Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condoned Personal insults on the covid thread.

Options
  • 28-08-2020 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭

I'd like some clarity around what is acceptable in the covid 19 thread.

This happens all of the time on that thread and it seems to be acceptable but I think it is grossly unfair.

A poster stated "You must do nothing but scour the internet for these stories"

here is the post

I took this as a personal insult as it speculated to what I do in my personal life. i.e beyond the thread and by extension me. Implying I don't work either. Which is irrelevant and not really nice especially given current circumstances.

I wasn't sure if this is ok and am still unsure.

I posted "attack the poster not the post" which I realise now is back seat modding sorry. I then said "you must have your head in a hole all day" the implication being that you don't want to hear news if it is bad which is also speculation as to what the poster does in his/her day. equivalent ini my mind.

I got a 48 hour ban (my first ever) which I accept but I didn't think it was particular fair or consistent.

I'd let it slide but I see these type of attacks occurring alot on the thread and when someone responds (usually a "doom mongerer" or a person who can read beyond a headline responds at the same level they get banned or warned etc.

The latest I see is " you are hysteric" when a person clearly isn't. They are relaying information often scientific. This is a personal attack on the person who posted and as far as I can see is completely condoned for if I were to respond that you must be stupid. I'd get a ban.

Thanks for your time.

edit: Just to add I raised with the mod mike but have not received a response in over 24 hours so raising here as suggested. I know you are busy. Thanks
    edit edit: my post was deleted so can't link to it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Shall I just leave it.

524657.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

A poster stated "You must do nothing but scour the internet for these stories"

I took this as a personal insult as it speculated to what I do in my personal life. i.e beyond the thread and by extension me. Implying I don't work either. Which is irrelevant and not really nice especially given current circumstances.

You're reaching, to say the least. "You must do nothing but XYZ" is a well known idiomatic construct that has nothing to do with the connections you are making above. It reads like you are trying very hard to be offended.
    I posted "attack the poster not the post" which I realise now is back seat modding sorry. I then said "you must have your head in a hole all day" the implication being that you don't want to hear news if it is bad which is also speculation as to what the poster does in his/her day. equivalent ini my mind.

You're being disingenuous. You did indeed post that, but it's only half the story. You then posted a meme from the internet along with the tagline 'I think I found your profile pic. Looking sharp!'

You were absolutely posting that for no other purpose than to get a rise out of the poster you directed it towards, and you were given a temporary threadban for being uncivil to the other poster - it could have equally been applied for derailing the thread with your spat with this poster.

Do we mod every single personalised comment - of course not, people slip up, and often self regulate afterwards - and you certainly wouldn't like it if we started modding to the letter of the law without taking the human element and context into consideration. But when someone is posting for no other reason than to get a reaction, which you were doing, then yes, expect it to be actioned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement