Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a scam?

Options
  • 28-08-2020 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

Hi, sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum.

I just got a automated call to one of our landlines in work. The voice said that our IP address had been reported and we would loose connection within 48hrs unless we fixed the issue. It said to continue, press "1". I hung up. Anyone ever receive a call like this. My head is saying it's a scam, but I'm also a bit nervous, incase there is an issue with our IP address, as it's work.

Sorry if the sounds ridiculous, and I will give Eir a call.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Of course it is a scam, as are 99.9% of cold communications.

Don't call no-one. Nothing is wrong.

If eir had planned on suspending service you would have received advance notice of it in an actual letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Not a scam.

Press 1 and give us access to your computer network.

Of course its a scam :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Thanks guys, as it's work I wanted to double check here, as it's one I've not heard of before. I'm more used to microsoft or dell ringing me looking to fix our computer :pac:

there was a thread on here one time about someone who had got the pakistani lad ringing him from Windows to fix his computer. The poster played ball with the pakistani lad and kept him on the phone for eternity before telling him that he suddenly realised that he didn't actually have a computer but only a toaster or something. The lad on the other end flipped out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

there was a thread on here one time about someone who had got the pakistani lad ringing him from Windows to fix his computer. The poster played ball with the pakistani lad and kept him on the phone for eternity before telling him that he suddenly realised that he didn't actually have a computer but only a toaster or something. The lad on the other end flipped out.

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 paulmccarthyco

Hi, I am Paul McCarthy Cork. I have also received this kind of call. They are scammers. Just ignore the call and don't take any action.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ScamAtak

It is a scam

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ScamAtak

Just so you know I received the same call as did my cousin. Definitely a scam

Advertisement