Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in Limerick

Options
  • 28-08-2020 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭

Any tips for the general Limerick area on the roadbike? Have to move down there for a 6 month contract.

I was thinking the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren would be in range but actually mapping it shows they're pretty far, good for weekend rides if it ever stops pouring rain though, same for bits of North Kerry.

Lough Gur is on my list, any other nice destinations? Ruins/castles/interesting spots/good roads?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Thargor wrote: »
    Any tips for the general Limerick area on the roadbike? Have to move down there for a 6 month contract.

I was thinking the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren would be in range but actually mapping it shows they're pretty far, good for weekend rides if it ever stops pouring rain though, same for bits of North Kerry.

Lough Gur is on my list, any other nice destinations? Ruins/castles/interesting spots/good roads?

I'd often start in the car park of Bunratty and head off around Sixmilebridge, Quin, Newmarket etc. Plenty of quiet roads and the motorists tend to be fairly ok in my experience.

If you're after some hills you can head from the city out to Cratloe (same direction as Bunratty). Gallows Hill, Woodcock Hill and plenty more all leading up to the 'golfball' with varying degrees of severity.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ah yeah that Gallows/Woodcock Hills area and all the bogs around there looks perfect thanks and only 20-30k outside the city aswell, should do for a nice loop in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

+1 for Cratloe and Gallows hill. I was there for a few weeks in Feb/March for work (in Shannon) and did a fair bit of riding in the area. There's a decent bike shop I found in that area too, which does great coffee. I think it was called the hub.
    If you want to look at my routes send me a pm and Ill send you some strava links that may or may not be helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

+1 for Cratloe and Gallows hill. I was there for a few weeks in Feb/March for work (in Shannon) and did a fair bit of riding in the area. There's a decent bike shop I found in that area too, which does great coffee. I think it was called the hub.
    If you want to look at my routes send me a pm and Ill send you some strava links that may or may not be helpful

+1 for Cratloe - there are several different approaches aswell which are all quite different depending on what you want. If your living city centre and reasonably fit you can be at the top (300m) in 30 mins descending and planning your second ascent if your up for it.

Also the broadford road has a nice steady climb and lots of options where to head once there, very easy to plan any size loop from 45k up with a mix of hills/not so hilly in lovely countryside.
    Plenty of trails too in cratloe woods(although haven’t been in a few years) if your into that.
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

Some nice marked routes around lough derg. Catch it on good day, and a quiet bright day in September, and it's magical

Look at a route online called the grass routes gran fondo, runs from tips town to east limerick along mostly bothareens with grass down the middle, decent bit of heritage spots in glen of aherlow. Superb route.

Not sure how easy they are from limerick city but worth a bit of a jaunt once you've done the closer routes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement