Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heuston to Tralee

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Irish Rail website down, but last time I got it to work you cannot pre book your seats. I don't get the logic of this. Surely if they are observing social distancing on board (are they), they can block off the seats that should be kept free. So it's a free for all as usual.

Anyway anyone any idea how SD is working on Inter City without pre booking? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭esposito

The MKIV travelled to Killarney today on a trial. A sign of things to come? I certainly hope so.

https://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/2020-Photos/September-2020/i-kMcTPsS?fbclid=IwAR0PF8kawX0iVe_f55HSn1zEw3acXzPHpbBJ90HiiQYXtYh0kQExiwoVvC0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Mk4 has been to Killarney multiple times. There was an intermittent charter operation in the past.

Mk4 is cleared, Heuston-Cork/Limerick/Killarney (but non stop Mallow Killarney) also cleared Connolly (all platforms) to Dundalk

Mk4 has been to Killarney multiple times. There was an intermittent charter operation in the past.

Mk4 is cleared, Heuston-Cork/Limerick/Killarney (but non stop Mallow Killarney) also cleared Connolly (all platforms) to Dundalk

Surely they can find a way for it to stop at stations between Mallow and Tralee. If the loco stops past the platform? Or simply lock the doors of the first (or last) two carriages or something like that in order to overcome the short platforms?

I mean when the MK3 operated the line (which had many carriages) I don’t think there were any issues with platforms.

Mk4 can only stop where the train fits the platform. There are no exemptions, them the rules. Ballybrophy as a result is a bit of challenge.

The Mk3 had grandfather rights but this only applies to stations/routes which were open, new stations, new lines, reopened lines don't count.

• Advertisement

Mk4 can only stop where the train fits the platform. There are no exemptions, them the rules. Ballybrophy as a result is a bit of challenge.

The Mk3 had grandfather rights but this only applies to stations/routes which were open, new stations, new lines, reopened lines don't count.

That’s sh**ty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

A Mk4 would better serve Waterford than Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

So everywhere apart from Ennis/Atherny and Glounthaune /Middleton basically.

So everywhere apart from Ennis/Atherny and Glounthaune /Middleton basically.

And M3 Parkway

Irish Rail got busted by the CRR when they sent a Mk3 down the WRC, thankfully the safety people intervened before the trip and a shorter train was sent. Cravens at Midleton however slipped through.

Dublin Limerick if it was an express service would be the best use, but the existing Dublin Cork timetable needs the whole fleet if things are normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

You can send a train wherever you want if you buy selective door opening to ensure doors only open onto a platform. There was talk of a retrofit to the 22Ks at one time but I think they “solved” those issues by qualifying 4-5 car formations instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

And M3 Parkway

Irish Rail got busted by the CRR when they sent a Mk3 down the WRC, thankfully the safety people intervened before the trip and a shorter train was sent. Cravens at Midleton however slipped through.

Dublin Limerick if it was an express service would be the best use, but the existing Dublin Cork timetable needs the whole fleet if things are normal.

This just demonstrates how pointless the CRR are. Its fine for someone to fall off a train on a short platform because train ran on a line before but not ok for it to happen on a new one.

The WRC Mk3 trip should have ran a full set. Midleton was fair to stop as it blocked the road if I am not mistaken.

Trains longer than platfroms should be allowed accross all fleets with additional measures in place however should not be allowed reguarly i.e. part of a daily timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,794 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Grandfathering is absolutely normal across the world and not a CRR invention

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

L1011 wrote: »
    Grandfathering is absolutely normal across the world and not a CRR invention

I know its not specific to CRR but safety is safety, its either safe to run a train off a short platform or its not. CRR should have allowed Mk3s to run on all lines and the same applies to all stock.

Does the gen van and loco have to fit within the platform length as well or is ot just passenger coaches.

How would South Wexford Line be view if it was to reopen. Would it hold onto the grandfather rights or would all stations/platforms need to rebuilt as a new line. Them haults are nowhere near modern day standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

IE 222 wrote: »
    Does the gen van and loco have to fit within the platform length as well or is ot just passenger coaches.

How would South Wexford Line be view if it was to reopen. Would it hold onto the grandfather rights or would all stations/platforms need to rebuilt as a new line. Them haults are nowhere near modern day standards.
    ultimately the modern standards aren’t an affectation but are an attempt to remove obstacles for people of limited mobility to being able to travel, or being able to do so without a carer guiding them across gaps etc. I assume that South Wexford would at minimum need to come up to whatever standard the Ennis-Galway stations did - they were 90m platforms I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Afraid I can't make head or tail of your post. Especially the ICR has half the cost per pass/km vs Mk3.....what's that all about?

Was thinking the same. Suppose it's directed to more knowledgeable people.

dowlingm wrote: »
    ultimately the modern standards aren’t an affectation but are an attempt to remove obstacles for people of limited mobility to being able to travel, or being able to do so without a carer guiding them across gaps etc. I assume that South Wexford would at minimum need to come up to whatever standard the Ennis-Galway stations did - they were 90m platforms I think?

That's what I would've thought as well. Wasn't sure if it's current status would allow for it to reopen as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,794 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I know its not specific to CRR but safety is safety, its either safe to run a train off a short platform or its not. CRR should have allowed Mk3s to run on all lines and the same applies to all stock.

That's not how grandfathering works

You do not introduce a new risk - you only accept a risk base you have with the expectation that you will - eventually - remove it.

The risk of short platforms is not a risk attached to the rolling stock; its down to the stations. A new build station cannot accept a longer consist than its platforms (unless SDO is used), end of.

Same way that sharp curve platforms can't be built anymore.

Advertisement