Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No more parking on the footpaths on Rathdown road

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

Fair play to WCC for making the area safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Skyfloater

Is this not going to make more dangerous for cyclists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

Skyfloater wrote: »

How so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Safer, arguably. If a cyclist is slightly farther out in the lane, a driver is less likely to try to squeeze past to overtake in heavy traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It's a shame to have awful looking lumps of plastic street furniture to keep motorists from driving off the road and on to footpaths. Really shows up us motorists as being terrible motorists. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

They did the same in Delgany to stop people parking outside of The Delgany.
    There are still motorists who now part opposite in the bus stop - as you said John - shows that some motorists are just selfish and have no consideration for anyone else using the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Skyfloater

endacl wrote: »
    Safer, arguably. If a cyclist is slightly farther out in the lane, a driver is less likely to try to squeeze past to overtake in heavy traffic.

Going downhill it shouldn't matter too much as the cyclist is going fast, but uphill is another matter. If you think that motorists are going to wait patiently behind a cyclist all the way from Centra up to the traffic lights, that's just not going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Going downhill it shouldn't matter too much as the cyclist is going fast, but uphill is another matter. If you think that motorists are going to wait patiently behind a cyclist all the way from Centra up to the traffic lights, that's just not going to happen.

They’ll have no choice if there’s no room to get past. That’s a question of driver patience, not cyclist safety.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I have cycled it both ways. It’s not a problem.
    Now that the cars can’t park there it will be much safer.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Taltos wrote: »
    There are still motorists who now part opposite in the bus stop - as you said John - shows that some motorists are just selfish and have no consideration for anyone else using the road.

I think the ones in Delgany are temporary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

It is to prevent parents parking there while dropping off their children to school.
    It was mayhem, selfish parents blocking the footpath meaning other parents could not pass with a buggy, or kids on bikes could not get through.
    unfortunately, this will just push the problem down to Centra and the old cinema, heaven forbid walking to school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Taltos wrote: »
    I grimace watching the innocents sipping their cappuccino with only these plastic wands to protect them as 2 tonnes of metal approach at 70 kph from the n11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it's annoying that such ugly interventions are required. It seems unless you physically block them, some people will literally park anywhere. Driving through the village yesterday somebody had parked a camper van with all 4 wheels on the footpath outside Insomnia!

Having said that, I understand the frustrations of some of the St. Kevin's parents. St. Patricks NS has the use of the church carpark, the schools at Blacklion can use Lidl's carpark, but St. Kevin's parents have nowhere to drop off (and pro-cycling though I am, I acknowledge there are some who have no choice but to drive).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It is to prevent parents parking there while dropping off their children to school.

+1

This narrow road simply cant accommodate the chaos that ensues when convoys of oversized MPV’s and 4 x 4’s all attempt to drop off kids at the same time.

loyatemu wrote: »
    Having said that, I understand the frustrations of some of the St. Kevin's parents. St. Patricks NS has the use of the church carpark, the schools at Blacklion can use Lidl's carpark, but St. Kevin's parents have nowhere to drop off (and pro-cycling though I am, I acknowledge there are some who have no choice but to drive).

Why not drop them off at Lidl's carpark?
    It is a very short walk to St. Kevin's from there.
    Problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

2011 wrote: »
    Why not drop them off at Lidl's carpark?
    It is a very short walk to St. Kevin's from there.
    Problem solved.

It's 700 metres and involves crossing 2 roads, if you're dropping off a junior infant that's a pretty long walk and then you have to walk back again. But you're right, it is an option for older kids, my point was the other schools have better options (e.g. the church carpark is less than 200m from St Patrick's and Laurences have a dedicated set down area, though that has other implications for traffic at the school). I'm not making a case of allowing them park on Rathdown Rd.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement