Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Publicans lobby suggests closing the off-licenses

Options
  • 28-08-2020 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭

I can see this going down like a lead balloon, the head of the VFI has suggested closing the off licenses on the grounds of public health.
    “If house parties are the problem in the spread of the disease, you’ve got to go back and say, what’s fuelling the house parties? And what’s fuelling the house parties is the cheap alcohol out of supermarkets.

“You’ve got to do one of two things in relation to that. You’ve got to either bring in the minimum unit pricing, that’s already on our statute books … that’s one option.

The second option, which is a lot less palatable maybe for a lot of people, is that if we’re in such a bind, if the numbers are increasing at such a rate what we actually need to do is look at whether we should take a period of three weeks and actually stop the sale of alcohol in off licences for that period.

When asked if he was calling for prohibition, Cribben said: “If you want to call it that.”
    https://www.thejournal.ie/pubs-reopening-in-ireland-5188678-Aug2020/

Funny he complains in the same article about jobs being lost in the pub trade but then suggests something that would lose jobs in the off license trade as well. The hyprocrisy is absolutely dripping off these guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

They would say that, wouldn't they...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

We’ll be quaffing bootlegged moonshine In speakeasys before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,341 ✭✭✭✭walshb

We're suffering, you better be suffering!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Supermarkets in Newry endorse the Vermin Federation of Ireland idea.

I'm sure the state with its' depleted revenues would be more than happy to bring this in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

That would start a nice little black market racket smuggling it in from the North, help to fund criminal gangs.
    Prohibition in the US was what made organised crime so powerful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭gigantic09

We’ll be quaffing bootlegged moonshine In speakeasys before long.

And hosting flapper parties (with up to 6 people from 3 different households of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

These VFI lads ought to be shot with balls of their own shyte, if they had their way no-one in the state would be allowed a drink, unless it was by prescription, or bought in one of their establishments where by some miracle or another - the drink they sell is absolutely problem free, dangerous, nor detrimental to one's health (like they say they stuff in the off-licence is)

Captain no craic the lot of them, unless it's being spent in some of their overpriced and dirty dives of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

McMurphy wrote: »
    These VFI lads ought to be shot with balls of their own shyte, if they had their way no-one in the state would be allowed a drink, unless it was by prescription, or bought in one of their establishments where by some miracle or another - the drink they sell is absolutely problem free, dangerous, nor detrimental to one's health (like they say they stuff in the off-licence is)

Captain no craic the lot of them, unless it's being spent in some of their overpriced and dirty dives of course.
    They are full of it alright but also a powerful lobby group. I'd say over half the Dail would have some financial interest in a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I don't bother going to pubs anymore, even pre-Covid.

The VFI are a bunch of wankbags and Id have no interest supporting them nor their publican chums.

Coqwombles!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

A bunch of clowns.

Are they really all that powerful anymore, we've held most of them closed since mid march without any political blowback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,487 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Basically VFI only want alcohol to be sold on their premises at their prices.

They have completely exaggerated the house party issue to suit their needs.

Despicable bunch and it makes it hard for me to feel some of the ones that are forced to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Can we have a poll on this topic? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's the pub lobby lads. They have one objective and one objective only. Make money for pubs. They were against cafe bars, they were against smoking bans, they were against lowering blood alcohol limits for drink driving.

Are we that surprised this is their stance? They would close everything except for the pubs if they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,600 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mother Freshpopcorn better get the whiskey in for the Christmas cakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,700 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I assume the publicans will be waiving their covid-19 payments in lieu of the excise revenue from off sales?
    Did I miss that in their 'modest proposal'?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Anyone know where all these phantom house parties are taking place?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,510 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

9f821e691c6ed5ac-600x338.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

This is like the cinemas being forced to close and them asking the government to ban Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Just when I was starting to have a little bit of sympathy for publicans...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Fairly pathetic framing it as a concern for public health when its clearly about money. VFI can go f*ck themselves. Pubs are outdated and overpriced, half of them were in financial trouble before Covid-19 hit. They'll be asking for subsidies next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

MrStuffins wrote: »

Fair few going on around me regularly, even at the height of lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

The Untouchables are back in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

There just being childish and silly, I sympathise with rural and non food pubs but trying to restrict other sectors hardly an appropriate response. The lobby group might be better served (no pun intended) critising those on their own grouping acting the maggot, I've a rural pub now doing a deal with village chipper, absolute joke and I know another that has a freezer full of Tesco Pizza's to get around the food requirement. One group recently delighted with themselves sitting over one pizza between 5 for almost 6 hours.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

In fairness, quote a number of clusters have been associated with social gatherings in homes.

As for closing the off trade. That would likely kill off the remaining public support, which is already on shaky ground.

VFI should be aiming for more realistic goals such as the allowing of so called wet pubs to open to only serve outside. To allow councils to allow pubs to operate temporarily on the pavement where they don't have the space outside. To allow table service only.

As frustrating as it must be for them looking on, there is so much they could be doing rather than trying to bring everyone down with them. Innovation was never their thing however.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Edgware wrote: »
    The Untouchables are back in business.
    I touched one. Got a bad dose of the clap and four years. Not worth it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If there's one thing drug dealers hate, it's competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

VFI are Eamon-Ryan-esque in their ability to totally misjudge just how stupid the public will think their opinion is.

25% off wine in Sainsbury Newry this weekend. ‘Tis cheaper always, anyway. Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

I live in a basement apt below street level, exit out the back! 3 knocks 1 knock 3 knocks, free temperature check at the door bring your own mixers, the gin is of the bathtub variety, ye can come in if ye speak easy so the neighbors don't hear, jazz musicians will be shot on sight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

MrStuffins wrote: »

Nice try, narc

Advertisement