Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is China getting on?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

Joe4321 wrote: »
    Ahhh don't be so aggressive, just because my option is not the same as urs, for your information there public transport system is possibly one of the best in the world within and going between all the major cities, something we can only dream of over here, if you don't speak their language that is not an issue either as there is always some to help you out, as for a green card, they do five year visas if you meet certain criteria the same as any other country. You should learn a little bit about a country before you start knocking it down based on third hand information. As was said before China is not a country that would suit every body but most people who visit there with and open mind and do some research before they travel have a positive experience.

Actually, I don't rely on third-party information and I have been to China four times. You cannot get a green card even if you marry a Chinese, if you get a spouse visa you cannot work, you cannot use public transport without a Chinese ID, can you get one of those? Didnt think so... its smoke and mirrors, it is not open to immigrants like most of the rest of the world is.

You have no clue what you are on about, you are literally talking shiiite

And you think the numbers that are been reported in Europe, America are correct, don't make me laugh, why is everyone brain washed if they believe in there policies, we all know China is not a perfect country, far from it, but why are people so aggressive about anyone who believes in what they do is correct, maybe its time for people in Europe and America to start questioning their own polaticians on how the handel things, we have two parties that came together to form a government just so the party that got the most votes and who the majority of people in this country want in government could not form a partnership with others, do you think that's correct, we have the same two parties running this country into the ground and are not willing to make any decisions without see what the UK or the rest of Europe are doing, all they do is keep people in lock down until we are all vaccinated, one plan no other, headless chickens, it must be correct if these guys make a video from America telling you what's wrong with China, interesting

Because look at what they do, not what they say... The WHO has had to not publish their report from the covid investigation because it was a farce, China wouldnt let them have any raw data, and just wanted to confirm it came in on frozen food to China. This virus most likely originated from a lab, either by accident or on purpose.

Every day China does something terrible... thousands fishing boats armed to the teeth stealing all the fish from around the world, today 200 of them are in the phillapines and fillipinos are freaking out.

They are genocidal and very evil.

You are the uninformed one, reading propaganda

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Joe4321

What do you mean you can not use public transport without a Chinese ID?, it is required that you carry ID on you at all times, You can use any part of their public transport system, by you saying this tells me you are nit familiar with that or maybe have got the information second hand, 'have you really been over there'? You can get an extended visa, as I said you need to meet certain criteria, Stop with the make belief stories as you are only making a fool of yourself, try educate yourself on there customers and regulations before trying to look intelligent because all you do is tell people that you are a spoofer.

So how do you think China is doing these days

What do you mean you can not use public transport without a Chinese ID?, it is required that you carry ID on you at all times, You can use any part of their public transport system, by you saying this tells me you are nit familiar with that or maybe have got the information second hand, 'have you really been over there'? You can get an extended visa, as I said you need to meet certain criteria, Stop with the make belief stories as you are only making a fool of yourself, try educate yourself on there customers and regulations before trying to look intelligent because all you do is tell people that you are a spoofer.

You can use a passport to buy a ticket but its a nightmare. I got stranded as Disney because you can only buy a ticket at the machine, which only takes Chinese ID. So you are a spoofer.

You ignored all my other points because you thought you could look smart, when you have no idea at all.

• Advertisement

Why is it a nightmare, is it because you can not speak the language, stop spoofing and wise up, did Mickey mouse not give you a kiss, ahh now I now why your upset, Tell me what you want me to answer, China is a big cultural shock for people traveling there for the first few times, behaviours and procedures are different to most countries but I think the biggest issue some people have is not been prepared for the language barrier, All major cities and tourist attractions would have someone who could speak English, most of the younger generation will have English but if you come across as rude the will not speak it to you, You should know by now because you have been there four time? that by been polite and not panicking will get you a long way over there, slow down and enjoy what's around you. Now tell me what you want me to answer for you? Don't say you can't travel on public transport without Chinese ID card, what you should say is while in China you will need to carry you passport with you on public transport because you can be asked for it at anytime, that is not just for foreigners it for everyone. Don't give the impression that foreigners can not use public transport without having a Chinese ID card because that is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

You can buy train tickets online using a passport, there are many train ticket shops that sell train tickets, you can go to the station and buy tickets.

Your complaint is exactly like someone trying to get on a Dublin bus without change.

Exactly, if you buy train tickets before you go over you can collect them at the ticket office, As was said before, there transport infrastructure is some of the best in the world,

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

Captcha wrote: »
    Actually, I don't rely on third-party information and I have been to China four times. You cannot get a green card even if you marry a Chinese,

China has a racist government that allows next to no foreigners to naturalise.

Do you want to move over there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Piollaire wrote: »
    China has a racist government that allows next to no foreigners to naturalise.

Multiculturalism hasn't exactly been a success and China has a population of 1.4 billion, having more people is not on their agenda.

China relaxed there one child policy years ago, the are in a similar situation to us with having an ageing population and need there need there population to grow at a faster rate

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

If you are Han and keep your head down and just get on with your life nobody is going to bother you there. My wife comes from Wuhan, some of you may have heard of it...and I've been there many times, though many of her family now live in Guangzhou to the south.
    Before the recent New Year Festival period my wife got some calls from relatives asking if she was coming home this year for the festivities in the same sentance as i heard Ireland is number one for Covid..she got the message.
    There really is very little of it over there, life is going on a normal, anyone found to have the virus is put into a virus "hotel" alongside anyone near them. A few cases found and the whole area goes into total lockdown and everyone tested multiple times untill they get the all clear.

My wifes mother was telling her the other day that she was worried becuase a case was detected in Guangzhou about 50km from her location..so its fair to say they are not messing about and people take it seriously. Honestly right now I'd rather be over there than here, at least there everything is open and Guangzhou is already pretty warm!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

@supercell you are 100% correct. Bring on the knockers telling you it's all fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

Supercell wrote: »
    If you are Han and keep your head down and just get on with your life nobody is going to bother you there. My wife comes from Wuhan, some of you may have heard of it...and I've been there many times, though many of her family now live in Guangzhou to the south.
    Before the recent New Year Festival period my wife got some calls from relatives asking if she was coming home this year for the festivities in the same sentance as i heard Ireland is number one for Covid..she got the message.
    There really is very little of it over there, life is going on a normal, anyone found to have the virus is put into a virus "hotel" alongside anyone near them. A few cases found and the whole area goes into total lockdown and everyone tested multiple times untill they get the all clear.

My wifes mother was telling her the other day that she was worried becuase a case was detected in Guangzhou about 50km from her location..so its fair to say they are not messing about and people take it seriously. Honestly right now I'd rather be over there than here, at least there everything is open and Guangzhou is already pretty warm!

I'd love to be in Taiwan where Covid is certainly under control.

That didn't take long

Why is it a nightmare, is it because you can not speak the language, stop spoofing and wise up, did Mickey mouse not give you a kiss, ahh now I now why your upset, Tell me what you want me to answer, China is a big cultural shock for people traveling there for the first few times, behaviours and procedures are different to most countries but I think the biggest issue some people have is not been prepared for the language barrier, All major cities and tourist attractions would have someone who could speak English, most of the younger generation will have English but if you come across as rude the will not speak it to you, You should know by now because you have been there four time? that by been polite and not panicking will get you a long way over there, slow down and enjoy what's around you. Now tell me what you want me to answer for you? Don't say you can't travel on public transport without Chinese ID card, what you should say is while in China you will need to carry you passport with you on public transport because you can be asked for it at anytime, that is not just for foreigners it for everyone. Don't give the impression that foreigners can not use public transport without having a Chinese ID card because that is wrong.

In shanghai all signs are in English and Mandarin. I used public transport extensively even the MagLev train twice(300 kilometres an hour). Never had any problems. I also found the people very friendly.

I was in a restaurant and maybe was visibly having difficulty with the menu. Two teenage girls came over from another table to try and help me. Between them and a waittress with no english I was able to order something and it was delicious.

I did have an issue in a McDonalds because their machine only accepted WePay which I hadn't set up, but with a Ni Hao and a big smile, people were very helpful.

@denartha, wepay/alipay is a must have over there now

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Multiculturalism hasn't exactly been a success and China has a population of 1.4 billion, having more people is not on their agenda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmAx6y9_goM

@denartha, wepay/alipay is a must have over there now

I know that now. And will know for the next time I'm there. God knows when that will be though.

• Advertisement

@denarth, it's looking more like sometime next year, hopefully in time for new year's, if you have never been there for Chinese New year would highly recommend it,

Captcha wrote: »
    Actually, I don't rely on third-party information and I have been to China four times. You cannot get a green card even if you marry a Chinese, if you get a spouse visa you cannot work, you cannot use public transport without a Chinese ID, can you get one of those? Didnt think so... its smoke and mirrors, it is not open to immigrants like most of the rest of the world is.

You have no clue what you are on about, you are literally talking shiiite

Ahh... you can get a green card as a foreigner, and the spousal visa will allow some types of work. It's just that in both cases, it's incredibly difficult and needs some serious connections/relationships (or bribes).

A spousal visa doesn't require you to have a Chinese ID.. and in any case, you can continue using Wechat, or whatever app you chose, to pay your public transport. No Chinese Identification is required for common day transportation. In many cases, you can still pay entirely with cash. It's only a requirement for trains, and even then, there's an option to get it from the ticket office, without having ID. Again, it's just more difficult. Planes though, need some form of ID. In all cases, your passport can used if needed, although they'll (for trains) struggle with using our characters, since it won't enter their booking systems easily.

About the only correct thing you've said, that it isn't as open to migrants as other places might be. And.. China isn't alone in being difficult for foreigners.

Hit and miss.

Considering the size of the country, there is a wide variety of situations, and since each province is free to enact whatever measures they want (unless BJ steps in), you get a whole range of responses to covid.

In Xi'an, my students are back at university.. and my university has a student population of just over 15k, not including faculty, security, and administration. Pretty much all the universities and schools are back operating at normal. Basic situation with covid. 12 day self-regulated isolation that isn't properly followed. The face masks aren't worn by most, although some will do it, although they've always been doing it for the pollution anyway. Bars, KTVs, nightclubs etc are all open as normal. Basically, it's back to normal, with random checks for temperature, although they are keeping track of people's whereabouts and are quick to respond to any infections.

From what my students have said, that's pretty common. Some cities are taking measures closer to what we did before the current stage. Social distancing, and most entertainment is closed. Spaced out seating and standing in all public areas, and public transport.

And then, you have Hebei, which is paranoid beyond belief, and is really keeping an eye out for covid.

All in all, from what I've heard, they're managing quite well. Outbreaks are quickly isolated, and, there hasn't been much spread beyond that. However, as with everything to do with China, take that with a pinch of salt. I suspect there's far more going on than what is being announced, although, if there had been widespread fatalities, I'd imagine I'd know a few who would have died.. and I've heard nothing. All of my friends, students and former students haven't indicated any contact with covid at all, nor have I seen any condolences messages regarding deaths, which would be present at any other time.

So.. I'd say that some areas are pretty bad... but the majority of the country is back to normal. How long that lasts, I have no idea. If there was a single outbreak in my University, it wouldn't take long to spread, and there are another 4 larger universities nearby...

Oranage2 wrote: »

Multiculturalism has been an outright failure throughout all western nations. Ireland is just behind the curve.

As for China, they need to replace a rather hefty aging population, and fertility rates have been dropping significantly over the last few years, combined with the wave of people copying Korea/Japan by opting out of marriage/children entirely. Oh, and the 1.4 Billion people is an estimate.. never trust Chinese provincial authorities to collect accurate data. It could be more, but probably is less.

People tend to look at the industrial and economic giant that China has become, and forget all about the huge agricultural industry needed to feed China, and they've had serious people drain from the countryside into the cities, with no rise in births to make up the difference. The CCP has already initiated funding for families wanting to have more children, with particular attention given to the countryside.. So.. nope. China seriously needs to up it's birthrate, especially since they won't accept immigration as an alternative source of permanent people

• Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

For the past year , everyttime I check China statistics it seams to always have less than a 100 new cases a day - Today 7 new cases - They don't seam to be getting hit by variants, seams to have only affected one city - Wuhan, and only one wave , unlike nearly everywhere else - very strange I'd say.

In shanghai all signs are in English and Mandarin. I used public transport extensively even the MagLev train twice(300 kilometres an hour). Never had any problems. I also found the people very friendly.

Shanghai towards the wealthier areas is pretty much as western city. TBH I find very little about Shanghai that reminds me of CCP type cities, even Shenzhen is closer to being one than Shanghai. Fantastic city but don't judge China by it.

Xi'an is a tourist city.. aimed at both domestic and foreign tourists.. and it can be quite difficult to get around if you haven't learned some pinyin. I live in the new university area to the North, which is rather underdeveloped (although a new subway line has just opened outside my apartment), and ugh,... it's like living in the sticks. I lived a while in Baoji which is a city of about 1 million, and there were no western shops or anything close to it... and about 20 foreigners (not necessarily English speakers) living there at the time. That was hard.

Still... I love China. It forces people to grow or leave. Eventually, most foreigners leave... but it's an awesome culture to behold. Both the good with the bad.

@thebaz, They Brough in mandatory 14day quarantine very quick which would catch most infected people, something we are still hesatent in doing here one year on, any posative cases that do show up the whole area is locked down and tested, it seems to have worked so far as there day to day life is back to normal and no that's not here say its reality, it has not only effects Wuhan it has shown up in other cities but with the system that is in place they smother it fairly quickly, there is knotting strange about that,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

there is knotting strange about that,

Well I find it strange that a country the size of China, 1 and half billion , has less cases than Ireland (less than half) whose population is 5 million - given the virus also originated in China, and Ireland has been in lockdown for nearly 12 months.
    I realise the Wuhan lockdown was way stricter, but I find figures very strange .

@thebaz, They Brough in mandatory 14day quarantine very quick which would catch most infected people, something we are still hesatent in doing here one year on, any posative cases that do show up the whole area is locked down and tested, it seems to have worked so far as there day to day life is back to normal and no that's not here say its reality, it has not only effects Wuhan it has shown up in other cities but with the system that is in place they smother it fairly quickly, there is knotting strange about that,

It's also difficult to get into China. Only one connecting flight is allowed. Which could be fine if you're going to BJ or another major city, but with decreased flights heading to China, it's difficult to get a flight that doesn't have four or more connecting stops.

Which cuts down on the numbers of foreigners and potentially infected people from entering. (In addition to the need to have the tests done two days before the flight, and approved.. which I suspect would be risky to do.. easy to miss your flight waiting for clearance from the embassy)

• Advertisement

thebaz wrote: »
    Well I find it strange that a country the size of China, 1 and half billion , has less cases than Ireland (less than half) whose population is 5 million - given the virus also originated in China, and Ireland has been in lockdown for nearly 12 months.
    I realise the Wuhan lockdown was way stricter, but I find figures very strange .

Nah. There's definitely more cases. I've seen both the standard of living, and the state of their personal hygiene...

There will be far more numbers somewhere, although I do believe that China will be far quicker (than western nations) to mobilize and lock those people down, preventing outbreaks.

Advertisement