Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Medical appointments related to antenatal care' & Breastfeeding

Options
  • 28-08-2020 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Pregnant teachers are entitled to time off of work, without loss of pay, to:

'Attend medical appointments related to antenatal care.'

Sorry if this is a silly question, but does this apply only to consultant/hospital appointments? Or does it also apply to my GP visits? I've searched online and can't find a response.

Also, while I'm here, I've read the thread from 2018 re: changes to breastfeeding break entitlements (up to 104 weeks). I am wondering how this has been working on the ground as I do not know anyone who has availed of it. It is my intention, all going well, to breastfeed exclusively while I am on maternity leave, with the possibility of taking breastfeeding breaks for the 2021/2022 year. But I see it is still a case of S&S being used. How would that work if I am taking the breaks for the entire school year? It seems grossly unfair - especially since there is a net benefit to the state in terms of future health. I assume that it is the result of some EU directive and this is the department's way of not paying for it, but how has it been working in your school? I don't want to piss off my colleagues for an entire year, but I do want to do what is best for me and my baby.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Sorry if this is a silly question, but does this apply only to consultant/hospital appointments? Or does it also apply to my GP visits? I've searched online and can't find a response.

Yes all GP visits related to your antenatal care are covered, you can request a cert stating that you were attending an antenatal appt.

I have no experience of the breastfeeding breaks but I would say do not worry for a second about pissing off your colleagues for a year. Shame on them if they direct anger towards you, you're entitled to the breaks and it's up to management to make sure you get them whatever way that happens. Get your union involved if you have to. Absolutely no reason to tiptoe around colleagues for your entitlements, and as you say yourself its what's best for baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Yes all GP visits related to your antenatal care are covered, you can request a cert stating that you were attending an antenatal appt.

I have no experience of the breastfeeding breaks but I would say do not worry for a second about pissing off your colleagues for a year. Shame on them if they direct anger towards you, you're entitled to the breaks and it's up to management to make sure you get them whatever way that happens. Get your union involved if you have to. Absolutely no reason to tiptoe around colleagues for your entitlements, and as you say yourself its what's best for baby.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Pregnant teachers are entitled to time off of work, without loss of pay, to:

'Attend medical appointments related to antenatal care.'

Also, while I'm here, I've read the thread from 2018 re: changes to breastfeeding break entitlements (up to 104 weeks). I am wondering how this has been working on the ground as I do not know anyone who has availed of it. It is my intention, all going well, to breastfeed exclusively while I am on maternity leave, with the possibility of taking breastfeeding breaks for the 2021/2022 year. But I see it is still a case of S&S being used. How would that work if I am taking the breaks for the entire school year? It seems grossly unfair - especially since there is a net benefit to the state in terms of future health. I assume that it is the result of some EU directive and this is the department's way of not paying for it, but how has it been working in your school? I don't want to piss off my colleagues for an entire year, but I do want to do what is best for me and my baby.

The breastfeeding breaks were a disaster for me. Half the time no one came to relieve me so I never got them! Wouldn’t leave my class unattended. Ended up with mastitis twice and clogged ducts more times than I want to remember!! It was so so stressful. Then don’t get me started on horrible parents demanding to know where I was!!

I just had my third child and all going well I am just going to take this year. Then all use parental leave for the following 3 years. Too much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Millem wrote: »
    The breastfeeding breaks were a disaster for me. Half the time no one came to relieve me so I never got them! Wouldn’t leave my class unattended. Ended up with mastitis twice and clogged ducts more times than I want to remember!! It was so so stressful. Then don’t get me started on horrible parents demanding to know where I was!!

I just had my third child and all going well I am just going to take this year. Then all use parental leave for the following 3 years. Too much hassle.

That's horrendous. I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience. We have one hour classes, so surely a timetable reduction for the year would be the best thing - but the S&S part just fecks it up entirely. Were management not supportive when your colleagues would not relieve you? Were you taking the breaks for an entire school year? Was it the same classes/time every day/week?

Yes, I hope you manage to take the year for yourself and your family. It sounds like your school isn't supportive at all. I'm already stressed about all this and my first child isn't due until December. I'd love to take a 5 year career break and just have and raise my family, but alas - the mortgage needs to be paid.

That's horrendous. I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience. We have one hour classes, so surely a timetable reduction for the year would be the best thing - but the S&S part just fecks it up entirely. Were management not supportive when your colleagues would not relieve you? Were you taking the breaks for an entire school year? Was it the same classes/time every day/week?

Yes, I hope you manage to take the year for yourself and your family. It sounds like your school isn't supportive at all. I'm already stressed about all this and my first child isn't due until December. I'd love to take a 5 year career break and just have and raise my family, but alas - the mortgage needs to be paid.

Circular states s and s has to be used :(

Don’t stress. Breastfeeding can be hit and miss anyway. My son was a disaster and refused a bottle! I fed him till he was 2.

Be prepared for horrible unsupportive members of staff! From my experience they were female!! The males were always so nice about it.

• Advertisement

Yes I was meant to take it at the same time. I didn’t take it every day as I ended up with 2 half days....we have a half day on a Wednesday.

If I was to do it again I would ask for the first hour every day5 days a week. That way you could feed the baby again in the morning. Plus not your problem if colleagues don’t show up for s and s.
    Sometimes my VP didn’t even put down cover!!

Advertisement