Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private insurance in a commercial vehicle

• 27-08-2020 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice folks, looking at getting a small van for private use and taxing it privately, but the insurance i can't get clear answers on. Is there any comprehensive policy that I can take out on the van for private use which would allow me to drive cars if the need arises as I have use of a family members car if required?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

R.O.R wrote: »
    What you signed was a declaration that it would be used ONLY for commercial purposes.

Half the goods vehicles ( landcruiser, landrover discovery etc )in rural Ireland are used for family trip's, rules aren't enforced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

mycro89 wrote: »
    Looking for advice folks, looking at getting a small van for private use and taxing it privately, but the insurance i can't get clear answers on. Is there any comprehensive policy that I can take out on the van for private use which would allow me to drive cars if the need arises as I have use of a family members car if required?

A small van for private use will be taxed on the cc system so it will probably be cheaper and less hassle, see below, to buy the car version and put limo tint on the rear windows.

Private car policies specifically don't allow driving commercial vehicles on the driving other cars extension, I doubt commercial policies will allow driving cars. You can't swap a private NCD to commercial and vice versa, some companies will mirror the NCD.

Advertisement