Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster vs CONNACHT match thread

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Worst interpro in recent years?

Yeah pretty much.
    Training game now for munster.

Connacht only have themselves to blame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Good team try. Now empty the bench?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Munster need to get anyone of value off the pitch ASAP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

This is what Munster should have been doing in the first half. Think the blood must've been rushing to the heads as their decision making was poor. Needed that half time break to calm down.

This could get very nasty unless munster take the foot off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

VANG1 wrote: »
    Who will get man of the match?

The way Toland has been going on, probably Papalii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

Aki. He gave it to a player from the losing team last week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The way Toland has been going on, probably Papalii

He’ll give it to Aki.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Why are Munster kicking the ball

They are playing v 13

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Good handling from the 3 front row forwards there. Conway will be a bit disappointed.

We need him says Toland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

That's awful from Munster. Route 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

A lot of Munster off feet for me which were being penalised are no longer being. V inconsistent .

I thought you had to stay on your feet

And supporting your weight

• Advertisement

Was that John Ryan doing a "beast"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭StevenToast

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Was that John Ryan doing a "beast"?

It was Cloete

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It's not often you see a rugby side being a one man team, but with Aki and Connacht that's really the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Without Bundee Connach really would be just awful

It was Cloete

Highly impressive strength

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Nice try.
    Earls did really well to catch Aki

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Liam Toland is comfortably the biggest bellend on commentary in any sport...

He even looks like a literal bellend

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

People are aware you can mute the commentary.
    I do it for about half the games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

VANG1 wrote: »
    Who will get man of the match?
    Frank Murphy for Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Without Bundee Connach really would be just awful

You know this is a scratch team with a back row with two debutants, a centre combination that never played together, a back three with one academy player, and one guy not on full contract coming back from long term injury yeah? With two sendings off and losing their fullback and most experienced player early on to injury.

In a game against a close to full strength Munster team looking to secure qualification for semi finals.

I would be more worried about Munster’s one dimensional play if I were you. Based on today Leinster will beat them by 20 next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Think Munster's passing has been much better in this second half, nice quick offloads.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Have only watched the last 5 minutes and seen 4 unforced penalties and a knock on. Think I'll delete the recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭testtech05

Buer wrote: »
    Have only watched the last 5 minutes and seen 4 unforced penalties and a knock on. Think I'll delete the recording.

I think that's a good decision!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

ClanofLams wrote: »
    You know this is a scratch team with a back row with two debutants, a centre combination that never played together, a back three with one academy player, and one guy not on full contract coming back from long term injury yeah? With two sendings off and losing their fullback and most experienced player early on to injury.

In a game against a close to full strength Munster team looking to secure qualification for semi finals.

I would be more worried about Munster’s one dimensional play if I were you. Based on today Leinster will beat them by 20 next week.

Clearly Munster will need to improve next week, but if Munster play anything like last week they'll make a game of it.

Munster have been piss poor here, had 2 yellows, and have still put 50 on the board,

without Bundee connacht havent had a lot today, of course discipline hasnt helped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I think Beirne got MoM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

ClanofLams wrote: »

Munster not really wanting to show any strike plays, job done, pointless doing anything but running the clock down.

Munster not really wanting to show any strike plays, job done, pointless doing anything but running the clock down.

Those strike plays are a bit like the moves Joe Schmidt was holding back for World Cup. Often referenced, never seen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

They conceded so many penalties trying to stop 13 men scoring before half time that they had two men sin binned. I'd be worried about that if I was a Munster fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I don't think anyone can take anything from that game. It was a shambles. It'll do Munster no good ahead of playing Leinster next week anyway. Connacht might actually take more from it in the end if it helps their discipline ahead of the new season.

Frank Murphy will have a sore throat tonight from blowing his whistle.

35 penalties according to ESPN

I think Leinster will be slight favourites, a semifinal is always close. They will be well rested and be much better at the breakdown and line out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Clearly Munster will need to improve next week, but if Munster play anything like last week they'll make a game of it.

Munster have been piss poor here, had 2 yellows, and have still put 50 on the board,

without Bundee connacht havent had a lot today, of course discipline hasnt helped
    Munster did have 2 yellows but were playing against 13 from the 35th minute. Bundee was excellent but that Munster were so poor is not a good sign for next week
    Well theyd have been better off trying to play rugby then what they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Shame about the 5 day turnaround for Munster and the 2 week turnaround the majority of the starting Leinster...

Weird game. Thought Munster were quite good in the first 20 mins or so. Connacht with some very soft penalties even before the 2 reds. Didn't think it was a particularly dirty or cynical game, but the penalty count and especially the red cards decided it. It was a bit of a mess from there on out.

Job done tho with no injuries. That's what we wanted, move onto next week now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭mun1

Job done . pretty handy training run in the end .
    Not great preparation for next week though and couldn’t get over the 50 point mark, which should have been the target based on the team they put out.

pity Connaught could make a game of it, second red settled the contest.
    No injuries hopefully , Roll on next week where a much tougher challenge awaits.
    Ireland should make sure aki gets a decent rest for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I don't think anyone can take anything from that game. It was a shambles. It'll do Munster no good ahead of playing Leinster next week anyway. Connacht might actually take more from it in the end if it helps their discipline ahead of the new season.
    Think that's a pretty fair assessment. Munster would have been happy with that beforehand. 13 men meant they could just have a training exercise in reality and will have expended no real energy with a short turnaround.

But they also didn't have an opportunity to get any cohesion or fluidity due to the nature of the game. The one thing that stood out in the 10 minutes that I watched was the lack of smarts. Poor enough execution and, if they just wanted to kill the clock, they should have just poked it into the acres of space and touch afforded by only 13 men covering the opposition field.

Still going to be a full blooded semi final and certainly not beyond Munster to pinch it.

They have beaten Leinster one out of the last eight, when James Lowe was sent off after half hour in Thomond.

Making a game out of it is the most they can hope for but would be surprised if they keep within 10 of Leinster.

I missed the last 15 minutes, I assume little of note happened? A farcical game all told.

Quinn Roux will want to forget today. If the captain sets the tone for his team then he had a nightmare. Unlike the one of red cards he was involved in multiple incidents. Some headless penalties which eventually lead to Conor Oliver copping a team yellow card. Soon after Connacht's prospects ended.

Munster's first half after the AP red card was terrible fare. They seemed to lose as much cohesion as Connacht did at the time when Connacht were bulling and there for the taking. Munster should have had an unassailable lead by the break.

DDA was very good I thought. He's got a bit of everything: Power, pace, hands and workrate. He and Farrell are going to be crucial on Friday, if Leinster nullify them I'm not sure how Munster can win.

I think the main question for the starting 15 next week is who starts at 7. TOD was poor last week, Cloete never seems to be too far away from giving away a penalty (this week by needlessly getting involved when cooler heads were needed) and JOD has only had 20 mins or so off the bench.

We’ve had some issues with out maul D against both Leinster and Connacht so I think I’d favour JOD.

6-2 split with POM/JOD/CJ starting and Holland/Cloete/JOS on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

aloooof wrote: »
    I think the main question for the starting 15 next week is who starts at 7. TOD was poor last week, Cloete never seems to be too far away from giving away a penalty (this week by needlessly getting involved when cooler heads were needed) and JOD has only had 20 mins or so off the bench.

We’ve had some issues with out maul D against both Leinster and Connacht so I think I’d favour JOD.

I'd agree with you on JOD. Looked powerful when became on and adds a more dynamic threat than Cloete. Also less inclined to give away silly penalties.

Cloete will be an ideal impact sub, it's just you don't know if it's going to be a positive or negative one. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Just watched the game on TG4. The main thing to take out of that was..............

Aki is unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

aloooof wrote: »
    This suggests there was contact with neck/head:

https://twitter.com/MicilGlennon/status/1300082931134758913

Looks like incidental contact to me. Murray's head would be tilted the other way if it was direct to the head. As it is his head has come forward and potentially hit Papali'i because his body is being driven backwards. Papali'i's playing with fire trying such a dominant upright tackle, but it's not a red card, for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Looks like incidental contact to me. Murray's head would be tilted the other way if it was direct to the head. As it is his head has come forward and potentially hit Papali'i because his body is being driven backwards. Papali'i's playing with fire trying such a dominant upright tackle, but it's not a red card, for me.

It's a shoulder to the head, spin it however you want, that's a red card

• Advertisement
Advertisement