Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is China getting on?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Joe4321

@klaz, I was looking at flights and had noticed that aswell, there are still a few flights with one connect which would be normal, hopefully things will get back to normal early next year when people are vaccinated.

Joe4321 wrote: »
    @klaz, I was looking at flights and had noticed that aswell, there are still a few flights with one connect which would be normal, hopefully things will get back to normal early next year when people are vaccinated.

haha... my university is screaming at me to return.. online classes aren't cutting it anymore, with advanced classes/exams coming up. I kinda need to return quicker, but travel is just too dodgy right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

A friend of mine who is a massive traveller had an OK time in China apart from food poisoning on an interminable train journey across the country. One of his rules: police states are good places to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

ttps://www.wbtv.com/2021/03/26/former-cdc-director-thinks-coronavirus-originated-china-lab/

• Advertisement

“That’s my own feelings and only opinion.  I’m allowed to have opinions now,” Redfield said. “You know, I am of the point of view that I still think the most likely ideology of this pathogen in Wuhan was from a laboratory, you know, escaped. Other people don’t believe that. That’s fine. Science will eventually figure it out."

Ahh Science probably won't figure it out. Just as it hasn't figured out, for sure, the origin of many diseases. It's just another conspiracy theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭nc6000

So it either came from the lab in Wuhan or it originated from a bat and jumped to another species like a pangolin then jumped to a person and started to spread in Wuhan. What a coincidence. I find the bat explanation harder to believe.

nc6000 wrote: »
    So it either came from the lab in Wuhan or it originated from a bat and jumped to another species like a pangolin then jumped to a person and started to spread in Wuhan. What a coincidence. I find the bat explanation harder to believe.

Probably because both are theories that haven't been proven. It could have come from any number of sources. Hell, it mightn't even have originated in China, and simply was revealed there. The fact is that we don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

Probably because both are theories that haven't been proven. It could have come from any number of sources. Hell, it mightn't even have originated in China, and simply was revealed there. The fact is that we don't know.

China does not deserve the benefit of the doubt. China's cover ups and misdirection are more than enough for me to accept it came from the Wuhan lab.

As was said, let science figure out where this came from, we have been told here for the last year that we work on science and facts, not here say or I think it came from such a place, when there is an answer let whoever decides come up with what needs to be done, we seem fixated about what's going on in China, fact is China have dealt with this and the rest of the world can not control it mainly down to the fact that every country is acting in there own interests which as we can clearly see is not working, we can't even agree about the alacation of vaccines, let's sort this out and then look to what the source of it was,

• Advertisement

Piollaire wrote: »
    China does not deserve the benefit of the doubt. China's cover ups and misdirection are more than enough for me to accept it came from the Wuhan lab.

Ahh well, if it's just about a blame game, then, sure.. knock your socks off. The CCP are completely untrustworthy and have handled the whole thing extremely badly.

However, if this is about being accurate, and 'scientific' in being concerned with facts, the benefit of doubt must be applied. Simply because there have been widespread claims of individuals experiencing covid all around the world long before it was revealed in China.

China has long since buried any proof and will never allow any scientific or accurate investigation. I will go with the overwhelming balance of evidence.

I heard one claim of covid in France in 2019 and that person had attended the military games in Wuhan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89lodie_Clouvel

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0331/1207197-yvonne-murray-bbc-john-sudworth-china/

Irish journalist Yvonne Murray, who reports for RTÉ News and Current Affairs from China, has been forced to leave the country because of mounting pressure from the Chinese authorities.

Lovely bunch of lads over there... Joe4321, ill personally pay for your one way ticket to migrate to mainland China but you gotta give up forever your Irish passport and promise to never own a free countries passport again. Maybe you could get a Chinese passport?

@catpcha, why you so angry, chil out, have a drink or what every child you out,

@catpcha, why you so angry, chil out, have a drink or what every child you out,

I'm not angry, I'm just trying to help you :D

Seems like your the one who needs the help

Seems like your the one who needs the help

I love a bit of help I do

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

When you go to any country you've to respect their rules. Hardly surprising

So even some of the staff in the Wuhan lab thought Covid leaked from there.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0330/1206929-world-pandemic-treaty/

Oranage2 wrote: »
    When you go to any country you've to respect their rules. Hardly surprising

What a statement. Doing her job as a journalist is disrespectful? What's surprising and terrifying is how many pro-CCP heads are here.

• Advertisement

What a statement. Doing her job as a journalist is disrespectful? What's surprising and terrifying is how many pro-CCP heads are here.

Did you even read the article?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Murray and her hubby were no journalists, they were propagandists.

From what I garner from other websites they were being sued by people they had slandered, and hence decided to do a midnight runner.

If it was the Chinese government was after them they would never have got out so easy.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Did you even read the article?

Do you even know what a journalist is?

Do you even know what a journalist is?

Can you even read?

archer22 wrote: »
    Murray and her hubby were no journalists, they were propagandists.

From what I garner from other websites they were being sued by people they had slandered, and hence decided to do a midnight runner.

If it was the Chinese government was after them they would never have got out so easy.

Wow China really is taking over and winning the propaganda war. All foreign journalists are severely restricted or being driven out of the authoritarian state for showing the world what is really going on there.

nc6000 wrote: »
    So even some of the staff in the Wuhan lab thought Covid leaked from there.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0330/1206929-world-pandemic-treaty/

Where does it say that in the article?

"On the laboratory accident hypothesis, the Danish scientist said the natural initial reaction to the outbreak of the virus, in a city housing virology labs, was to make the connection between the two.

"Even the staff in these labs told us that was their first reaction," Ben Embarek told journalists.

"They all went back to their records... but nobody could find any trace of something similar to this virus in their records or their samples.

"Nobody has been able to pick up any firm arguments or proof or evidence that any of these labs would have been involved in a lab leak accident.
    ""

A reaction. A possible connection. But no actual stating of facts or evidence by the staff or anyone else to prove that connection existed.

Wow China really is taking over and winning the propaganda war. All foreign journalists are severely restricted or being driven out of the authoritarian state for showing the world what is really going on there.

I think we need to treat them exactly the way they treat others... This would make things more equal and then we decide what further steps are needed.

Ideally, a complete disconnect from investment and supply chains over the next decade should be underway, Hong Kong included.

Where does it say that in the article?

"On the laboratory accident hypothesis, the Danish scientist said the natural initial reaction to the outbreak of the virus, in a city housing virology labs, was to make the connection between the two.

"Even the staff in these labs told us that was their first reaction," Ben Embarek told journalists.

"They all went back to their records... but nobody could find any trace of something similar to this virus in their records or their samples.

"Nobody has been able to pick up any firm arguments or proof or evidence that any of these labs would have been involved in a lab leak accident.
    ""

A reaction. A possible connection. But no actual stating of facts or evidence by the staff or anyone else to prove that connection existed.

It's says it right there in the part of the article you quoted.

I never said there was an actual stating of facts or any evidence by the staff.

I'm not sure why you're saying I did.

""

None of them would be willing to have themselves or their families put in a Chinese gulag to provide that evidence. This is the most blatant cover up of all time.

• Advertisement

Pro-CCP? That's funny, since few of you have any real idea of what the CCP is, and the actual influence it has in China.

In any case, I find your attitude amusing. China is a brutal totalitarian state, a police state with decades long history of being untrustworthy, and paranoid about western media. And yet, you want to hold China up to some kind of western standards of behavior, as if they're behaving different than they normally do.

They've been pushing western media out of China since forever. They don't like western attention of what they consider to be internal affairs. Any journalist digging around, and posting negative articles about China's behavior is going to get kicked out. That's a known situation.. and yet, you're all so offended by it. Why the surprise? Why the shock? You should have expected it to happen, and honestly, I'm surprised they allowed her to continue reporting as long as she did.

Advertisement