Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is China getting on?

Options

Comments

Joe4321 wrote: »
    I wonder how many people who cut/paste articles about how bad China is has ever visited the country, just a taught. As for AI intelegence and people been spied on just look a little closer to home, what has this pandemic taught us about our so called leaders? We are still a country in heavy lock down, the people in charge don't in force the measures they have introduced, they cause road blocks every day stopping the people in essential services from traveling freely to and from to work while not enforcing what they should be doing, all this just so they can say they stopped X amount of people, still no sign of mandatory quarantine even though law has been past over a week now, and we criticise countries who have managed this pandemic correctly.

I visited there about 5 years ago.

Absolute kip. It's a disgusting place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Edz87 wrote: »

Can ya elaborate there?
    It’s a place I’ve always wanted to visit.
    Just interested in your opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Joe4321

@Edz87 what about the place did you not like, please elaborate, why did you visit there?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

tom1ie wrote: »
    Can ya elaborate there?
    It’s a place I’ve always wanted to visit.
    Just interested in your opinion.

He doesn't sound like he has a nuanced opinion worth listening too. It's a country of over a billion people, with about the same landmass as Europe (not the EU, all of Europe).

Can you imagine someone saying, I visited Europe, its a total kip :pac:

This thread is full of thinly veiled xenophobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I wonder how many people who cut/paste articles about how bad China is has ever visited the country, just a taught. As for AI intelegence and people been spied on just look a little closer to home, what has this pandemic taught us about our so called leaders?.

As a Canadian passport holder, I certainly won’t be visiting the PRC in the near future, given their fondness for taking hostages:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7704309/china-michael-spavor-kovrig-two-michaels-trial-disappointed-canada/

That’s not to disparage the extraordinary achievements of modern China. The way they have managed Covid, after the initial disaster, speaks for itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Massive delays to some of there international deliveries suggests they are burning bridges with investor's to there economy in this scenario me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Edz87 wrote: »

For balance, I spent 2 months traveling in China in 2006. Not on an organized tour. It was tough at times, but overall it was fantastic. Certain things leave a lot to be desired (think animal welfare, spitting everywhere, lack of personal space) but the food, sights and people we met along the way were incredible.
    The culture shock is initially intense, but you get used to it. By comparison, India 4 years later was a lot tougher in terms of culture shock, though equally interesting.

I'd prefer to visit China again than usa

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

kenmc wrote: »
    For balance, I spent 2 months traveling in China in 2006. Not on an organized tour. It was tough at times, but overall it was fantastic. Certain things leave a lot to be desired (think animal welfare, spitting everywhere, lack of personal space) but the food, sights and people we met along the way were incredible.
    The culture shock is initially intense, but you get used to it. By comparison, India 4 years later was a lot tougher in terms of culture shock, though equally interesting.

I'd prefer to visit China again than usa

Never been to China but have watched a lot of the SerpentZA and Laowhy86 material on Youtube. The country is a fascinating place but has changed a lot since 2006. The cities have developed but the problems you mentioned are still there plus way more authoritarian control and surveillance. We will never know the true scale of the pandemic. Millions could die there and we would never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/20/chinas-first-local-covid-case-since-february-had-been-vaccinated-state-media

Lived and travelled through China fado fado during 1st SARS outbreak, happy memories and I'd love to return in the future but for now I'll be happy to get to France in 21 0r 22...

@piollaire I have seen the two guys that you mention in your post on YouTube but the come across as having a chip on their shoulder about China, even now when they are not living in China they do knotting but put China down from afar, if they have left China why make YouTube videos about how bad the country is when you have left there, seems to me they are two bitter people, a lot of other people give completely different views on how China is doing and they live over there.

• Advertisement

@piollaire I have seen the two guys that you mention in your post on YouTube but the come across as having a chip on their shoulder about China, even now when they are not living in China they do knotting but put China down from afar, if they have left China why make YouTube videos about how bad the country is when you have left there, seems to me they are two bitter people, a lot of other people give completely different views on how China is doing and they live over there.

When they were living in China I found their videos great for giving the highs and lows of life there. Unfortunately they felt the need to flee because the government brookes no criticism. Their videos since have been negative but their criticism is fair. It's hard to show the positive sides of China when you can't visit for fear of detainment.

[QUOTE=po
    tokblue;116636653]https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/20/chinas-first-local-covid-case-since-february-had-been-vaccinated-state-media

Lived and travelled through China fado fado during 1st SARS outbreak, happy memories and I'd love to return in the future but for now I'll be happy to get to France in 21 0r 22...[/QUOTE]

Amazing that the Guardian takes info from state authorities in China as fact. It should read 'China's first REPORTED case......'

My point been, they left to China, went to America and still feel the need to bad mouth and comment on issues that have no relavence to what they do now, this is all to keep there following on YouTube so they can earn money, seems very petty to me, two guys in America preaching on stuff that is happening in China that does not affect them, they seem also to take a lot of stuff out of context which has been proven, either by cutting pasting articles or editing video to show a different picture of what is happening at the time, all this to try and influence people incorrectly, there are plenty of proff of this if you look at other youtubers, just seems that they will go to any lengths to bad mouth a country they no longer live in just for the sake of keeping there followers. Sounds pretty childish, they left the country but are still earning from bad mouthing it because of the high number of followers,

My point been, they left to China, went to America and still feel the need to bad mouth and comment on issues that have no relavence to what they do now, this is all to keep there following on YouTube so they can earn money, seems very petty to me, two guys in America preaching on stuff that is happening in China that does not affect them, they seem also to take a lot of stuff out of context which has been proven, either by cutting pasting articles or editing video to show a different picture of what is happening at the time, all this to try and influence people incorrectly, there are plenty of proff of this if you look at other youtubers, just seems that they will go to any lengths to bad mouth a country they no longer live in just for the sake of keeping there followers. Sounds pretty childish, they left the country but are still earning from bad mouthing it because of the high number of followers,

You share the CCP's mentality of suppressing any fair criticism.

Why do you say that?? I know about these guys and they just are China knockers, they take things out of context to earn money, I take it that you believe everything they say,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Excatly, they were making pro videos before and now anti videos after they left.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The callousness China have shown at every turn in this extended virus debacle is astounding.
    In my book they unleashed this virus on the rest of the world, locked up their own citizens, and are now using the global depression to buy up resources in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

You like shills videos from inside china, if you make anything other than propaganda, you dissapear

they are both married to Chinese women and have chinese children, they are part of china, whether you understand that or not and have every right to let the world know what china doesnt allow us to know!

• Advertisement

They are two bitter people who have true the pram when they were told they could not do something. They are not part of China just because they are married to Chinese citizens they come across as bitter people wanting to get there own way all the time, China has a lot of differences to Europe and America, they know this but still decide to trough there toys out of the pram when they try to do things that they know is not allowed,

As was said before, when things were going there way in China it was a great country then everything is bad when they can't do what they know is not allowed, bitter people,

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

And our government are angels, one month after they brought in legislation for mandatory quaranteen we still have not got it up and running while we are locked down within are5km radius, thousands of appointments been cancelled everyday for critically I'll people, way to go boys, keep up the good work,

And our government are angels, one month after they brought in legislation for mandatory quaranteen we still have not got it up and running while we are locked down within are5km radius, thousands of appointments been cancelled everyday for critically I'll people, way to go boys, keep up the good work,

Why dont you move to China then? Oh cannot get a green card or use public transport etc...? Very welcoming...

Ahhh don't be so aggressive, just because my option is not the same as urs, for your information there public transport system is possibly one of the best in the world within and going between all the major cities, something we can only dream of over here, if you don't speak their language that is not an issue either as there is always some to help you out, as for a green card, they do five year visas if you meet certain criteria the same as any other country. You should learn a little bit about a country before you start knocking it down based on third hand information. As was said before China is not a country that would suit every body but most people who visit there with and open mind and do some research before they travel have a positive experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

Oh, come off it Joe. Most of their videos are accurate. China is an authoritarian dumpster fire. The whole country is a facade of lies and deceit. Nothing in the place can be taken at face value. The people are brainwashed slaves who are educated by the party to be drones who cannot think. They cannot differentiate fact from fiction.

I have a colleague from Chengdu who has been living in Europe for 12 years by now and she still believes China's lies. She thinks Corona came from Italy and thinks the concentration camps in Xinjiang are justified because before that the Uigher's were causing mayhem with terror attacks.

Their lies caused this pandemic. They covered up the outbreak. I don't think they did it on purpose but I suspect the Wuhan lab is the source of the outbreak rather than the wet market. It's classic Chinese 101. Cover up the truth to save face.

You see it with the corona numbers. I have colleagues in China who tell me their towns and cities are still experiencing outbreaks. They have outbreaks in prisons in Shandong. Again look at the media. Only 3-4 cases per day.
    Even their vaccine has dodgy all over it. Pakistan PM has just tested positive and he was vaccinated. Furthermore huge rollout of a Chinese vaccine in Chile is causing problems because it doesn't appear to work. China to this day refuses to publish it's vaccine data because as usual in China lies and coverups is the order of the day.
    https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/3/17/chile-second-covid-wave-hits-despite-vaccination-campaign

The Barret Channel another Youtube channel about China is pure propaganda.

SerpentZa did a video and explained how he was approached to make CCP propaganda but refused. If you watch the Barret Channel it is so depressing to watch two Brits praising authoritarian government for money.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/beijing-funds-british-youtubers-to-further-its-propaganda-war-x5gqp5fg0

And you think the numbers that are been reported in Europe, America are correct, don't make me laugh, why is everyone brain washed if they believe in there policies, we all know China is not a perfect country, far from it, but why are people so aggressive about anyone who believes in what they do is correct, maybe its time for people in Europe and America to start questioning their own polaticians on how the handel things, we have two parties that came together to form a government just so the party that got the most votes and who the majority of people in this country want in government could not form a partnership with others, do you think that's correct, we have the same two parties running this country into the ground and are not willing to make any decisions without see what the UK or the rest of Europe are doing, all they do is keep people in lock down until we are all vaccinated, one plan no other, headless chickens, it must be correct if these guys make a video from America telling you what's wrong with China, interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭caoty

• Advertisement

Piollaire wrote: »
    When they were living in China I found their videos great for giving the highs and lows of life there. Unfortunately they felt the need to flee because the government brookes no criticism. Their videos since have been negative but their criticism is fair. It's hard to show the positive sides of China when you can't visit for fear of detainment.

The state of China has never been a secret, and everyone knows how foreigners need to behave if they wish to live or work there. It's when people break those social norms, or rules, that everything goes pear-shaped.

They choose to break those rules. Blogging and video presentations of China with negative commentary is a "no no". Everyone, with an ounce of sense, knows this. The problem, for them, is that they (SerpentZA and Laowhy86) thought these unofficial rules, wouldn't be applied to them, since so many rules which apply to foreigners are waived (for one reason or another)

China used to be very lax with the application of their rules to foreigners, and they didn't appreciate that China was changing, becoming more critical of the behavior of foreigners while they're in China.

I've lived there over a decade, and I've had very few problems with the State. I do my job, I respect their customs, and I do very well over there.

SerpentZA and Laowhy86, present a view of China that is biased both due to their own experiences, and also, a need to present a critical view of China, since that's how they receive clicks and views. Positive views of China aren't popular.. there's no money in it online long-term, nor will they get any social-proof from their western audience.

Was/Is their criticism fair? Sure. Although they liked to take one part of China to represent the whole, despite China being a massive country, with a wide range of cultures depending on where you are. At the same time though, they were complete morons to think they could do the reports they made, without any pushback from the PSB or CCP (although personally, I think they planned on it as a way to generate an income, once they left China, as the vast majority of foreigners eventually leave).

Tens of thousands of westerners live in China without any significant problems, because, for the most part, they keep their heads down, and noses clean. Sure, there is corruption, and minor issues, but again, these downsides are well known, and common throughout Asia. China is an authoritarian nation, essentially a police state, and foreigners are there on sufferance. Anyone who ignores that is a fool.

As for covid, the CCP has been lying through it's teeth, will seek to make a profit from it, and are completely untrustworthy. Can't see why anyone expects any different.

Advertisement