Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dundoogan, Haynestown

• 28-08-2020 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hey All,

Has anyone here bought in Dundoogan near Blackrock in Louth? Have been taking a look at them online and may go for a drive up to see in the flesh this weekend.

The design of the houses looks quite nice to me though tbf many new builds are quite similar. The 3-bed Violet house looks (priced at 239,950 euros) good at 95sq/m and the estate is a relatively short walk away from Blackrock and the sea, with cafes, swimming etc.

I haven't been able to find much mention of the estate except some newspaper articles from last year stating that it's to be an 1,100 house estate which seems massive to me! Not sure how I feel about that given the traffic and what it may become (though am entirely ignorant of it currently so can't really formulate an opinion just yet!). Of those, 112 have been purchased by Túath for Social Housing and don't know what else may be going on or not.

See links below for the estate and newspaper article on the place from the other year:

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/argus/news/taoiseach-views-new-housing-scheme-on-flying-visit-37876918.html

https://www.daft.ie/louth/new-homes-for-sale/dundoogan-haynestown-dundalk-louth-185455/

So any thoughts on them by those familiar or otherwise? Am looking to buy something in the next 12 months (at most) so am trying to keep an open mind as to location etc (currently living in Dublin). Working from home some days of the week is an option so am not too pushed about the commute, and there's work in my area up there too. I'd likely be buying, renting two rooms out, and (hopefully) enjoying / making full use of the seaside lifestyle!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Milena009

Hi there,

Joining at your question.
    I currently rent in south county and found this development via Daft so wondering what are people's opinions here.
    Properties prices seems fairly doable for it being ''relatively'' close to Dublin.

Again, similar situation to yours in that my work is Flex however based in Sandyford.
    Himself is IFSC with flex as well.
    I will be most likely driving when needed before peak-hours.

Looking to buy before the extended-extended HTB ends as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Coastalguy

Hi there,

I am in exactly the same boat (excuse the pun). I have concerns as to why the houses aren’t selling though, especially as neighbouring estates without the social housing seem to be snapped up quite quickly?

The houses at Dundoogan are far superior in my opinion but I am being cautious and would like to know more. I also work in IFSC a few days a week and want to move as it’s close to the sea / outdoors quality of life etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Amouar

I'm also interested in purchasing a property in Dundoogan. Did anyone end up buying and moving to their new home?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Blue Badger

From having a quick glance online it seems that many of the phase one houses are now sold though a number still remain. I'm guessing that the paces of sales tells a lot in terms of how most people are viewing the estate given the social housing. It would be interesting to see what further phases are like should they not have the same numbers of social.

From having a quick glance online it seems that many of the phase one houses are now sold though a number still remain. I'm guessing that the paces of sales tells a lot in terms of how most people are viewing the estate given the social housing. It would be interesting to see what further phases are like should they not have the same numbers of social.

Are all the 112 social houses in the phase one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Blue Badger

Amouar wrote: »
    Are all the 112 social houses in the phase one?

Has been a while since I spoke to the estate agent and asked about this but from what I remember most if not all announced socials are going into that first phase. I think all into the same segment.

I looked at the current houses prices and it appears their price were all increased by 10,000 Euros. Curious to know the reason for this increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

I looked at the current houses prices and it appears their price were all increased by 10,000 Euros. Curious to know the reason for this increase.

Yeah saw that too. Taking advantage of increased demand I imagine.

I was very attracted to these houses but on closer examination, the layout of the sitting room in the 3 beds is not ideal. You have the kitchen door opening to where the tv would be. So if someone is in the kitchen and wants to chat to you while you're in the sitting room, the door blocks the tv from what I can make out.

The tv could be put by the window but watching tv during the day would be difficult with the light coming in on top of it. There's space there by the window but it's kind of wasted as it's big enough for the tv but not for a sofa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

I am renting in the area and the estate doesn't have a great reputation and it's only in the early phase of development. I'm looking at buying a house and have been told by multiple people to avoid Dundoogan. It will be interesting to see how it develops as more units are built and become available.

I am renting in the area and the estate doesn't have a great reputation and it's only in the early phase of development. I'm looking at buying a house and have been told by multiple people to avoid Dundoogan. It will be interesting to see how it develops as more units are built and become available.

Could you please share more regarding what the people who recommended avoiding Dundoogan flagged as (potential) problems?

I also heard back from the developer in regards to the price increase:
    This price increase is as a result of house price rises across the market and the increased level of demand we are experiencing in the development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Could you please share more regarding what the people who recommended avoiding Dundoogan flagged as (potential) problems?

I also heard back from the developer in regards to the price increase:

The main concern is the allocation of social housing in the first phase, essentially all being placed in the same phase. There are plans for 1100 houses and it's the worry of the future of the estate as no one knows how it will turn out because they are still in the early stages of development.

It is a lovely area where the estate is situated but there already anecdotes of disturbance in the area from those living there currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

I was told by the developer that they have finished building in Dundoogan.

However, I was up in Dundoogan on Saturday and I really don't believe that there are 1100 houses there as previously planned. Maybe I'm wrong. Does anyone know how many houses are there now?

Also, anyone know of any other developments coming up in Dundalk in the near future?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mog182

I live in Dundoogan and have read this post multiple times.

I cannot believe the ignorance of people on here regarding the social housing which is Tuath.

I bought my house in Dundoogan over 2 years ago and it is such a gorgeous estate to live in. The community is lovely, the neighbours and kids in the area too.

I have felt safer here than I have in a well established area in Dundalk that I lived before.

The social housing you all are so quick to give out about is with Tuath who are brilliant and it is just working families like any of us.

Ridiculous how quick people are judging these people when they have no clue.

The slander put on the estate is madness, there are 3 estates in the area, it is not all Dundoogan.

Wadman Park is the social housing that has the 3 storey houses near Dundoogan, Green Gates Manor is the one you can access from the Dublin road and Dundoogan is it's own estate.

Please get your facts straight before commenting on posts.

Post edited by Mog182 on

Advertisement