Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is China getting on?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

China has it's ups and downs but I'd much rather live in China than Ireland. Safer, more things to do, better quality of life. Overall a great place for an ordinary person.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

Oranage2 wrote: »
    China has it's ups and downs but I'd much rather live in China than Ireland. Safer, more things to do, better quality of life. Overall a great place for an ordinary person.

I have lived in China for 4 years. You are either a troll or deluded.

Qiaonasen wrote: »
    I have lived in China for 4 years. You are either a troll or deluded.

I'm neither

I'm neither

Let's settle on misinformed then.

Qiaonasen wrote: »
    Let's settle on misinformed then.

Different cultures and lifestyles aren't for everyone

• Advertisement

I don't understand how can you think there is more things to do in China than in Ireland or how life quality would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

You can say that again. My other half spent 68 days in total out there last year. She was in a 'McDonalds type' restaurant one day. There was two Chinese women and a few kids sitting nearby. One of the kids stood up on the table. His mother produced a plastic bag. The kid pi$$ed into the plastic bag. They then carried on eating as normal. That's just one story. I have loads.

I've lived here for nearly a decade, I've seen it all. Just have to embrace it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Gradius wrote: »

After having been the root cause of this pandemic, they are actively using the weakness of other countries to buy up everything they can at rock bottom prices. Like vulture funds, but country-size.

There are websites devoted to Chinese "buyers" for Ireland now that opportunity knocks. How nice of them.

Wait a minute. Our leaders would never take the Chinaman's shilling and sell us out. :rolleyes:

https://irelandchinainstitute.ie/board-of-directors/

And don't be ridiculous. There's no way they'd be colluding with the CCP in their plan to take over the world to take over the world. You're a conspiracy theorist. :rolleyes:

https://irelandchinainstitute.ie/research-interests/

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Isn't it a bit simplistic to compare China to Ireland? I mean, it's got 1.4 billion people and its double the area of the EU. I'm sure in some parts of the country China is better on every conceivable aspect than Ireland and in other areas worse on every aspect.

I'm personally amazed at their success, early on I was a big skeptic of their numbers but I'm not so skeptical anymore. I think they are actually just really going for it on every front, they don't just lock down they are also making huge efforts on every front, in terms of research (multiple vaccines in the works), very impressive levels of testing and innovate methods too, their surveillance is comprehensive too. Of course it helps to be a country where privacy is much less an obstacle (not something I'm keen to have here), regardless though, they are trying in every way, unlike us who are content to take the most simplistic approach and then just blame people when it doesn't succeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Unless you are part of an ethnic minority or an expendable worker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Go ahead and tell that to the Uyghurs who are in the lovely Chinese re-education camps, or tell that to the Tibetans.
    Unless ....... you don't see them as ordinary people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Kivaro wrote: »
    Go ahead and tell that to the Uyghurs who are in the lovely Chinese re-education camps, or tell that to the Tibetans.
    Unless ....... you don't see them as ordinary people.
    Pretty restrictive for the Han majority too if you like being able to comment on how the country is run.

Can we actually take a minute here?

People are saying China is better ran than the Ireland of today. A country which is trying to ethnically cleanse it's muslim population?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Can we actually take a minute here?

People are saying China is better ran than the Ireland of today. A country which is trying to ethnically cleanse it's muslim population?

You can critisize a country for truthful reasons without claiming exaggerations that aren't true. For all the horrible things going on in that province, it is incorrect to say that China is trying to "ethnically cleanse" its entire Muslim population everywhere. Been to plenty of Chinese cities where Muslim people are quite happy with life.

Second of all - as a tenant in Dublin, the capital of Ireland, I am denied water, I am treated like absolute dog**** by my landlord, and there is little next to no help or justice offered from the government. Just one example, and plenty of people are worse off than me.

So yes, here's your minute and consider that. You may have a good life in Ireland, not everyone does.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Pretty restrictive for the Han majority too if you like being able to comment on how the country is run.

Not to mention the complete sh!tshow of Hong Kong which is kind of amounting to a military annexation.

If you are relatively upper middle class might have a better quality of life in china, but the vast majority wouldn't.

Come on, this thread is about how they handled the pandemic. Any general comparison of China and Ireland is too complicated for these glib posts.

They handled the pandemic way better than we have. Unless you doubt their numbers, and I used to be a skeptic, but from messages I get from inside the country its hard to keep doubting the numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

they have the money, logistics and obedience to handle any kind of pandemic. no where on earth can beat them on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

froog wrote: »
    they have the money, logistics and obedience to handle any kind of pandemic. no where on earth can beat them on that.
    The 'obedience' isn't naturally offered, it's enforced, with penalty.

They are indeed world leaders in many arenas, at a cost.
    There is the likelyhood that the leaders in the 'West' will have to replicate this model, going forward. Not out of natural choice or desire, but competitive necessity, thanks to a combination of very unique circumstances, again with great social cost.

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+great+reset
    https://www.bing.com/search?q=the+great+reset

froog wrote: »

I'm not suggesting we copy them or if it would even be feasible, but their results weren't good just because they hove those resources listed, we take it for granted now that you lockdown, but they basically invented the approach, nobody really thought you could prevent the spread of a respiratory virus like that, and they executed their plan amazingly well. We haven't come up with a good custom Irish approach and we have also executed our bad imitation of theirs very poorly, meaning we get more and longer restrictions and more death and disease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

China has curbs and bans on SM with controls on its pop unlike western democracies who have locally elected representation
    So believe the ccp script or face there wroath
    The initial outbreak was covered up, no international investigation, yet "China delays approval of the list submitted by WHO

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭aziz

Just read in a music production magazine (FOH online) that China held a dance music festival in august/ September over 20 days that drew over 100 000 people !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Our system is superior to China's in many ways but they and other East Asian countries have done far better than us in the West in this pandemic. There's no way that even the CCP could hide large outbreaks of Covid if they were still occurring. Their ability to test an entire city of millions of people in a few days is something we could all learn from. Next time a nasty virus appears we may have to go into at least full Taiwanese mode to stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Our system is superior to China's in many ways but they and other East Asian countries have done far better than us in the West in this pandemic. There's no way that even the CCP could hide large outbreaks of Covid if they were still occurring. Their ability to test an entire city of millions of people in a few days is something we could all learn from. Next time a nasty virus appears we may have to go into at least full Taiwanese mode to stop it.

Very true. If you are hidebound by dogma + can't adapt to face a new situation successfully your society is in trouble imo + there needs to be a bit of a rethink of approach.
    This Covid-19 episode has revealed such problems in the West in general (poor political leadership, weakened public sectors that have so decayed under a constant "privatisation/deregulation" economic dogma that they cannot respond to a crisis, fixation on needs of "the economy"/wealthy interests above all, and a large segment of the public that is selfish & ignorant despite all the money that is spent on education).

Maybe they were all immunised pre pandemic. Let a few thousand die in Wuhan and broadcast the propaganda everywhere then allow it to escape deliberately. They have zero respect for human life anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Maybe they were all immunised pre pandemic. Let a few thousand die in Wuhan and broadcast the propaganda everywhere then allow it to escape deliberately. They have zero respect for human life anyway.

China is horrible but they are also (unfortunately) an economic, military & technological superpower with all the resources that entails. I think alot of people have not (even now) fully woken up to that very depressing fact.

In situations like this (warfare, pandemics, other sorts of natural disasters) a competent autocracy has an advantage over democracy.
    Why do democracies have "emergency powers" and the like to cope with such situations?

fly_agaric wrote: »
    China is horrible but they are also (unfortunately) an economic, military & technological superpower with all the resources that entails. I think alot of people have not (even now) fully woken up to that depressing fact.

In situations like this (warfare, pandemics, other sorts of natural disasters) a competent autocracy has an advantage over democracy.
    Why do democracies have "emergency powers" and the like to cope with such situations?

They should never have been allowed to join the WTO.

Fatal mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

I have to ask though,
    What about those videos and photos of people dropping dead on the streets in wuhan that we all seen at the start of this pandemic, if there was photo evidence of 4 or 5 people dropping dead then there must have been a lot more that we didn't see, how come we didn't see this happening anywhere else in the world.
    It is amazing that they could go from that to a 15000 strong pool party in the space of 6 month's.

gw80 wrote: »
    I have to ask though,
    What about those videos and photos of people dropping dead on the streets in wuhan that we all seen at the start of this pandemic, if there was photo evidence of 4 or 5 people dropping dead then there must have been a lot more that we didn't see, how come we didn't see this happening anywhere else in the world.
    It is amazing that they could go from that to a 15000 strong pool party in the space of 6 month's.

They wanted to cause maximum economic damage world wide. Don't worry. When Biden gets in China will be appeased once more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There's a couple of issues with this. Out breaks in China are still being reported. But they just seem to disappear from media very quickly. Also a lot of PPE and testing kits they supplied didn't work or were faulty. So either they did that deliberately or they didn't know. If they didn't know. Then what are they using internally. It must have similar failure rates.

That's the best case scenario.

Advertisement