Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is China getting on?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Solar2021

biko wrote: »
    New Year's eve in Wuhan, no vaccine administered but they are apparently fine.

Do you not believe Wuhan is Covid free? Personally I believe they are

Did New Zealand and other Covid free area's have those type celebrations?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

Solar2021 wrote: »

I very much doubt they are covid free in Wuhan. I also doubt that if they weren't they would say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Thesomersarms

The chinese government cannot be trusted on anything they say, a dictatorship, boils my blood to see the rest of the world tear itself apart and they hold a party in Wuhan, the epicentre of this catastrophe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Covid free? No such thing...

Only thing that may allow the Chinese to resume some sort of normality is that they still have the borders locked down and the strain which is in Europe and USA is different to the Wuhan strain so while it's still spreading i'm sure it's not happening as quickly as the aforementioned...

I very much doubt they are covid free in Wuhan. I also doubt that if they weren't they would say otherwise.

If countries like New Zealand can manage it, I am sure China can

Do you agree?

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Covid free? No such thing...

Only thing that may allow the Chinese to resume some sort of normality is that they still have the borders locked down and the strain which is in Europe and USA is different to the Wuhan strain so while it's still spreading i'm sure it's not happening as quickly as the aforementioned...

Think they are reporting about 20 cases a day in China

Not Covid free, but managing like other countries

If not other country could contain Covid, I wouldn't believe China but many have it contained

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

China has been and continually is fighting efforts to find the origin of the Covid-19 virus.

Blocking research in April 2020
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-52420536

Jails reporter for investigating
    https://www.euractiv.com/section/china/news/china-jails-citizen-journalist-for-four-years-over-wuhan-virus-reporting/

Investigators may never know how Covid-19 emerged in the country — and how to stop it from happening again.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2020-12-30/china-is-making-it-harder-to-solve-the-mystery-of-how-covid-began

Guess we can finally confirm Sars Cov 2 was a lab leak from Wuhan's laboratory

China have blocked WHO from investigating Wuhan

WHO director confirmed it today

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/china-blocks-who-investigators-access-to-wuhan-20210106-p56rzu.html

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/china-blocks-who-investigators-access-to-wuhan-20210106-p56rzu.html

Conspiracy theories forum is dat-a-way my guy.

========>

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Conspiracy theories forum is dat-a-way my guy.

========>

Of all the conspiracy theories, China releasing this virus intentionally or unintentionally, is really not very far fetched. But sure they're banning WHO investigators, totally normal.

• Advertisement

Of all the conspiracy theories, China releasing this virus intentionally or unintentionally, is really not very far fetched. But sure they're banning WHO investigators, totally normal.

True

Anyone that believes this came from someone eating a bat that met the wrong pangolin and landed in a modern metropolitan city of Wuhan is an idiot imo

Wuhan is not the jungles of Vietnam, its like London

Then again most people believe in a god in the sky, but don't believe this
    :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

China have serious questions to answer but obviously don't want to answer :-
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/05/china-blocks-entry-to-who-team-studying-covids-origins

A disgrace , as the rest of the world goes from disaster to disaster , China is suddenly mirraclously ok , with ther daily 20 cases - Peoplle are starting to see what the CCP are really like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Bellejelles

If you don't say china is doing great you disappear into reeducation camps
    Chinese covid vaccine has killed people in Brazil and peru but you don't hear about it in china..

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/china-sentences-wuhan-whistleblower-to-four-years-in-prison

• Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I have been critical of WHO in the early days, but fair play to them in calling out China for ther lack of tranperancy and help in trying to get behind what caused this horrible virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

China gave us Covid

USA gave us a vaccine. As did the UK, you know, Americas partner in crime.

Oh sorry, did I just say sometime positive about the West. Do forgive me, I hope I haven't broken any charter rules, written or unwritten.

Once this is all over I hope the West's commentariat will get their priorities straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This has to be unacceptable to the international community suffering the consequences today for recklessness and evasion at the very beginning of this disease.

https://twitter.com/TomTugendhat/status/1346763090650685443

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

True

Anyone that believes this came from someone eating a bat that met the wrong pangolin and landed in a modern metropolitan city of Wuhan is an idiot imo

Wuhan is not the jungles of Vietnam, its like London

Then again most people believe in a god in the sky, but don't believe this
    :-(

Where did Spanish flu come from?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Likely the Far East again, mutating in America and the coming to Europe where selection pressures because of WW1 gave rise to a second variant that was far more deadly than the first wave variant.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

So a year on, how is China getting on?

I thought China has a vaccine. With the way how quickly they move you would think their whole population would be vaccinated by now. But they've just put two cities in lockdown and will be testing every resident, something like 6 million people to be tested over two days.

Or do the Chinese face the same problems we do with the vaccines? They can't vaccinate unless they actually have the vaccines. So needs time to make them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

thebaz wrote: »
    I have been critical of WHO in the early days, but fair play to them in calling out China for ther lack of tranperancy and help in trying to get behind what caused this horrible virus.

Might lead to those at the top receiving more lenient sentences when the criminal trials take place down the road.
    If Tedros avoids a lenghty/life sentence everything will have been in vain.
    Others with him have serious questions to answer, none less so than Irishman Michael Ryan.
    Pray that justice will be served.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

washman3 wrote: »
    Might lead to those at the top receiving more lenient sentences when the criminal trials take place down the road.
    If Tedros avoids a lenghty/life sentence everything will have been in vain.
    Others with him have serious questions to answer, none less so than Irishman Michael Ryan.
    Pray that justice will be served.

What are you talking about? What justice? What crime have they committed?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

AllForIt wrote: »
    China gave us Covid

USA gave us a vaccine. As did the UK, you know, Americas partner in crime.

Oh sorry, did I just say sometime positive about the West. Do forgive me, I hope I haven't broken any charter rules, written or unwritten.

Once this is all over I hope the West's commentariat will get their priorities straight.

What vaccine did the US give us?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

So a year on, how is China getting on?

Travelling inlands is not restricted for a long time. Some public places are closed. In rare occasions when cluster discovered government do everything to isolate area and do total testing, locals trying to escape from blocked areas, but seems they (Chinese govt) are able to maintain infection rate on really low level. This is my impression from what friends living there writing/photographying..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

A relative of mine has taken a plane trip to Hainan Island, travel doesn't seem to be restricted in any way.
    There was a case in Shanghai airport and they did some testing, I think over 10k people were tested in all.
    So it looks like aggressive test and trace is what they are doing to keep it under control, seems to work for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

How on earth has there only been a total of something like 1500 cases in the entire area of Shanghai throughout the whole pandemic? and 7 deaths?

and China has had a total of 87k cases throughout the entire pandemic too, which seems a little low for a country of over a billion people.. considering India are in the millions.

DaSilva wrote: »
    What are you talking about? What justice? What crime have they committed?

Have you been living in a cave these last few months.??
    Looks very likely you have.
    Just take one of them for now, Tedros, and google his name for yourself.
    A truely horrible indispicible creature than should be rotting in a prison long before this particular crisis began.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭CharlieHaghy

China are a great bunch of lads.

How on earth has there only been a total of something like 1500 cases in the entire area of Shanghai throughout the whole pandemic? and 7 deaths?

and China has had a total of 87k cases throughout the entire pandemic too, which seems a little low for a country of over a billion people.

Ask the World Health Organisation (WHO). They are being paid megabucks to know why this is happening. They are the people that need to ask the hard questions.!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭CharlieHaghy

washman3 wrote: »
    Ask the World Health Organisation (WHO). They are being paid megabucks to know why this is happening. They are the people that need to ask the hard questions.!!

Let’s be honest who are exactly WHO?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It came from a chicken farm in America.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Likely the Far East again, mutating in America and the coming to Europe where selection pressures because of WW1 gave rise to a second variant that was far more deadly than the first wave variant.

Bulls,hit. It came from a chicken farm in America. A couple of lads from that farm went to fight in WW1 and did not know they bad it but it then killed thousands on the ships going across the Atlantic and many thousands more got infected and spread it on the war fields.
    The reason ot was named the Spanish flu is because the Spanish named it as no one else would be cause they were all involved in the War and thought people had enough bad things to be working about but the Spanish were neutral.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement