Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phil Hogan

Options
  • 28-08-2020 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Am surprised there's been no discussion, so here goes.

Thoughts on the great man, anyone? Did he embarrass Kilkenny? Did he bring it on himself or was he a victim of the mob? Is it possible to feel that he brought it on himself while also regretting the fact that Ireland has lost an important voice in Brussels?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Mankbag wrote: »
    Am surprised there's been no discussion, so here goes.

Thoughts on the great man, anyone? Did he embarrass Kilkenny? Did he bring it on himself or was he a victim of the mob? Is it possible to feel that he brought it on himself while also regretting the fact that Ireland has lost an important voice in Brussels?

He has his money made and a lovely pension on top of that so it makes no odds that he went now. If he said he was sorry and ****ed up he might have taken the steam out of the mob. people find it hard to forget the "trickle" water comment.
    Not embarrassed by him but certainly not proud of him.
    on the plus side he spoke reasonably well compared to most TD.
    It is a sad to say that is how low i set the bar.

Kathleen , Malcom , JP and mcguinness (snr) are decent speakers to be fair and regardless of the party or beliefs etc I think they are for the most part a decent sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Personally, I think that the country has lost the run of itself. We had an Irishman in one of the most important EU roles, trade, in the lead up to Brexit. Of course, EU Commissioners are supposed to be neutral but it's got to be an advantage to the country having him there. WE now have a Latvian looking after the job. I'm sure the Latvian is capable but he's not going to do us the favours that an Irish candidate might. All over an event(the golf outing) that nobody is even going to remember in a month's time. Lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Economic Collapse

Sinn Fein and the far left got what they wanted, his head. I seen Kathleen Funchion saying we should nominate 2 women to succeed him no men, because of "gender equality". An idiot like that would be funny if she wasn't so dangerous. She is a great speaker is she?

We're in deep trouble if cranks like her and ex husband Cullinane get government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

You expect an EU Commissioner to behave like an EU Commissioner, with a certain level of decorum and respect for the law, not like a backwater rural county councillor gombeen man.

As if that wasn't bad enough, he couldn't even give an account of his whereabouts over the course of a few days without leaving out some details.

When your salary is €260k+ you can afford either (a) a car kit or (b) a bluetooth earpiece for your mobile phone. You shouldn't need to hold your handset while driving.

Good riddance to him. He can play as much golf as he likes now. At least then, he's only a danger to fellow golfers, not the rest of the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

exaisle wrote: »
    You expect an EU Commissioner to behave like an EU Commissioner, with a certain level of decorum and respect for the law, not like a backwater rural county councillor gombeen man.

As if that wasn't bad enough, he couldn't even give an account of his whereabouts over the course of a few days without leaving out some details.

When your salary is €260k+ you can afford either (a) a car kit or (b) a bluetooth earpiece for your mobile phone. You shouldn't need to hold your handset while driving.

Good riddance to him. He can play as much golf as he likes now. At least then, he's only a danger to fellow golfers, not the rest of the EU.

Padraig Flynn was one EU Commissioner did not display a certain level of decorum complaining how hard it was to look after his three houses on the late late show one night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Sinn Fein and the far left got what they wanted, his head. I seen Kathleen Funchion saying we should nominate 2 women to succeed him no men, because of "gender equality". An idiot like that would be funny if she wasn't so dangerous. She is a great speaker is she?

We're in deep trouble if cranks like her and ex husband Cullinane get government.

Sinn fein seem to think there was nothing wrong with the way they carried on at the Billy Story funeral during lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Fred Daly wrote: »
    Padraig Flynn was one EU Commissioner did not display a certain level of decorum complaining how hard it was to look after his three houses on the late late show one night.

My god it was great television. :pac::pac:

And Gaybo knew not to interrupt, just let him hang himself by the bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I seen Kathleen Funchion saying we should nominate 2 women to succeed him no men, because of "gender equality". An idiot like that would be funny if she wasn't so dangerous. She is a great speaker is she?

EU rules say nominate one male and one female. But you must understand that SF are exempt from other people's rules. Now when their turn comes to make rules - be sure you are all able to sing in tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

He's supposed to be a good negotiator and Ireland needed to keep him but he couldn't win over Micky and Leo ffs

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

nootroc wrote: »
    He's supposed to be a good negotiator and Ireland needed to keep him but he couldn't win over Micky and Leo ffs

I find it amusing when people use this argument, reality is Phil had no interest in the EU job.

He'd have gone to the WTO job a few months ago if he had been successful at getting it, at which point he'd have cared little about Irelands needs in the EU job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,405 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

do people still think politicians care about anything other than
    A) protecting their seat/position
    B) Feathering their own nest
    C) Covering their own arse
    D) looking after those that make contributions to them.

Anything else is just sh1te talk.
    They don't care.
    All bluster and waffle about what they WILL do when they get elected/appointed - they get in, and then its toe the party line.

They are parasites. And Hogan is a dislikable cnut on top of it too.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Advertisement