Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staying after Stamp 1G expiration

• 28-08-2020 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi guys,

My current Stamp 1G expires end of September (also subject to whether the gov gives another month extension due to covid which many predict will happen) . I won't be able to renew it again so I would need to back my home country.

I would like to stay here for another 2-3 weeks just to wrap stuff up after my card expires. Would I need to get a stamp on my passport as proof of holiday vaca? I'm a Malaysian passport holder so I don't need an entry visa by default naturally.

I've heard from mates that they can stay pass their Gnib expiry date, without having to do anything, but I want to play it safe. I don't want to get into trouble if any public officials ask for proof.

Any advice on how to get this situation settled?

Regards,
    Ja Wei

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

You'd have to leave and re-enter the country to get a visitor permission stamp, and it's unlikely they'd allow you back in under those circumstances, having just ended a long period of residence here, as you would be considered a high risk to overstay.

If you overstay your Stamp 1G by a few weeks, you aren't going to be arrested or removed by force or anything (the process doesn't work that quickly, even if you somehow came to the attention of the immigration authorities immediately), but your departure date will be recorded and your overstay will be on record and you might have a very difficult time returning to Ireland again in the future. It might also make it difficult to obtain other visas or permissions in other countries, if they share information with Ireland. You really need to start "wrapping up" your affairs now so that you can leave as required before your permission expires.

Advertisement