Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any recent quotes for building in Cork?

Options
  • 28-08-2020 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Has anyone on here got any quotes for a self build in cork recently? Would like to here price per sqm being seen for a builders finish.

We'd be looking at roughly a 2500sqft build in a basic rectangular shape. Looking at sites in the Aherla/Halfway/Ballinhassig area, which seem to be in and around 100k. Looking to just get a rough idea of if it's in our price range to build that sort of size house. If it is then we'll go and get it properly costed, if not we'll probably just buy a new build house and can look at building our own down the line if we still want to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

If you just want to build a basic rectangular shape house and need to buy the site as well on top of that as well... go buy a house...it will be cheaper and less stressful and complicated to do.

You will hear many people here saying how cheap they can build a house for 100+sqr ft for a builder finish but they are probably doing a lot of the work themselves and they still then got to pay for kitchens etc.

For its worth I'm paying about €215/sqft all in for a turn-key architect designed house, that includes EVERYTHING - planning fees, professional fees, kitchen, painting flooring etc etc Also I'm in the area you are looking to build

You will not build a house for cheaper than you will buy one in the majority of cases, especially if you have to buy the site. It will also take time, by the time you buy the site get a design and planning and then get it built it will be two years at least

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

ECO_Mental wrote: »

You will not build a house for cheaper than you will buy one in the majority of cases, especially if you have to buy the site. It will also take time, by the time you buy the site get a design and planning and then get it built it will be two years at least

Most of the older housing stock for sale around the country will have bers with low values,while new builds are approaching passive standards as the norm.
    Long term, the new build,would seem to be the better choice if OPs' life circumstances allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

If you just want to build a basic rectangular shape house and need to buy the site as well on top of that as well... go buy a house...it will be cheaper and less stressful and complicated to do.

You will hear many people here saying how cheap they can build a house for 100+sqr ft for a builder finish but they are probably doing a lot of the work themselves and they still then got to pay for kitchens etc.

For its worth I'm paying about €215/sqft all in for a turn-key architect designed house, that includes EVERYTHING - planning fees, professional fees, kitchen, painting flooring etc etc Also I'm in the area you are looking to build

Thanks for the response and the info.

We're fully aware that buying is cheaper and less hassle and quicker.
    We've been house searching for over a year but from what has come up there have been a few that meet everything we need but very few of our wants and nice to haves, and didn't necessarily have enough space to add these on afterwards.

We're in the lucky position where we could afford to spend a bit more to get more of our wants included in the build and to get a larger site, most we are looking at are around 0.5 acres which leaves plenty of options for down the line.

We've got estimates from 2 people in the trade that we know so far of from about 130-160 per sqft for the ground floor and 80-100 per sqft for the first floor so in and around €130 per sq ft overall including flooring and kitchen fitted.

Does the €215 you quoted include the land or just the building?
    Was yours a straight forward shaped build or something a bit more complex? We would like to add something like vaulted ceilings in living area if the budget would allow.
    Sounds like your builders finish position might indeed be within the range we got from elsewhere?

actuar90 wrote: »
    Thanks for the response and the info.

Does the €215 you quoted include the land or just the building?
    Was yours a straight forward shaped build or something a bit more complex? We would like to add something like vaulted ceilings in living area if the budget would allow.
    Sounds like your builders finish position might indeed be within the range we got from elsewhere?

Mine is not standard, as my QS said to me when I met him first yeah we do high end one-off houses as well :eek: Its a split level architect designed house so maybe my prices might not be comparable. That saying I think if you are building a house then why not try and build the house of your dreams..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

That saying I think if you are building a house then why not try and build the house of your dreams..

Obviously money is the constraining factor for people who can't build the 'house of their dreams'.

I have planning in for a rectangular design, (an architect also designed it!) lots of glazing, double height ceiling, plenty of room, only 3 bed though, great views over the countryside. It's not the house of my 'dreams' because I can't afford it.

But it's significantly more desirable than any cookie cutter house on an estate.

Intend to do it for as close to 150 per sq foot as possible. No marble staircases unfortunately, but it will be warm, dry, economical to run and a really, really nice space to be in.

• Advertisement

Obviously money is the constraining factor for people who can't build the 'house of their dreams'.

I have planning in for a rectangular design, (an architect also designed it!) lots of glazing, double height ceiling, plenty of room, only 3 bed though, great views over the countryside. It's not the house of my 'dreams' because I can't afford it.

But it's significantly more desirable than any cookie cutter house on an estate.

Intend to do it for as close to 150 per sq foot as possible. No marble staircases unfortunately, but it will be warm, dry, economical to run and a really, really nice space to be in.

What I said is "try" and build the house of your dreams, I wasn't talking about building a mansion with marble stair cases and swimming pools..but if you are going to build a house get an Architect give them a brief such a budget and your wishes and let them off. The biggest factor in how expensive you house is SIZE..every m2 reduced is money saved. Having a clever innovative arch to design you house to your budget is critical and will be the best couple of grand you will ever pay, if you are going down that route.

I suppose what I am trying to say is be careful of these builders finishes prices and some of the really impressive builder finish prices you will see people quoting. This is not what the house is going to cost you to move in, even me I have a detailed BOQ and contract but already there are variations and I thought I had everything covered, some people say about 10% on top of what was priced should be contingency.

Do your home work and fully budget this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Dazed2020

Could the above posters please PM me with name of their architects & maybe even builders?
    Cheers

Advertisement