Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on this build

Options
  • 28-08-2020 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone think this is an OK build?

I haven't included a GPU because I want to wait for a week and see what happens with the 3000 series

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 Twelve Core 4.3GHz, ASUS TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (WI-FI) Motherboard CPU Bundle
    CODE: TUF-55MPW-390
    MEMORY UPGRADE DUAL DDR4:

Corsair 16GB (2x 8GB) 3600Mhz DDR4 Vengeance LPX (+£69.99 )
    CHOOSE YOUR DISCOUNTED POWER SUPPLY:

Corsair CV650 650W Bronze Power Supply (+£51.95 )

£611

Samsung 970 EVO PLUS NVMe M.2 1TB internal Solid State Drive SSD - MZ-V7S1T0BW
    CODE: F7D-A2D-507
    £199.99

Cooler Master MasterBox MB520 ARGB LED ATX Tempered Glass PC Case
    CODE: B0A-4E1-BF2
    £68.99

£880.91
    DPD Classic EU (CHANGE)£12.99
    Taxes
    VAT (20%)£146.82
    TOTAL COST £893.90

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Anyone think this is an OK build?

I haven't included a GPU because I want to wait for a week and see what happens with the 3000 series

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 Twelve Core 4.3GHz, ASUS TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (WI-FI) Motherboard CPU Bundle
    CODE: TUF-55MPW-390
    MEMORY UPGRADE DUAL DDR4:

Corsair 16GB (2x 8GB) 3600Mhz DDR4 Vengeance LPX (+£69.99 )
    CHOOSE YOUR DISCOUNTED POWER SUPPLY:

Corsair CV650 650W Bronze Power Supply (+£51.95 )

Samsung 970 EVO PLUS NVMe M.2 1TB internal Solid State Drive SSD - MZ-V7S1T0BW
    CODE: F7D-A2D-507
    £199.99

Cooler Master MasterBox MB520 ARGB LED ATX Tempered Glass PC Case
    CODE: B0A-4E1-BF2
    £68.99

£880.91
    DPD Classic EU (CHANGE)£12.99
    Taxes
    VAT (20%)£146.82
    TOTAL COST £893.90

You building it for gaming yeah? What games do you plan on running?

Unless your doing a lot of streaming and video encoding, etc... the 3900 is a bit overkill. 3700x would be grand for gaming in general.

Few iterations I'd do:

* Change CPU out for 3700x. (If you want to save a bit more then you could even go back to the 3600/3600x).

* Change Mobo to the MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, its a fantastic Mobo.

* Change the SSD to the AData XPG SX8200 NVMe.

* Spend a bit extra on the PSU and go for something like the Corsair RM650.

* If you like RGB you can swap out your RAM for the HyperX Fury RGB sticks, currently 70 bucks on CCL.

No harm investing in some quite case fans (Arctic fans are pretty dang silent) and possibly a quieter CPU cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

MSFS is what I'd like to run, I think this is maybe just enough?

MSFS is what I'd like to run, I think this is maybe just enough?

3700x and 32gb ram then would be a good starting point, hold off for the new cards coming out.

Studying overclockers it seems from the limited bench-marking available that it does favour 8 cores/16 threads (3700x) but 6 cores/12 threads (3600/3600x) isnt that much of a difference (seems to be only 6% improvement)

Just forgot to mention that the RTX 3x series will more than likely be power hungry so no harm bumping up your PSU to 750/850w.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Look at x570 boards all PCIe 4.0 slots rather than b550 boards only some PCIe 4.0 slots
    Also look at PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD really fast
    I would look at GPU as Nvidia will bring out the expensive cards first expect only 10% increase performance
    The cheaper cards will not come out until December Nvidia cards will have 12 port plug so you might need to increase psu
    You CPU is overkill for gaming. What are you using. It for

• Advertisement

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    Look at x570 boards all PCIe 4.0 slots rather than b550 boards only some PCIe 4.0 slots
    Also look at PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD really fast
    I would look at GPU as Nvidia will bring out the expensive cards first expect only 10% increase performance
    The cheaper cards will not come out until December Nvidia cards will have 12 port plug so you might need to increase psu
    You CPU is overkill for gaming. What are you using. It for

I would be hoping to run MSFS on it, by all accounts its very resource hungry especially on the ultra settings.
    I was building more with an eye on being able to upgrade it as necessary, hence the overkill but I will take on board what you said about the X570 board.

I would be hoping to run MSFS on it, by all accounts its very resource hungry especially on the ultra settings.
    I was building more with an eye on being able to upgrade it as necessary, hence the overkill but I will take on board what you said about the X570 board.

I wouldn't bother with the x570, thats just my opinion. Id rather invest the money into the GPU.

The 550 has a PCIe 4.0 slot for the Graphics card and one of the M.2 slots is also 4.0. Thats enough for 99% of users.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

On the nVidia cards, the 12 pin plug is only on the founders (nVidia's own brand) AFAIK. I'd still go for a more beefy PSU though. 700 - 850W and a decent brand. I think we're going to see more than a 10% performance increase simply given the massive power requirements of these new cards.

3900 is a good CPU, can't be bought DIY but I see certain retailers selling it bundled with a motherboard. I think you'd be better off with a 3700X though and then upgrading to a higher core count 4000 series chip six months or so (let them work out the bugs) after launch if needed. MS FS2020 isn't CPU intensive - yet.

If going for an X570 board, seek more specific advice as some of them are absolute dogs.

3900 is a good CPU, can't be bought DIY but I see certain retailers selling it bundled with a motherboard. I think you'd be better off with a 3700X though and then upgrading to a higher core count 4000 series chip six months or so (let them work out the bugs) after launch if needed. MS FS2020 isn't CPU intensive - yet.

The reason I chose the 3900 is that it was a bundle already configured.
    And the price I thought was pretty good.
    https://www.awd-it.co.uk/amd-ryzen-9-3900-twelve-core-4.3ghz-asus-tuf-gaming-b550-plus-motherboard-cpu-bundle.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    The cheaper cards will not come out until December Nvidia cards will have 12 port plug so you might need to increase psur

It's already been confirmed that the 12-pin connector doesn't need new PSUs.

12-pin_678x452.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement