Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can You Open A Second Account Just For Bills

Options
  • 28-08-2020 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

My mother banks with BOI and as my father recently passed away all bills will now fall on her. In order to pay bills I want to try get a second account set up for my mother where we can just put in a few thousand at the start of the year to cover monthly bills for the coming year so that she doesnt have to touch her current account and its easier to keep track.

Is this something that is possible, can she have a second account or do BOI offer some sort of specific billing account option?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

andyred wrote: »
    My mother banks with BOI and as my father recently passed away all bills will now fall on her. In order to pay bills I want to try get a second account set up for my mother where we can just put in a few thousand at the start of the year to cover monthly bills for the coming year so that she doesnt have to touch her current account and its easier to keep track.

Is this something that is possible, can she have a second account or do BOI offer some sort of specific billing account option?
    Hi andyred, 

thanks for getting in touch with us here today. Yes it is possible to open a second current account. For information on accounts available and to submit an application please see here

Depending on your mothers age she may qualify for a Golden Years account which will help her save on fees and charges which may be applied. 

We hope this helps and that you remain safe and well during this time. 

Thanks Jen

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Casher

I did this, I set up a second current account with BOI which I use exclusively for bills & direct debits. On pay day I transfer a certain amount across so everything left in my main current account is spending money - food, clothes & entertainment. 
    For added nerdness I have a spreadsheet where I worked out my monthly & annual bills (e.g mortgage, TV, phone monthly, Insurances etc annual) and an amount that has to be transferred each month to cover those costs. 
    I don't have a card for my 'bill' account but you do have the expense of the monthly transation fees - which now will be a lot more as it's a fixed amount rather than based on the account usage. 

Advertisement