Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cocaine etc is everywhere?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I know people who use cannabis a few times a week, it does not turn them into desperate maniacs .
    i find it very hard to believe one third of a school are now suddenly coke addicts.
    i would not try cocaine if i was paid to use it.
    if you are 18 years of old and in leaving cert level you are not a child.
    cocaine is used by middle class and rich people .
    Weed and other cheaper drugs are used by people on lower wages .
    Its easier to get certain illegal drugs than to get a prescription for a legal drug.
    a drug dealer just wants money and will give anything to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭pgj2015

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    This. But I lost whatever belief I had when he said the knackers were only in school to deal. Pleeeeeeeeeraaaaaaaaassssssse.

You would hope if someone is cute enough to run a drug dealing network within a secondary school that they would have at least one eye on college?

Most drug dealers are very smart people. If you are not smart enough for that game you are doooooomed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This. But I lost whatever belief I had when he said the knackers were only in school to deal. Pleeeeeeeeeraaaaaaaaassssssse.

You would hope if someone is cute enough to run a drug dealing network within a secondary school that they would have at least one eye on college?

Most drug dealers are very smart people. If you are not smart enough for that game you are doooooomed.
    Drug dealers have necks like Jockeys Bolloxes, like most criminals, and don't really fear the law.
    Smart they are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

kippy wrote: »
    Drug dealers have necks like Jockeys Bolloxes, like most criminals, and don't really fear the law.
    Smart they are not.

Drug dealers are not all alike. You get chancers and scumbags and highly educated. Ones that care about quality over quantity and ones that don't give a sh!te.

The o es that aren't so quick don't last do long. Others can be in business for many happy years of trading.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

pgj2015 wrote: »

They are smart, being a rough edge does not mean you cannot read or write.... or organise.

They would buy and sell you.

• Advertisement

They are smart, being a rough edge does not mean you cannot read or write.... or organise.

They would buy and sell you.

How would you know anything about me. obviously some of them are smart but the general joe soap ones we all know are anything but smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

riclad wrote: »
    Its easier to get certain illegal drugs than to get a prescription for a legal drug.

This. Re my comment regarding Dextroamphetamine, it's nowhere near as easy to source online from an EU source as one might think, which means it's highly likely to be confiscated by customs coming from outside the EU. Buying from a local dealer who's already taken the risk of importing the stuff would be far more attractive.

Point is, I'm not doing it to get off my face, I'm doing it to treat an issue that's ridiculously difficult and expensive to get treated through the "proper" channels. Which is the same reason a lot of people take illegal drugs - scratch beneath the surface and you'll find that they are being used to relieve anxiety and/or depression, two issues for which the current accepted treatments have emotion-numbing side effects which their illegal counterparts simple don't have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

One of the waitstaff where I work, found a small packet of cocaine under the table of a group she had served last night. Handed it into the Manager who put in his pocket and said he would deal with it. Yeah right, sniff, sniff.lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Some very interesting points being made and discussed here, but there's one issue that has not been clarified:
    Jaysus you're ticking a lot of boxes on the what makes someone a creep list!

As someone else asked, how? I re-read the post, and I'm struggling to see how that puts me on a creep list? Is it the hanging around with people 10+ years my junior, or the fact that I try my best to stay away from everyone and everything that is modern life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

There seems to be a lack of understanding of how cocaine dealing happens, from my experience anyway. Some people seem to think dealers are found in back alleys etc. It's not.

It's dealt in a very "social" or "networked" way. Not the right words to use but they are apt enough imo. In a medium size town you might have 4 or 5 lads bringing in significant quantities into the town. Underneath them you could have 20-30 others who are buying smallish quantities to cover themselves and their circle (I.e one lad buying 10 bags a week for 500, selling 7 or 8 of them, hoovering up the rest. They wouldn't be making much but they'd get their stuff for free). These lads vary from the permanently unemployed, to professionals, to sports stars etc.

There are no back alleys. If you're out, there could well be one of these lads in the pub/group with an extra bag or two on him to sell. Failing that, it's only ever a text away to someone you know or a friend of someone you know etc etc. I wouldn't say it's as easy as ordering a pint but it's not far off if you are close to any of these circles.

Not a fan of the drug myself, I've seen way too many become reliant on it for every night out, and even nights in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Smart they are not.

If some of rhem weren't smart, cocaine wouldn't be everywhere.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

If some of rhem weren't smart, cocaine wouldn't be everywhere.

Eh, that's like saying if criminals weren't smart there'd be no crime.....
    There's probably a few smarter than your average Joe but definitely no mensa level lads selling coke on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

There's probably a few smarter than your average Joe but definitely no mensa level lads selling coke on the ground.

Exactly - and there is crime and there are a lot of very smart people commiting said crimes. Of course, there are also a lot of idiots - I'm not denying this - but they tend not to opperate very very long.

I'g agree with the second statement to an extent, but but ultimately depends on what you mean by "on the ground".

On every area of crime it's just a constant cat and mouse game.
    Financial/Drug trade/cybercrime etc - authorities put processes in place, criminals problem solve their way around them. Repeat X forever

One of the coke dealers in my local town is as thick as pig $hit, everyone knows he is at it, the locals, guards etc hes a bully who has crossed way too many people at this stage and they are all after him. I can't wait until he gets a long stretch in prison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I know people who use cannabis a few times a week, it does not turn them into desperate maniacs .
    i find it very hard to believe one third of a school are now suddenly coke addicts.
    i would not try cocaine if i was paid to use it.
    if you are 18 years of old and in leaving cert level you are not a child.
    cocaine is used by middle class and rich people .
    Weed and other cheaper drugs are used by people on lower wages .
    a drug dealer just wants money and will give anything to anyone.

that's a myth from the 80's

PARlance wrote: »
    Not a fan of the drug myself, I've seen way too many become reliant on it for every night out, and even nights in.

This part is what confuses me, in the same way that "cocaine use has soared during quarantine" confuses me. Everything I've ever read about cocaine's mechanism of action and anecdotal reports from those who take it, suggests that it would make a night in absolutely hellish - doesn't it make you desperately want to be out and dancing in a crowd? If by a night in you mean a night in with company and doing something relatively stimulating then maybe I could see it, but it's starting to feel like I have an entirely misunderstood impression of what cocaine actually does - I always assumed it made one sociable and energetic to the point that having a quiet night in becomes extremely unpleasant, like trying to sit still after drinking too much coffee in the morning.

This part is what confuses me, in the same way that "cocaine use has soared during quarantine" confuses me. Everything I've ever read about cocaine's mechanism of action and anecdotal reports from those who take it, suggests that it would make a night in absolutely hellish - doesn't it make you desperately want to be out and dancing in a crowd? If by a night in you mean a night in with company and doing something relatively stimulating then maybe I could see it, but it's starting to feel like I have an entirely misunderstood impression of what cocaine actually does - I always assumed it made one sociable and energetic to the point that having a quiet night in becomes extremely unpleasant, like trying to sit still after drinking too much coffee in the morning.

You can enjoy a cocaine high without going mad for it - same as you can have a few beers or glasses of wine and not go big.

Its not like you take some and 6 mins later, you are stripped to the waist, dancing on your dining room table!

EDIT - But like everything, some things are better in moderation, and getting to the point where you need it to enjoy an event or relax or whatever, then its a problem.

kenmm wrote: »
    You can enjoy a cocaine high without going mad for it - same as you can have a few beers or glasses of wine and not go big.

Its not like you take some and 6 mins later, you are stripped to the waist, dancing on your dining room table!

EDIT - But like everything, some things are better in moderation, and getting to the point where you need it to enjoy an event or relax or whatever, then its a problem.

Although this is most definitely a viable option, everyone needs to live a little in fairness. I always try to keep both the coffee and dining room tables as bare as possible, in case of contingencies such as table dancing etc.

Interesting. I always assumed that the base line cocaine stimulation involved, as I suggested, a too-much-coffee level of physical restlessness. It's definitely new to hear someone suggest that you can do any amount of coke and not want to move.

• Advertisement

Interesting. I always assumed that the base line cocaine stimulation involved, as I suggested, a too-much-coffee level of physical restlessness. It's definitely new to hear someone suggest that you can do any amount of coke and not want to move.

ye - but big difference between getting fidgety and chatty to all out wanting to dance. Depends on mood you are starting off with, other stimulating factors etc.

Abs. But Paddy , please do trust me as regards table dancing options. Total game changer once it kicks off.:pac::pac:

If you are new to table dancing I would suggest you start off by removing your shirt and twirling it around in a circular motion above your head, almost like pretending it is a lasoo. Try also to gyrate a little and cat calling is always acceptable.

Have fun.

Abs. But Paddy , please do trust me as regards table dancing options. Total game changer once it kicks off.:pac::pac:

If you are new to table dancing I would suggest you start off by removing your shirt and twirling it around in a circular motion above your head, almost like pretending it is a lasoo. Try also to gyrate a little and cat calling is always acceptable.

Have fun.

Start off on the laminate/wood floor to get your technique right, then get up on the tables

Have fun.

if you have one of those fan lamps hanging from the ceiling MAKE SURE it's turned off! Or better still, remove it altogether...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It's more of a confidence thing imo. You'll have lads dancing (kitchen table optional but almost essential) to Toto - Africa on repeat at 6am, who wouldn't dance if you paid them normally.

So it's not that you feel a massive urge, it's that you're confident enough not to care, if you get me.

When I mentioned nights in, it'd be a night in with the lads rather than solo. But I do know of some sad cases that would do it alone.

I've enough sense these days to see a table as something for eating from but I'm still involved with football etc and you hear all the craic from the younger and not so younger lads. The nights in were rampant during lockdown.

PARlance wrote: »
    It's more of a confidence thing imo. You'll have lads dancing (kitchen table optional but almost essential) to Toto - Africa on repeat at 6am, who wouldn't dance if you paid them normally.

So it's not that you feel a massive urge, it's that you're confident enough not to care, if you get me.

When I mentioned nights in, it'd be a night in with the lads rather than solo. But I do know of some sad cases that would do it alone.

I've enough sense these days to see a table as something for eating from but I'm still involved with football etc and you hear all the craic from the younger and not so younger lads. The nights in were rampant during lockdown.

Guilty as charged. Total sucker for Toto as it happens. Den den den den den den dennnnnnn.

Also at around 6-7 am more likely to be found at a body length mirror with my arms raised high above my head staring at my reflection roaring it out. Everyone would remarkably find that quite funny also. It can get very surreal at dawn, even before the hugging starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

No need for lines. Many people just dip their key into the bag and have a quick sniff when they are in the toilet or in a corner of the smoking area.
    A quick bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

God, all this talk off dancing on tables is giving me the goo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I don't buy drugs but I hear weed or other drugs are cheaper than coke. There's different levels of drug dealers, your local drug dealer does not need to be very smart. And the pay is better than working in Tesco.
    Drugs are available in every Western country.
    Read any book about the music industry, it's seems every band has one or 2 people using drugs. Maybe people in certain jobs use cocaine like speed it gives them energy to keep working
    and it makes them feel good.
    Maybe it's like cigs when you start smoking it's hard to give them up, drugs are addictive.

• Advertisement

I don't buy drugs but I hear weed or other drugs are cheaper than coke. There's different levels of drug dealers, your local drug dealer does not need to be very smart. And the pay is better than working in Tesco.
    Drugs are available in every Western country.
    Read any book about the music industry, it's seems every band has one or 2 people using drugs. Maybe people in certain jobs use cocaine like speed it gives them energy to keep working
    and it makes them feel good.
    Maybe it's like cigs when you start smoking it's hard to give them up, drugs are addictive.

When your famous or have contacts it's easier to get stuff.

Cocaine is one of the most expensive (and overrated) drugs out there, but it's not one of the most addictive (that honour would go to heroin, nicotine and alcohol).

The thing is that, with the arrival of the dark web and cryptocurrencies it's easier to get and you don't even need to leave the house, so the shady streetdealer is generally cut out of the loop, smart or otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

When your famous or have contacts it's easier to get stuff.

Cocaine is one of the most expensive (and overrated) drugs out there, but it's not one of the most addictive (that honour would go to heroin, nicotine and alcohol).

The thing is that, with the arrival of the dark web and cryptocurrencies it's easier to get and you don't even need to leave the house, so the shady streetdealer is generally cut out of the loop, smart or otherwise.

How do you measure addiction when you say cocaine is not the most addictive?
    I would have thought a more reasonable way to look at the impact of any drug would be its impact in society , its narcotic effect on the individual , development of dependence, financial cost and treatments along with withdrawals.

A cocaine addiction is difficult to treat needing hours of counselling often heavily leaning towards dealing with suicide Tuesday crash .It impacts on mental health and combined with alcohol , it's a recipe for disaster.
    It really has no similarities to heroin or alcohol.

Cocaine addiction is a sneaky one, quite insidious really. Many go from having it now and again to needing it for a night out and then drift into it becoming a more regular thing. Bad 2 day hangover? Some left over, sure why not a quick a line. Small one like, just to feel a bit better.

Buying some for the weekend on Wednesday/Thursday? Sure it would be rude not to sample the goods, just so you know what you have and if it's any decent.

Buying for a few people. Better get a bit more 'just in case'..

Combine that with the quickness of the high, the amount required to get high, the cost. Plus if you ever get decent stuff, you will want that feeling again and again.

Not everyone does this of course, but for a lot, this is how it starts and once it's regular, it takes something big (breakup, breakdown, fired, spiraling credit card debt) to break the habit or months of addiction support as someone else said.

I don't think it is anywhere near as addictive as say nicotine or gear.

It is bingey in nature, but I have met very few cocaine users who could not put a lid on it after a while. That does not mean that they are not on it, but most are not crying into their shaving mirror in a dark room at home.

I would be more concerned with meth use, that shít is beautiful and will be a problem down the line, if it isn't already.

I don't think it is anywhere near as addictive as say nicotine or gear.

It is bingey in nature, but I have met very few cocaine users who could not put a lid on it after a while. That does not mean that they are not on it, but most are not crying into their shaving mirror in a dark room at home.

I would be more concerned with meth use, that shít is beautiful and will be a problem down the line, if it isn't already.

Dunno about the brown stuff or meth. Nicotine, definitely.

I wonder tho.. is it 'less addictive' because it's generally sh!te over here?

For a lot, of course the scenario painted above doesn't apply to lots of folks. Keeping it for the odd nights or gigs or whatever. But some people.. they just always have it in then..

For a lot, of course the scenario painted above doesn't apply to lots of folks. Keeping it for the odd nights or gigs or whatever. But some people.. they just always have it in then..

I'm struggling with the less addictive, more addictive description.
    The last figure I heard for heroin in Ireland was between 10 and 20 per cent of those who try it become addicted with a figure of about 1 in 10 who become addicted eventually becoming completely drug free and even that's hard to measure.

I work with homeless addicts and you are correct saying its generally regarded as **** , that in itself leads to poly drug use .

• Advertisement

Agreed. But most coke addicts tend to be freebasing the pipe like they do the "ghetto". You are into crack addiction then, different ballgame and in the states crack is a lot cheaper than here.

Most coke over here is mixed with synthethic substitutes like novacaine or procaine. They lash in other steroids also like ephadrine etc. Only big dealers get access to stronger mixes, so when you think about it they would be the only ones susceptible to a proper addiction if they were dabbling.

For sure if you have the spends you could do a lot of coke, but more often than not given the price you will be getting a wake up call from your bank balance, party over. If you are a total clown you might start getting some on tick, but I am not so sure that makes you a coke junckie as apart from being someone who has no qualms about getting into debt with some unsavoury drug dealers, you are asking for it long term. But dealers will not give out free drugs, they will only give you coke on the tick if they want you in their pocket. They will always know that they can get the cash out of you also. If you get there it might be time to seek help, but these cases are much rarer than the hype.

Agreed. But most coke addicts tend to be freebasing the pipe like they do the "ghetto". You are into crack addiction then, different ballgame and in the states crack is a lot cheaper than here.

Most coke over here is mixed with synthethic substitutes like novacaine or procaine. They lash in other steroids also like ephadrine etc. Only big dealers get access to stronger mixes, so when you think about it they would be the only ones susceptible to a proper addiction if they were dabbling.

For sure if you have the spends you could do a lot of coke, but more often than not given the price you will be getting a wake up call from your bank balance, party over. If you are a total clown you might start getting some on tick, but I am not so sure that makes you a coke junckie as apart from being someone who has no qualms about getting into debt with some unsavoury drug dealers, you are asking for it long term. But dealers will not give out free drugs, they will only give you coke on the tick if they want you in their pocket. They will always know that they can get the cash out of you also. If you get there it might be time to seek help, but these cases are much rarer than the hype.

There's a bit of a difference between freebasing cocaine and crack.
    Its unusual for anyone to even attempt to free freebase cocaine.

There's a bit of a difference between freebasing cocaine and crack.
    Its unusual for anyone to even attempt to free freebase cocaine.

Great, and it is not really that common over here as far as I know.

Do you come across many meth users in your work?

As in methamphetamine users ? No.
    A few years ago it appeared and was popular with eastern Europeans mostly outside Dublin. I can actually remember a specific conversation with one user about it .

Freebasing cocaine is historical now , it was superseded by crack because its preparation was so dangerous.

• Advertisement

I would watch that space. Very easy to ingest, a lighter and a pipe.

I have tried it a few times, very very nice.

I am well able to put things down, but it could easily be an issue for users down the line.

I would watch that space. Very easy to ingest, a lighter and a pipe.

I have tried it a few times, very very nice.

I am well able to put things down, but it could easily be an issue for users down the line.

Crack ?

I'm struggling with the less addictive, more addictive description.
    The last figure I heard for heroin in Ireland was between 10 and 20 per cent of those who try it become addicted with a figure of about 1 in 10 who become addicted eventually becoming completely drug free and even that's hard to measure.

I work with homeless addicts and you are correct saying its generally regarded as **** , that in itself leads to poly drug use .

Ye, I agree re the 'addictiveness'. I guess (and correct me if I'm wrong here) it's down to people. Not saying there are addictive personalities per se, but people with issues that they are trying to escape from. In that case doesn't matter too much the drug, you just want to not deal with sh.t. if that's cheap vodka, smoking weed, valium (or 'valium' these days) or wherever.

Freebasing cocaine is historical now , it was superseded by crack because its preparation was so dangerous.

Presumably because of the unknown crapshoot of what actually is cocaine and what's sold as cocaine? IE often just a dangerous and expensive experiment?

Ye, I agree re the 'addictiveness'. I guess (and correct me if I'm wrong here) it's down to people. Not saying there are addictive personalities per se, but people with issues that they are trying to escape from. In that case doesn't matter too much the drug, you just want to not deal with sh.t. if that's cheap vodka, smoking weed, valium (or 'valium' these days) or wherever.

More vulnerable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Vestiapx wrote: »
    The whole powder v freebase coke thing in America is crazy. There are actually films made to discuss it. End of the day it's a person's both and their right to I jest what ever they want. Clearly they should not operate machinery etc while under the influence but in their own time I really don't get the judgement.

spoken like a true addict

Crack ?

no, meth.

Although I did crack in the states years ago.

Presumably because of the unknown crapshoot of what actually is cocaine and what's sold as cocaine? IE often just a dangerous and expensive experiment?

I cant remember the chemical, but originally in the States addicts used try burn off the impurities by mixing it with a flammable chemical and heating it often ended up with injuries.
    Crack replaced this practice, crack is still relatively new.

no, meth.

Although I did crack in the states years ago.

Well there ya go , even working in drug services I met very few acknowledging meth use.

Well there ya go , even working in drug services I met very few acknowledging meth use.

Meth is much stronger than coke, up to about 8-9 times the amount of endorphin release once ingested. A very strong beautiful feeling of pleasure that lasts a good half hour at least. It will also keep you awake for hours. But highly addictive by all accounts and having dabbled with it I could see why.

• Advertisement
Advertisement