Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons not to build?

Options
  • 28-08-2020 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am single applicant, 26 years of age.
    My annual income is €46'000.

I have €50'000 in savings + €1000 every month saving up.

I heard you can use land as deposit for mortgage?
    This is probably stupid question overlooking many potential issues but - is there reason not to build?

I am not gonna get anything decent in Dublin as First Time Buyer. There are plenty of properties available in Galway etc.. but they are rather old builds.

I am pretty flexible in where to live, I am allowed to work remotely (with occasional once in 6 weeks show up to office).

It seems outside of Dublin you can buy land at pretty much 20-50k.

Would there be any reason not to just buy land outright and then use that as deposit to get mortgage for build?

Comments

Getting planning may be challenging unless you are building in your home area on family land and can demonstrate a need.

Buying a site with a derelict house may be an option.

Building is far superior to buying if you can make it happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 thorSynth25

Getting planning may be challenging unless you are building in your home area on family land and can demonstrate a need.

Buying a site with a derelict house may be an option.

Building is far superior to buying if you can make it happen though.

Oh yes I heard that there is difficulty buying land in another county.
    So the alternative is to buy site with some old/bad condition house with no roof etc.. and demolish it then get planning permission to build new one?

What defines "home area"?
    I am non-Irish, I've lived in Dublin for 12 years and 1 year in Co. Kildare a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Beware of buying a derelict house and looking to demolish and build new. It is not guaranteed that you will get permission for either.

It is very hard to predict who will get planning but you usually need to be local and have a need for a local residence.

Anything you buy should be subject to planning. You will also need to use the house as your residence for anything u to seven years after completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 thorSynth25

wildwillow wrote: »
    Beware of buying a derelict house and looking to demolish and build new. It is not guaranteed that you will get permission for either.

It is very hard to predict who will get planning but you usually need to be local and have a need for a local residence.

Anything you buy should be subject to planning. You will also need to use the house as your residence for anything u to seven years after completion.

Ah that's a shame, guess my only option is to buy site in Co. Dublin (which isn't happening) or forget about the build.

How long do you need to be living in certain County to be considered "local"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

The main reason not to build is that it would likely end up being a lot more expensive than buying a similar house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Four generations. :-)

I'm kidding. Kind of. Don't expect anyone not born or married in to an area to get local needs.

Where your family lives, where your family owns land, where you grew up etc. As you aren’t Irish you are unlikely to be able to meet these stipulations.
    dubrov wrote: »
    The main reason not to build is that it would likely end up being a lot more expensive than buying a similar house

Id disagree on that, it might cost more but it when you have it designed exactly as you want it will not be similar to anything you will but. You will have twice the house for far less than twice the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

I'm looking to build in County Cork, just west of the city in a somewhat rural area but it seems that they are being extremely strict around there. Even though my partner is from the area all her life from what we've heard we won't get planning permission as we do have any need to be in a specific area as we are not farming the land, etc. Any ideas what else can be used to show a local need?

actuar90 wrote: »
    I'm looking to build in County Cork, just west of the city in a somewhat rural area but it seems that they are being extremely strict around there. Even though my partner is from the area all her life from what we've heard we won't get planning permission as we do have any need to be in a specific area as we are not farming the land, etc. Any ideas what else can be used to show a local need?

Farming is a very strong case but it’s not just farming. If any of you work locally that’s a need, is your wife the only sibling going to live in the area? That’s a need as it’s planning for future care of her parents, working in commuting distance and lack of housing else where is likely a need too etc. Also has your partner lived there and still lives in the area? That’s another thing they look for - even if she just always left her post addressed to home that would let her claim she was.

I haven’t really looked into it as I have a clear need due to being the person taking on the farm in future so I didn’t even have to look into the ins and outs of it. But I do know a few people building at the moment who aren’t farming but meet it for other reasons like working locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Lolle06

Oh yes I heard that there is difficulty buying land in another county.
    So the alternative is to buy site with some old/bad condition house with no roof etc.. and demolish it then get planning permission to build new one?

I am non-Irish, I've lived in Dublin for 12 years and 1 year in Co. Kildare a while ago.

Because of this outdated clause we didn’t have a chance to build either. We had to buy second-hand.

Even though we live and work in the locality for over a decade (almost two), our children are brought up here and we are involved in local clubs/ the community.

Still no chance of getting planning outside of the town boundaries (were prices are cheaper), because both of us were not born and bred here.

It is very frustrating to see local people build new houses on cheaper sites and rent them out or sell them on after a few years to move elsewhere, while we are planning to stay here for good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Ah that's a shame, guess my only option is to buy site in Co. Dublin (which isn't happening) or forget about the build.

Being "local" isn't always a requirement as far as I know, for example when applying for planning in Mayo in "Rural Areas Under Strong Urban Influence", there is a requirement for "local need" but the Mayo County Development plan states:

In areas classified as Structurally Weak Areas (see Appendix 9 Rural Area Types Map) permanent residential development (urban and rural generated) will be accommodated, in particular special consideration will be given to the provision of housing in rural areas that have sustained population loss since 1951, subject to good planning practice.

So it seems from that that the requirement is only applicable in certain areas

Advertisement