Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension costs

Options
  • 28-08-2020 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hello I want to get a 10 metre squared extension to the rear of my property for a playroom / tv room for the kids. Does anyone have an idea on what kind of price I would be looking at? It’s a very basic extension, nothing fancy. I am just going to remove my patio doors from the dining room and have it open plan into the extension so no walls need to be knocked down. I just want a window and double doors in the extension, obviously radiator, lighting, sockets, etc. Does anyone have a guide price or any tips for building an extension? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Cazzums wrote: »
    Hello I want to get a 10 metre squared extension to the rear of my property for a playroom / tv room for the kids. Does anyone have an idea on what kind of price I would be looking at? It’s a very basic extension, nothing fancy. I am just going to remove my patio doors from the dining room and have it open plan into the extension so no walls need to be knocked down. I just want a window and double doors in the extension, obviously radiator, lighting, sockets, etc. Does anyone have a guide price or any tips for building an extension? Thanks in advance!

30-40k give or take.
    Get 3 quotes to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

€2000 to €5000 per sq m, depending on quality and finish

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

We did similar (think it was about €10k) although we didn't remove the doors to keep it as a separate room.

Not sure of the square footage but it's got a 2seater couch, multiple ikea kalax cubes and kids table and chairs in there and still has some space for the kids to keep leaving stuff around.

We got it done probably 5/6 or maybe more years ago, a few polish lads - Dublin based- who are in the building trade did it - my wife's family have used them on multiple occasions, we had to pay a bit extra for them to come out to Meath - think there were 3 of them, original idea was a sunroom, so facing the garden now is a large window, to the right of that window is the new pvc backdoor, skylight in the roof above allows good light in as do the 4 recessed spotlights, it's insulated and has a radiator if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Any chance the 10 grand price was in dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Could you pm me the builder details? Was it Dublin based?

quote="Irishphotodesk;114469516"]We did similar (think it was about €10k) although we didn't remove the doors to keep it as a separate room.

Not sure of the square footage but it's got a 2seater couch, multiple ikea kalax cubes and kids table and chairs in there and still has some space for the kids to keep leaving stuff around.

We got it done probably 5/6 or maybe more years ago, a few polish lads - Dublin based- who are in the building trade did it - my wife's family have used them on multiple occasions, we had to pay a bit extra for them to come out to Meath - think there were 3 of them, original idea was a sunroom, so facing the garden now is a large window, to the right of that window is the new pvc backdoor, skylight in the roof above allows good light in as do the 4 recessed spotlights, it's insulated and has a radiator if needed.[/quote]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

We did similar (think it was about €10k) although we didn't remove the doors to keep it as a separate room.

We got it done probably 5/6 or maybe more years ago, a few polish lads - Dublin based- who are in the building trade did it - my wife's family have used them on multiple occasions, we had to pay a bit extra for them to come out to Meath - think there were 3 of them, original idea was a sunroom, so facing the garden now is a large window, to the right of that window is the new pvc backdoor, skylight in the roof above allows good light in as do the 4 recessed spotlights, it's insulated and has a radiator if needed.

Must have been a cash job so, handing over ten grand to a 3 polish fellas who arnt insured to do works on your house which could affect the structural integrity is risky business. If one of them stumps their toe they could take your no claims bonus out of your insurance never mind if the back of the house falls down. I could be wrong but 10 grand is frighteningly low.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Aurelian

I'm doing the exact same, just got quoted 23k for this extension as part of a larger job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

bri007 wrote: »
    Could you pm me the builder details? Was it Dublin based?
    Any chance the 10 grand price was in dublin?

No, we live in meath but the lads are Dublin based, will ask my wife for contact details for the main guy.

Wasn’t a cash job, money was transferred by bank transfer and receipt is put aside somewhere.

Bri007, will ask my wife if she can put her hands on the receipt (it’s probably filed in the attic) will PM it if/when it’s found.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭ebayissues

Can you PM me their details as well?

I'd be expecting 20kish - 10k, sounds way to cheap alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Thanks that would be great
    No, we live in meath but the lads are Dublin based, will ask my wife for contact details for the main guy.

Wasn’t a cash job, money was transferred by bank transfer and receipt is put aside somewhere.

Bri007, will ask my wife if she can put her hands on the receipt (it’s probably filed in the attic) will PM it if/when it’s found.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭ebayissues

Hey, did you manage to find the lads who did your extension?

Advertisement