, and amassing the wealth just becomes obscene, and indicative of a major problem in the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I admire them and equally pity them

Business is no 1 everything else comes second

Relationships kids etc suffer

And no amount of wealth can get that time back

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    All staff from both amazon and tesla should receive an extra bonus of stock options

Yes that would be an excellent idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

That’s a bit simplistic

The key staff will get options and make a lot of money but the warehouse workers aren’t creating the wealth, it’s the concept that creates the wealth . The majority of the workers are easily and quickly replaceable .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Neutral view. I'd love to know what Jeff Bezos thinks of his fortune...does he just look at it and go, fcuk, SO much money. Haha.

I think if I had billions, Id give a lot of it away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

thats a pure political statement

the owner created the company , without him , the staff would likely be working in some other job

im not saying amazon employees are not underpaid , they probably are but they dont and didnt create the wealth

its like saying the people who work in a factory bottling antibiotics today deserve as much credit as alexander fleming , the inventor of penicilin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

It's a competition to see who can die with the most stuff.

I know plenty of very wealthy people. You would be surprised how many of them seem to envy the lives of certain average everyday people. The biggest thing that always shocks me, is how bored many of them seem to be. Having vast amounts of wealth can make you very isolated from others.

Yes, but they tend to be empty people to begin with.

Nobody has any real excuse to be bored, it's up to you how you fill your time productively. That goes for billionaires too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Stan27 wrote: »
    Musk worth 100B
    Bezos worth 200B.

Fair play to them, but prob should pay more taxes.
    Global Inequality is a big problem.

What are your opinions?
    According to a 2017 Oxfam report, the top eight richest billionaires own as much combined wealth as "half the human race".

I don't mean in like a lets purge them way but ....

annex-flynn-errol-adventures-of-robin-hood-the_02c.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement