Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating from Dublin & remote working

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Don't do it. Stay where you are. At the very, very least, stay put until things return somewhat to normal.

Live in Galway (east of Corrib), and I split my week between commuting to Dublin (oddly, Sandyford for a year or two before Damastown), and WFH.

I have good broadband, and was alot closer to the Motorway than you.

You'll spend 6 months of the year driving for a minimum of 6 hours in the dark, in all weather conditions.

Take it from someone who did this for nearly 4 years - think long and hard about this choice. There is a reason this is the road less traveled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It definitely rains a lot more in Galway than Dublin! Of course this is purely anecdotal and has no scientific basis, but I have family in Dublin and more often than not, they and their children are out and about in parks/beaches at the weekend while their cousins here in Galway are looking out the window at sideways rain ;)

We've had a couple of exceptionally wet and stormy winters in recent years too.

Jaden wrote: »
    Don't do it. Stay where you are. At the very, very least, stay put until things return somewhat to normal.

Live in Galway (east of Corrib), and I split my week between commuting to Dublin (oddly, Sandyford for a year or two before Damastown), and WFH.

I have good broadband, and was alot closer to the Motorway than you.

You'll spend 6 months of the year driving for a minimum of 6 hours in the dark, in all weather conditions.

Take it from someone who did this for nearly 4 years - think long and hard about this choice. There is a reason this is the road less traveled.

By the sounds of it the op would go up one morning, stay the night and back down the following evening. To me that wouldn't even register as being tough. Maybe its because I do a lot of driving etc but still its nothing especially with motorway all the way. Prior to covid I would have done multiple 3 hour drives every week and have been for more than 10 years.

Thousands of people head home every weekend from Dublin etc and this is no different. Doing it as a daily commute would be totally out of the question, going up and down in the same day would be doable but really going up one day and down the next is easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

By the sounds of it the op would go up one morning, stay the night and back down the following evening. To me that wouldn't even register as being tough. Maybe its because I do a lot of driving etc but still its nothing especially with motorway all the way. Prior to covid I would have done multiple 3 hour drives every week and have been for more than 10 years.

Thousands of people head home every weekend from Dublin etc and this is no different. Doing it as a daily commute would be totally out of the question, going up and down in the same day would be doable but really going up one day and down the next is easy.

Thanks everyone for the advice. A lot more interest than I was expecting. I would only consider it if I could do 3 days at home and 2 in Dublin. I would be looking at doing it for a long time so no way would do it every day. There is a good chance I might be able to limit it to every 2 or 3 weeks, which makes it even easier again.
    The weather would we the other big problem, Dublin gets substantially more sun & less rain, but sure everywhere has its own challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

irishguy wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the advice. A lot more interest than I was expecting. I would only consider it if I could do 3 days at home and 2 in Dublin. I would be looking at doing it for a long time so no way would do it every day. There is a good chance I might be able to limit it to every 2 or 3 weeks, which makes it even easier again.
    The weather would we the other big problem, Dublin gets substantially more sun & less rain, but sure everywhere has its own challenges.

I went up every week for two days for a year... Get somewhere close for your single over night... Get in early on second day and get out early....
    Found it very productive...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

JoeA3 wrote: »
    It definitely rains a lot more in Galway than Dublin! Of course this is purely anecdotal and has no scientific basis, but I have family in Dublin and more often than not, they and their children are out and about in parks/beaches at the weekend while their cousins here in Galway are looking out the window at sideways rain ;)

We've had a couple of exceptionally wet and stormy winters in recent years too.

Its not anecdotal.There are stats that show Mayo and Galway get the most rain in Ireland and Dublin/South East get the least

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

+1 for Oranmore, right beside the motorway and you're into the city centre in not much more time than if coming in from Knocknacarra. It's a prettier and less built up location to live in imo.

Oranmore is beside the sea, has all the amenities you would need, and a bus/train into the city centre if you want to go in for a few jars.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

+1 for Oranmore or Renmore if you want to be closer to city. Avoid east of the city.....traffic nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭GPoint

OP , I have only briefly scanned this thread sorry if this was said before in one form or another.

I have lived with family in Galway for nearly 2 years but moved to Dublin since and never regretted this decision even though was worse off initially due to high rents in the capital.

No doubt Galway is a beautiful place but the Galway bay seems to be battered by every gale and storm from the Atlantic! Rain and wind are your every day companions. Just take note of the weather forecast for Galway for month and you will see.

M6 is a doable drive but you really have to be no longer than 5 to 10 mins from it so Oranmore or near places.

I happened to live in knocknacarra and it was 40 minutes drive or more from the Dunnes at briarhill to knocknacarra. Morning and evening does not matter, traffic in Galway is a gridlock.

Good luck with your decision!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

If you're really considering this, get yourself a high range electric car. Zero fuel bills. Get a charger installed at your house. Good few places to charge in sandyford and work internal car parks usually have a electric socket to trickle charge before your trip home.

• Advertisement
Advertisement