Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

disputing a warning from beasty

Options
  • 28-08-2020 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭

I received a warning from Beasty for this post:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114456925&postcount=4413

The original warning was for being uncivil but after some PMs it has morphed into being off-topic. can an admin look at this?

the full PM conversation was

Beasty

Dear ohnonotgmail,

You have been warned for being uncivil.

Typically, this means that you are posting in a needlessly aggressive or confrontational manner being disruptive on the forum or causing stress for the other members. We don't want that here.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

Beasty

Moderator Note

Attack the post, not the poster

Your post:
    Overheal wrote: »
    The finest example of 'drinking the Kool Aid' I have since witnessed on this website.

I only seen that nonsense from Pete because you quoted it and i do not thank you for it. what is the point of debating with somebody who earnestly posts that rubbish? they are beyond saving. life is so much better when you dont see posts like that.
    [/QUOTE]

My initial reply

i thought the question i asked was reasonable. what is the point of arguing with somebody that posts that rubbish? i am sure you will tell me i am wrong.

Beasty:

What had your comments to do with the topic in question? It was discussing a poster and not the topic. If you have a problem with a poster report it. If you have them on your ignore list that is your prerogative but you cannot complain if someone else quotes them. That's as much backseat modding as it is uncivil

Me:

i commented on the quality of their posts not the poster. the same as others have done. the comment about only seeing those posts because Overheal quoted them was lighthearted. i thought that was obvious. and what i posted is very relevant to the topic. when one one poster posts nonsense what is the point in discussing anything with them?

Beasty:

The quality of their posts is not the topic

Me:

fair to say then that i have exhausted this avenue of complaint. i will take it to the helpdesk.

beasty:

It's DRP where you appeal a card or ban. Help Desk is for threadbans and other complaints

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've mentioned this to the relevant CMods, but will of course have no more involvement in this appeal

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hi
    Thanks for engaging with the mod who issued the card.

I think your post was aimed at criticising another poster rather than addressing the topic of the thread. If you have someone on ignore, good for you, as that is what I recommend to lots of posters that find issue with others. Commenting on thread that you have them on ignore is hardly then necessary.
    Given that a yellow card is the mildest warning I find it appropriate in this instance.

You may request an admin to review my decision. Please advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Hi
    Thanks for engaging with the mod who issued the card.

I think your post was aimed at criticising another poster rather than addressing the topic of the thread. If you have someone on ignore, good for you, as that is what I recommend to lots of posters that find issue with others. Commenting on thread that you have them on ignore is hardly then necessary.
    Given that a yellow card is the mildest warning I find it appropriate in this instance.

You may request an admin to review my decision. Please advise.

I would like an admin to review. It seems that posting unexpurgated rubbish is ok but pointing out that a user is doing that is not ok? do I have that correct?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I will review if that's ok. I will try and get to it this afternoon.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I have given this a bit of time as I think it's quite borderline.

It's arguable you were playing the ball rather than the man. On the other hand, there is no doubt that in playing the ball you took a good chunk out of the man to continue the analogy.

If you choose to excoriate someone to that extent, there is always a good chance you will cross over the line into being uncivil. In this case, that is what happened and as a result of the foregoing, the yellow card warning, which is at the lowest end of the scale of available recorded sanctions, for being uncivil, which you were, is completely justified.

As such, I am upholding the card here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement