Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Continental GP5000 clincher tyres

Options
  • 28-08-2020 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if these tyres slip on easily by hand? It appears that some tyres are more difficult to fit than others and wondering where GP5000s are ranked?

The only tyres that I have experience in fitting are Mavic Yksion pro to roadbike and Marathon Plus to a hybrid, both of which slip on easily and as a result I do not have tyre levers! Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you think marathon plus are easy to fit, i suspect you'll be OK with any tyre. they have a fearsome reputation from all i've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I've fit these to two of my wheelsets now and don't think I could put them on by hand. Always the way, one goes on easy enough, the other needed bit more persuasion! Be worth picking up a set of tyre levers anyway, only a few euro.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I got them on ok, but I almost always use tyre levers on every tyre. They weren't particularly difficult to fit. I only used the lever once at the end on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

I've heard the tubeless ready version of the GP5000 is very tight. It also depends on your rim width and profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Depends on your wheels. I have an old set of Fast Forward wheels and couldn't get the 5000's onto them! I ended up fitting Pirelli P zeros instead.
    I also have a Fulcrum wheelset and the 5000's went on no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

gaffmaster wrote: »
    It also depends on your rim width and profile.

Agreed.

I fitted a pair of GP5000 to a set of Fulcrum R3 wheels. Tyre levers were required but it wasn't a struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Depends on your wheels. I have an old set of Fast Forward wheels and couldn't get the 5000's onto them! I ended up fitting Pirelli P zeros instead.
    I also have a Fulcrum wheelset and the 5000's went on no problem.

Thanks for that, should have mentioned that the wheels are Mavic Ksyrium Elites - the mavic tyres slip on easily - despite the fact that I have had several pairs of these over the years, I decided to go for GP5000's on this occasion, hopefully, will not regret the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

eeeee wrote: »
    I got them on ok, but I almost always use tyre levers on every tyre. They weren't particularly difficult to fit. I only used the lever once at the end on them.

I second that. I fitted gp 5000 32 clinchers recently on my bike and found one flew on while the other was a bit of a pig. I needed tyre levers.

They are amazing when on though. People raved about them and I didn't think they would live up to the hype. They are better than I expected and no punctures yet but now I'm going to get one.

I had stock giant fondos tubeless on it and would not touch tubeless again. I just don't like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Agree with byrnem31 re prerformance - read lots of mixed reviews but can't fault them especially after racing in Corkagh last night in torrential rain where they maintained great handling

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Recently got a set with some new wheels and they rolled on by hand fairly easily for me. I would not normally be that good with getting tyres on by hand!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement