Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boomer Wealth

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    seriously!

some sort of new accommodation is needed in most of our cities, and their surrounding suburbs, and by the looks of it, theres still plenty of vacant property also around the place

a mixture of adequate apartments and housing

as how we always do, via financial institutions in both the public and private sectors!

Is there not loads of housing if you can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

osarusan wrote: »
    Again I agree with you, but again, I think that equally applies to people who just think it's a matter of saving and sacrificing more.

Their understanding of just how far that will take you is misaligned with reality.

what has worked for previous generations, only truly works for a few now

beauf wrote: »
    Is there not loads of housing if you can afford it.

there may not be loads, but there maybe some, but forcing communities apart, causes a break down of 'social cohesion', which causes far more serious social problems, and is in fact, far more expensive, in the long term

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

HerrKuehn wrote: »
    What is meant by average income by the way? I mean a single person on 40k would get about €2600 after tax per month. If they stay in a house share (say a room in a 4 bed house), should be what 6-700 a month. I know a room in a 2 bed apartment would be a lot more than that. Surely you should be able to save about 1k per month in this situation?

I could easily save a lot more on that budget...

I think it would be more realistic to determine the median income as opposed to average.

osarusan wrote: »
    Again I agree with you, but again, I think that equally applies to people who just think it's a matter of saving and sacrificing more.

Their understanding of just how far that will take you is misaligned with reality.

You might have to sacrifice the idea of living where you grew up, or compromise on what you consider proper.

You might have to consider that your standard of living will be considerably lower than your parents.

• Advertisement

there may not be loads, but there maybe some, but forcing communities apart, causes a break down of 'social cohesion', which causes far more serious social problems, and is in fact, far more expensive, in the long term
    You might have to sacrifice the idea of living where you grew up, or compromise on what you consider proper.

You might have to consider that your standard of living will be considerably lower than your parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Had a quick look on Daft. There's barely anything in that price range at all, and what there is is mostly out in Finglas, Tallaght and Clondalkin - hardly 'Dublin city', is it'? Even one-beds in those areas are mostly more expensive than that. More towards 200K.

So we've already gone from 'single people want to buy a 3-bed terrace in a nice part of Dublin city centre' to 'single people have to scrimp and save a 20K deposit to rent a one-bed flat in a crap suburb'.

This is a studio flat in a 'nice' bit of Dublin 6, where you could just about walk to work in the centre if you were prepared for a bit of a trek, selling for 200K https://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/rathgar/apt-5-20-highfield-rathgar-dublin-2708535/

How do you not see how much of a problem this is?

I'm sorry but any argument you had against being entitled has gone out the window using Rathgar as your example of being priced out of owning your own home.

You don't earn enough to live in the most sought after address in Dublin. Simple as. Cut your cloth to suit your measure like everyone else or spend your life pi$$ing and moaning about what you THINK you should have.

You mean like people emigrating to the US, England or Australia.

Or do you mean moving to another town or city in a tiny country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    I could easily save a lot more on that budget...

I know, I have seen your post on another thread. You survive on a few cents a week. But, for most people with an income of around 35-40k, they should be able to save 1k per month. This assumes they live in a house share rather than a 2 bed apartment and are willing to keep an eye on their spending.

You mean like people emigrating to the US, England or Australia.

Or do you mean moving to another town or city in a tiny country.

both, and more

it is indeed a tiny country, but social cohesion, is still a critical need, to all humans, and it doesnt matter about the size of the country, humans have needed this for most of our existence, and maybe forever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Grew up in 70s and wasn't well off. My father drove a clapped out potato to work and we lived in a treehouse in Glasnevin Cemetery. Our first holiday wasn't until I was 15 to Dublin zoo and all they had was horses painted as zebras. I was in 6th year before I saw my first film on VCR: Rocky IV. The lads in the CBS slagged me off because we couldn't afford a map at home and I thought Ivan Drago was from Cork.

My first job was as a chimney sweep. Not as the guy that does the sweeping, I was literally the sweep. I saved up enough bubblegum stickers of Liverpool players over 5 years to afford my first house. Never looked back. All this while payin 81 percent tax and interest rates were 245 percent. I'm now a full-time patroniser with 5 apprentice patronisers under me.

The current generation are all about the Snoopy Dog Dog and flying to Ibiza to get off their face on flavoured ice cream and heroin. A bit of work ethic is what's required and there's nothing for nothing in this world.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Grew up in 70s and wasn't well off. My father drove a clapped out potato to work and we lived in a treehouse in Glasnevin Cemetery. Our first holiday wasn't until I was 15 to Dublin zoo and all they had was horses painted as zebras. I was in 6th year before I saw my first film on VCR: Rocky IV. The lads in the CBS slagged me off because we couldn't afford a map at bome and I thought Ivan Drago was from Cork.

My first job was as a chimney sweep. Not as the guy that does the sweeping, I was literally the sweep. I saved up enough bubblegum stickers of Liverpool players over 5 years to afford my first house. Never looked back. All this while payin 81 percent tax and interest rates were 245 percent. I'm now a full-time patroniser with 5 apprentice patronisers under me.

The current generation are all about the Snoopy Dog Dog and flying to Ibiza to get off their face on flavoured ice cream and heroin. A bit of work ethic is what's required and there's nothing for nothing in this world.

its called 'progression', we could easily continue with these progressions, and provide ourselves with our critical of needs, we just need to rejig things a bit. with 'productivity levels' at all time highs, across most sectors, we now may have hit some sort of productivity ceiling, whereby now, its causing some serious psychological issues.

both, and more

it is indeed a tiny country, but social cohesion, is still a critical need, to all humans, and it doesnt matter about the size of the country, humans have needed this for most of our existence, and maybe forever

... And yet they migrated and survived...

... And yet they migrated and survived...

of course they did, but it is not only the emotional issues of the individuals themselves, that matters, but of those that are left behind!

Yurt! wrote: »
    Grew up in 70s and wasn't well off. My father drove a clapped out potato to work and we lived in a treehouse in Glasnevin Cemetery. Our first holiday wasn't until I was 15 to Dublin zoo and all they had was horses painted as zebras. I was in 6th year before I saw my first film on VCR: Rocky IV. The lads in the CBS slagged me off because we couldn't afford a map at home and I thought Ivan Drago was from Cork.

It's been done better...MP etc.

https://youtu.be/unkIVvjZc9Y

of course they did, but it is not only the emotional issues of the individuals themselves, that matters, but of those that are left behind!

There's always someone on the end of a phone though...

https://youtu.be/H_o7IAP5tpQ

There's always someone on the end of a phone though...

are you okay, you seem to be posting unusual videos, do you need help, do you need a doctor or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Feisar wrote: »
    Agreed, the way I got my feet under me was working abroad with my employer paying for my accommodation etc.

At the same time the Lattés and Netflix add up.

But I keep saying they don't.

You could give up Netflix and lattes completely and save, what, a few hundred a year? Who cares? What real help is that towards a deposit?

Netflix is one of the cheapest forms of entertainment there is. Way cheaper than going to the cinema even once a month or renting DVDs at the weekends like our parents did. So you'd take away a major source of entertainment for what benefit?

McGaggs wrote: »
    Are you paying the appropriate tax on that arrangement? I don't believe in that one myself, but it is in the rules...

There would be no tax on this arrangement.
    Right, so on one hand you're criticising millennials for being spoiled and on the other you're looking at people forced to live in vans or boats because they can't afford actual homes and holding them up as some kind of example. When millennials live in tiny houses and vans, it's held up as being some sort of bougie life choice for hipsters instead of what it actually is - young people who are poor and homeless and desperately trying to do anything they can to avoid the rent trap.

Boats and vans aren't even the answer, by the way. I was seriously considering a house boat to live on the canals, and they're tens of thousands to buy, even if they're in poor condition, and then mooring fees on top if you actually want to 'live' anywhere.

Remind me again how tough our parents had it?

I think you are taking about a very small minority of people here but sounding like it’s the majority.

I don’t know anyone personally who is struggling like you describe. A lot stay living at home by choice or house share in their 20’s to save money but doing this saving and living a good life was possible.

Of my main group of friends about 90% of us own homes, with most buying or building in their late 20’s or early 30’s. None of us live in Dublin though which makes it harder but at the same time buying a home for people now in their late 20’s or early 30’s is very far from the impossibility you make it out to be for most people. The very parents you are giving out about are also helping a lot of my generation to buy their homes too so you might bedgrudge the money they made from decades of hard work but it is far from being horded and or not benefiting people in the next generation.

Are you renting alone, it sounds like you are if 50% of your income goes on rent. Renting alone is not feasible if you want to save hard and still live a decent lifestyle. You need to rent a cheapish room or live at home

I think you are taking about a very small minority of people here but sounding like it’s the majority.

I don’t know anyone personally who is struggling like you describe. A lot stay living at home by choice or house share in their 20’s to save money but doing this saving and living a good life was possible.

Of my main group of friends about 90% of us own homes, with most buying or building in their late 20’s or early 30’s. None of us live in Dublin though which makes it harder but at the same time buying a home for people now in their late 20’s or early 30’s is very far from the impossibility you make it out to be for most people. The very parents you are giving out about are also helping a lot of my generation to buy their homes too so you might bedgrudge the money they made from decades of hard work but it is far from being horded and it not benefiting people in the next generation.

most younger generations are in serious trouble, regarding gaining access to their most critical of needs, then of course theres those that are in serious trouble, the unhoused etc

• Advertisement

I'm sorry but any argument you had against being entitled has gone out the window using Rathgar as your example of being priced out of owning your own home.

You don't earn enough to live in the most sought after address in Dublin. Simple as. Cut your cloth to suit your measure like everyone else or spend your life pi$$ing and moaning about what you THINK you should have.

Where did I say I wanted to live in Rathgar? I don't want to live in Dublin at all.

I'm simply refuting that poster's baseless statement that single professionals expect 3-bed houses in Dublin city. I'm saying that even a studio flat in Rathgar (which, again, is the kind of normal, nice suburb which a generation or two ago, people were buying houses in no bother) is out of reach of even quite a well paid professional, so that statement is utter bollix.

But I keep saying they don't.

You could give up Netflix and lattes completely and save, what, a few hundred a year? Who cares? What real help is that towards a deposit?

Netflix is one of the cheapest forms of entertainment there is. Way cheaper than going to the cinema even once a month or renting DVDs at the weekends like our parents did. So you'd take away a major source of entertainment for what benefit?

Well you actually need a smart device to watch it and a BB connection. Then somewhere to watch it. I'm going to assume most people don't just have Netflix. Because I did only have Netflix for about a year and that gets old real fast.

The whole Netflix thing though is missing the point. The inequality of wealth distribution is widening. Society is becoming less equal. People will be less well off then previous generations.

Of my main group of friends about 90% of us own homes, with most buying or building in their late 20’s or early 30’s. None of us live in Dublin though which makes it harder but at the same time buying a home for people now in their late 20’s or early 30’s is very far from the impossibility you make it out to be for most people. The very parents you are giving out about are also helping a lot of my generation to buy their homes too so you might bedgrudge the money they made from decades of hard work but it is far from being horded and or not benefiting people in the next generation.

Are you renting alone, it sounds like you are if 50% of your income goes on rent. Renting alone is not feasible if you want to save hard and still live a decent lifestyle. You need to rent a cheapish room or live at home

Well, Nox, not everyone has the option of living at home with Mammy rent-free until they're 30. I've been paying rent since I turned 18.

Yes, I could have saved up a deposit easily if I could have stayed at home, but how is that relevant?

I love that you think most 30 somethings stay at home to save up and then are gifted a nice chunk of money by the parents. I'm sure that's lovely for those who have that option, but many of us don't.

Well you actually need a smart device to watch it and a BB connection. Then somewhere to watch it. I'm going to assume most people don't just have Netflix. Because I did only have Netflix for about a year and that gets old real fast.

The whole Netflix thing though is missing the point.

It's missing the point in that these 'luxuries' people go on about are completely irrelevant.

I have a TV given to me for free by a friend, I pay about 25 quid a month for internet I need for work, and I pay 1/3 of a Netflix subscription.

Sure yeah, maybe the 3 quid a month or something I spend on Netflix is why I can't save. It's definitely that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Where did I say I wanted to live in Rathgar? I don't want to live in Dublin at all.

I'm simply refuting that poster's baseless statement that single professionals expect 3-bed houses in Dublin city. I'm saying that even a studio flat in Rathgar (which, again, is the kind of normal, nice suburb which a generation or two ago, people were buying houses in no bother) is out of reach of even quite a well paid professional, so that statement is utter bollix.

No, you're talking utter bollocks. A well paid professional could afford a 200k property, not that it had anything to do with what I was talking about.

Your mask slipped however to show I was right in my assumption about peoples expectations.

It's not just lower paid workers who moan like this by the way, I'm friends with a couple who have half a mill to spend and moan about Dalkey being too pricey.

Ush1 wrote: »
    No, you're talking utter bollocks. A well paid professional could afford a 200k property, not that it had anything to do with what I was talking about.

Your mask slipped however to show I was right in my assumption about peoples expectations.

It's not just lower paid workers who moan like this by the way, I'm friends with a couple who have half a mill to spend and moan about Dalkey being too pricey.

again, you re missing the bigger picture, and this is a growing global problem, the people have begun to revolt, we should really try change things, before we start doing really dump things!

It's missing the point in that these 'luxuries' people go on about are completely irrelevant.

I have a TV given to me for free by a friend, I pay about 25 quid a month for internet I need for work, and I pay 1/3 of a Netflix subscription.

Sure yeah, maybe the 3 quid a month or something I spend on Netflix is why I can't save. It's definitely that.

You'd prefer to bang on about Netflix.

The reality is people have unrealistic expectations of where they can afford to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

again, you re missing the bigger picture, and this is a growing global problem, the people have begun to revolt, we should really try change things, before we start doing really dump things!

What bigger picture am I missing exactly? That people want what they can't have?

Sure we can all live in Dalkey so, there's a revolt or something....

Ush1 wrote: »
    What bigger picture am I missing exactly? That people want what they can't have?

Sure we can all live in Dalkey so, there's a revolt or something....

most younger generations, cant actually get access to what they truly need, and they have limited capacity to do so, this is causing serious issues globally, for all citizens, including older generations. id imagine most younger generations have little or no ability to buy a house in dalkey, and know this, and in fact have little or no interest anyway, i.e. they are more realistic than that

• Advertisement

Actually I didn't but hyperbole is a unconvincing way to make an argument.

A lot of parents didn't stay in Ireland. They left. They were jammed into all sorts of housing much like the economic migrants into Ireland are doing today. its also a repeat of what happened before that in the 50's etc.

The alternative housing is what it is. There are many ways to do that.

But the fact remains people are chasing something thats not affordable.

Sure, but my point is that the narrative has changed.

When our parents did it, it was all 'poor them'. Forced to leave the country to have opportunities abroad, slaving away for a pittance, immigrants.

When millennials in their twenties do exactly the same thing for the same reason, suddenly it isn't 'emigrating', it's 'travelling' or 'gap years'. No recognition that many of us didn't really want to leave, or the emotional toll of living in a foreign country on your own.

If your dad had told you he had to live in a van because he couldn't afford a house, you'd be horrified. People in previous generations who did that were called what they were - homeless, vagabonds, itinerants. Now when millennials do it for the same reason, it's seen as some kind of hip 'lifestyle choice' because they might make a few quid off it for their YouTube channel.

The fact is that you need to call this stuff what it is - poverty. Someone being a millennial and owning a smartphone doesn't exempt them from being in poverty.

All of these 'luxuries' people bang on about are irrelevant. Most of them aren't even expensive. I guarantee you that I could sell every single thing I own and have it come in under two grand, including the laptop I need for my work. That's all the assets I have, and it isn't unusual for my generation to be in this position.

Advertisement