Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Management company refused motorbike anchor in apartment block.

Options
  • 27-08-2020 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice.

New tenants are due to move into an apartment next week.

The guy has a motorbike which he uses for work.

He asked me about parking his bike and having it secured.

I contacted the Management Company about the possibility of allowing him to put in an anchor.

There is no designated parking. All parking is on ground level. No underground parking and it's not gated.

Basically, anyone could walk in off the street and walk about.

The parking area designated for the apartment is not street facing.

I did suggest a place where the anchor could be put. It would not in a parking space and not in anyone's way.

The management company refused. I have asked for an explanation. I expect they won't change their mind

If he parks his bike, it's at his own risk.

Needless to say, the new tenant is worried.

Has anyone had a similar experience.

Is there anyway I can get the Management company to compromise.

Locking it at the bike rack is not a viable option due to its location.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Why are you doing this instead of the tenant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

My dad owns the apartment. I don't live there.

He'll (new tenant) be living there with his partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

To be honest, not a lot you can do.

When I was renting with my bike, I would not even consider anywhere without an appropriate secure parking spot for my bike.

This is on the tenant, he should have checked out parking options before committing to a lease.

I'm sure he could find something to lock the bike too, pole or otherwise, but he may find a notice from the management co.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭goblin59

find out who's on the board of directors for the apartment complex and ask them directly.
    If they say go ahead, ask them to email the management company with you CC'd in to say you have permission.

End of the day they are employed by the apartment owners to manage the complex like a company.
    The board of directors is made up of nominated apartment owners who authorize decisions made by the management company.

before talking to someone who's on the board work out where the best spot to put the motorcycle anchor is, then ensure its not blocking any emergency exits or walk ways.
    Also keep in mind, since its not in a designated spot, anyone else with a motorcycle might feel they can also use this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭Goose81

micar wrote: »
    Looking for some advice.

New tenants are due to move into an apartment next week.

The guy has a motorbike which he uses for work.

He asked me about parking his bike and having it secured.

I contacted the Management Company about the possibility of allowing him to put in an anchor.

There is no designated parking. All parking is on ground level. No underground parking and it's not gated.

Basically, anyone could walk in off the street and walk about.

The parking area designated for the apartment is not street facing.

I did suggest a place where the anchor could be put. It would not in a parking space and not in anyone's way.

The management company refused. I have asked for an explanation. I expect they won't change their mind

If he parks his bike, it's at his own risk.

Needless to say, the new tenant is worried.

Has anyone had a similar experience.

Is there anyway I can get the Management company to compromise.

Locking it at the bike rack is not a viable option due to its location.

Yah I had the same experience, I said nothing to the management company and installed the anchor. Your mistake here was telling them anything tbh.

Tell him to just install it beside the bike rack and they will.never know. They will obviously never give him official permission to install one.

• Advertisement

Goose81 wrote: »
    Yah I had the same experience, I said nothing to the management company and installed the anchor. Your mistake here was telling them anything tbh.

Tell him to just install it beside the bike rack and they will.never know. They will obviously never give him official permission to install one.

Slight problem, he took it on himself to install one yesterday and was promptly told by a resident to stop what he was doing.

I had already been told no before this. I had not told the tenant yet

I reckon the person then got in touch with the boards of management or the management company.

Makes me look like a pr1ck.......they might think I told the tenant to install it anyway.

Slight problem, he took it on himself to install one yesterday and was promptly told by a resident to stop what he was doing.

Personally I would tell the resident to fuxk off an mind their business , they don't own the car park. Absolute busy body

In these situations you are better off never asking permission because you will never get permission, you put it in and see do they remove it and if they don't happy days.

In this case if he stopped because of the resident I would have another go installing it at a time he knows this busy body won't be up and see if anyone removes it.

If you are the landlord I wouldn't get involved tbh, there's no comeback on you and if this guy can't secure his bike he will probably leave the apartment.

I would say to him do what he needs to do and not to involve you, it's not your problem

All he needs to do it get up at 7am and install the thing and it will never be removed it won't even be seen

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

That is complety illegal. You must obtain authorization from the management company to install anything on the property. You are not the sole owner of this property.
    If installed without authority then it will be removed and quite properly the people involved charged for these works.

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    That is complety illegal. You must obtain authorization from the management company. If installed without authority then it will be removed and quite properly the people involved charged for these works.

Jesus, I didn't realise. My god lol, get the ****ing boat. If the security can't guarantee the safety of his property which they clearly can't he needs to do what is necessary.

You aren't the busy body neighbor referred to in the other post are you?

Personally I would tell the resident to fuxk off an mind their business , they don't own the car park. Absolute busy body

In these situations you are better off never asking permission because you will never get permission, you put it in and see do they remove it and if they don't happy days.

In this case if he stopped because of the resident I would have another go installing it at a time he knows this busy body won't be up and see if anyone removes it.

If you are the landlord I wouldn't get involved tbh, there's no comeback on you and if this guy can't secure his bike he will probably leave the apartment.

I would say to him do what he needs to do and not to involve you, it's not your problem

All he needs to do it get up at 7am and install the thing and it will never be removed it won't even be seen

This is quite obviously their business if an owner in the apartment complex.

• Advertisement

Jesus, I didn't realise. My god lol

Obviously you are condoning this behaviour. The question you ask doesnt warrant an answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

That is complety illegal. You must obtain authorization from the management company to install anything on the property. You are not the sole owner of this property.
    If installed without authority then it will be removed and quite properly the people involved charged for these works.

Jesus Christ lighten up

This is quite obviously their business if an owner in the apartment complex.

It's not really, they don't own the car park or have anything to do with it. It's between op and the management company.

Mod: Goose81 Banned for Personal Abuse

Jesus, I didn't realise. My god lol, get the ****ing boat. If the security can't guarantee the safety of his property which they clearly can't he needs to do what is necessary.

The tenant should have seen this problem and not rented this apartment.

My god I would hate to be like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

In the real world, the chances of anything coming from this is minimal. It won't interfere with anybody else's experience of a carpark, so frankly, I'd go ahead and do it. Better to ask forgiveness than permission on this one.

It's not really, they don't own the car park or have anything to do with it. It's between op and the management company.

In Law under the Multi unit Development Act, 2011 each apartment owner does own share of the common areas via the owners' management company.

My god I would hate to be like you.

Why? It's the tenants problem. He should have foreseen this issue and rented elsewhere.

Mate go fuxk yourself, damn right I'm condoning it.

You should watch your language. That's a disgraceful thing to say.

• Advertisement

In the real world, the chances of anything coming from this is minimal. It won't interfere with anybody else's experience of a carpark, so frankly, I'd go ahead and do it. Better to ask forgiveness than permission on this one.

Be prepared to be forced to pay to remove the unauthorized works if so ordered by the Management Company.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,835 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Completely unreasonable decision by the Management Company alright. Did they give a reason why it was refused?

Might be as simple as having an old fuddy duddy on the board who doesn't want 'loud motorcycles' in the carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Be prepared to be forced to pay to remove the unauthorized works if so ordered by the Management Company.

Sure thing, champ.

*thumbs up*

o1s1n wrote: »
    Completely unreasonable decision by the Management Company alright. Did they give a reason why it was refused?

Might be as simple as having an old fuddy duddy on the board who doesn't want 'loud motorcycles' in the carpark.

The issue or reasonableness on the part of the OMC is a separate matter entirely. I suggest the reason could be the costs incurred in hiring tradesmen to undertake the works further depleting a low sinking fund. Quite clearly the tenant has no say in this matter and must abide by the decision of the OMC. If unhappy, I suggest he consider moving. The point is why did he not foresee this issue and raise it with the landlord prior to signing the lease?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Mate go fuxk yourself, damn right I'm condoning it.

Goose, you know Yyhhuuu is correct, right? Why are you getting upset?

Of course they will know.
    Anchor points are a potential trip Hazard which is likely why the request was rejected.

Correct, I should have done this.

I did explain that I would have to contact them first.

o1s1n wrote: »

I would expect this to be the case. One of the residents is a complete nightmare.
    The issue or reasonableness on the part of the OMC is a separate matter entirely. I suggest the reason could be the costs incurred in hiring tradesmen to undertake the works further depleting a low sinking fund. Quite clearly the tenant has no say in this matter and must abide by the decision of the OMC. If unhappy, I suggest he consider moving. The point is why did he not foresee this issue and raise it with the landlord prior to signing the lease?

The tenant was going to install this himself.
    Augeo wrote: »
    Anchor points are a potential trip Hazard which is likely why the request was rejected.

The place I suggested would not had caused this.

Thanks for all the input.

I'll have to accept the decision to decline.

The tenant will likely decide not to move it.

I'll need to go off and find another tenant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

The management company is entirely justified here. There could be insurance or planning issues if they condone using that space as a parking space. Even investigating whether it's possible would incur time and fees which ultimately come out of the budget at the expense of existing tenants.

Look, your tenant has a bike. He needs secure parking and therefore your apartment doesn't appear suitable. You looked into an anchor at an unused space. The management company said "no".. sometimes it's best to ask forgiveness than permission.

So up to your potential tenant really. He can take your apartment knowing the issues, maybe use that space anyway, maybe install his own anchor... but that's on him. You as landlord will be liable for any expenses or damages (as unlikely as that may be) but all you can do is pass the message on to your potential tenant.

You could release him from his lease early if it doesn't work out.

Augeo wrote: »

The place I suggested would not had caused this.

If it's on the ground it's a potential trip hazard. Being out of the way etc doesn't change that. The chap using it himself could trip over it.
    Also parking spaces need to be designated in common areas, you can't just land a motorbike wherever suits :)

• Advertisement

antix80 wrote: »
    The management company is entirely justified here. There could be insurance or planning issues if they condone using that space as a parking space. Even investigating whether it's possible would incur time and fees which ultimately come out of the budget at the expense of existing tenants.

Look, your tenant has a bike. He needs secure parking and therefore your apartment doesn't appear suitable. You looked into an anchor at an unused space. The management company said "no".. sometimes it's best to ask forgiveness than permission.

So up to your potential tenant really. He can take your apartment knowing the issues, maybe use that space anyway, maybe install his own anchor... but that's on him. You as landlord will be liable for any expenses or damages (as unlikely as that may be) but all you can do is pass the message on to your potential tenant.

You could release him from his lease early if it doesn't work out.

Totally agree with you

He'll be stopped from installing his own anchor again.

I'll wait for management company explanation

I'll let the tenant know and they can decide whether they want to continue moving in and take the risk.

Advertisement