Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Long do Power Supplies Last....(Typically)

Options
  • 29-08-2020 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭

Quick one lads,

I am currently building a new rig and I am taking some parts from my current rig to keep the costs down and also as they are working 100%.

My question is this, I have a Coolermaster Real Power 1000w that I am going to be using and it has never missed a beat but it is 10yrs old!!!

Would it be okay to use in my new rig or would you get a new one? Would it do more harm then good if it was not as efficient as when new.....Also if I do decide to get a new PSu I think a lower wattage would be better (I got this is a sale when I was getting my last rig) Something like the Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold.

Its going to be powering a Ryzen 9 and hopefully a RTX30xx series card.

This is the model I have....
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/coolermaster-real-power-1000w-modular-power-supply-ca-146-cm.html

Thanx in Advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Yes, 100% replace.

The PSU is outside its warranty window (5 years), doesn't have 80 Plus certification, and conforms to the older ATX12V 2.3 spec (current is ATX12V 2.4).

An 850W unit is practically the same price as 750W, I'd overbuy as the RTX 3000-series looks to be power-hungry.

Also check the bargain alerts thread for an Ryzen 9-3900 deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Ahh ****, I bow to your superior knowledge K.O. Real shame that as it a super PSu.

Can you recommend a good PSu, Seasonic, EVGA and Corsair seem to be the oine most people drool over. I did see a nice Thermaltake with an RGB fan, I like a little bit of bling I does.

So you recommend an 850w at least...?

As long as it's got a 10 year warranty it should be fine: https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=gehps&xf=1119_4~2825_10~360_800&sort=p&hloc=uk&v=e

I'm recommending 850W as your CPU can draw 200-250W, and RTX 3000 are rumoured to have 350W TDP.

RGB on the PSU is pointless, as you don't even see the thing in most cases :pac:

I think this will fit the bill nicely, its in my price range and its in stock more to the point.....My case has a PSu mesh shroud so if I do get an RGB fan on the PSu it will be seen (but its by no means a deal breaker)

https://www.caseking.de/en/thermaltake-toughpower-gf1-a-rgb-80-plus-gold-netzteil-vollmodular-850-watt-neth-064.html

2nd choice.

https://www.caseking.de/en/corsair-rmx-series-2018-rm850x-netzteil-850-watt-weiss-necs-128.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Yes, 100% replace.

The PSU is outside its warranty window (5 years), doesn't have 80 Plus certification, and conforms to the older ATX12V 2.3 spec (current is ATX12V 2.4).

An 850W unit is practically the same price as 750W, I'd overbuy as the RTX 3000-series looks to be power-hungry.

Also check the bargain alerts thread for an Ryzen 9-3900 deal.
    Why would being outside of warranty affect you using a psu unless your a business? Buy a cheap psu tester to check the basics of the psu and see if its okay if your really worried about it.
    With spec 2.3 why would that matter, unless I'm mistaken its only efficiency changes between that and 2.4?
    As far as I'm aware, I would only consider upgrading when they start building psu's in the future without non 12v lines otherwise this psu would be fine for any build now??
    Maybe I'm just missing something though?

• Advertisement

deceit wrote: »
    Why would being outside of warranty affect you using a psu unless your a business? Buy a cheap psu tester to check the basics of the psu and see if its okay if your really worried about it.
    With spec 2.3 why would that matter, unless I'm mistaken its only efficiency changes between that and 2.4?
    As far as I'm aware, I would only consider upgrading when they start building psu's in the future without non 12v lines otherwise this psu would be fine for any build now??
    Maybe I'm just missing something though?

I don't like the idea of trusting a grand's worth of equipment to a PSU that is out-of-warranty.
    Additionally, getting a Gold/Platinum-certified device makes sense for high-wattage use.

80plus.jpg
    600W @ 92% efficiency = 652W draw
    600W @ 80% efficiency = 750W draw

100W difference (assuming the old PSU conforms to 80Plus and hasn't degraded).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I don't like the idea of trusting a grand's worth of equipment to a PSU that is out-of-warranty.
    Additionally, getting a Gold/Platinum-certified device makes sense for high-wattage use.

80plus.jpg

Once its been built with high quality parts I wouldn't be worried at all and being that it will spend a lot of its time idling most likely I wouldn't worry as much about power draw, its highly unlikely you would save the cost outlay of the psu in electricity before you look to get another.
    If your using the psu at full 600w for 8hrs a day 365 days a year for 3 years you might come close to the cost of a psu.
    In 3 years time you would be looking to upgrade again as the 12v only psu's should be out by then.
    IMHO you are better off just holding onto what you have until the new 12v only standard that EU and others are forcing on us comes into place, that actually has a larger impact on power usage than psu's today.

Decided to air on the side of caution and ordered the Thermaltake toughpower 850w with the 80 Gold Standard. More then likely the older one would have worked okay but K.O made me put my tinfoil hat on and get all paranoid!!!!

But it was very old and why skimp on one of the most important parts of the build tbh, and If I wanna sell my older machine I would have to have bought a PSu for that in anyway.

Many thanx for all the input lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    [...] but K.O made me put my tinfoil hat on and get all paranoid!!!!

I don't think it's paranoia, but rather common sense and peace of mind.
    Like buying insurance, to protect an investment.

PSu arrived today, 1st thing I noticed is the sheer weight of it. I thought my Coolermaster 1000w PSu was heavy......

Still very well packaged and 10yr warranty with 80 Plus Gold seem like a good choice.

Will try to stick up a few pics later, my flickr account is gone arseways lately.

• Advertisement

Use IMGUR

[URL="[img]https://i.imgur.com/MzV5OQfl.jpg[/img]"]MzV5OQfl.jpg[/URL]

[URL="[img]https://i.imgur.com/viI2pfSl.jpg[/img]"]viI2pfSl.jpg[/URL]

And a blast from the past....can anyone name the ATI card? Even if they all looked alike....

[URL="[img]https://i.imgur.com/nUGkUaql.jpg[/img]"]nUGkUaql.jpg[/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

80plus.jpg

Those figures are for fully/optimally loaded PSUs. Nobody actually does that in practice.

10yrs is past the bathtub curve. As long as the fan bearings/bushings are OK its fine for use, replacement was a total waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Just seen this thread now. I also have a Coolermaster PSU from 10 years ago and it worked flawless throughout those years and it's still in use as I gave my old PC to my nephew as I purchased a new PC a few months ago with new PSU not that there was anything wrong with old. New is always nice even if it only happens every 10 years. Mad to think I had a system that lasted 10 years.

ED E wrote: »
    Those figures are for fully/optimally loaded PSUs. Nobody actually does that in practice.

10yrs is past the bathtub curve. As long as the fan bearings/bushings are OK its fine for use, replacement was a total waste.

Thats just it....assuming the bearings/bushings are OK. How can the lay (stupid) man like myself possibly know.

As the saying goes, assumption is the mother of all fcuk ups!

I mean its a meaty Ryzen 9 build and now going to have a RTX3080...I deffo think a new PSu was not a waste. But I get where you are coming from.

;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

I had Dell one last 13 months they wanted 90 for the part I bought one one ebay but had to stick it upside down as Dell parts are none standard a few months later the hard drive failed

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Coyler

Just had my 6 month old TX650M die with a load bang the other day. Getting it RMAed but having to pay for shipping sticks in my craw. Thankfully happened to have a spare PSU as I was half planning on having another machine. It's a another Corsair PSU, CX550M, so you'll understand if I'm a little wary. Still, doing grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I have a 12 year old Corsair HX620 PSU. It's a re-badged Seasonic unit that achieved very high performance when it was released all the way back in 2006.

It's powered about 4/5 different systems for me over the last decade. I'm not actively using it anymore but rather keep it around for troubleshooting since I did get a DOA PSU once.

However, it did power my current system (3700X & 5700XT) from 2019 for a week or so just fine with lots of heavy gaming. I have no reason to believe there wouldn't be many more years of life left in it.

Get a high quality unit with good performance and you might get a decade or more out of it. Some PSUs actually come with 10 year warranties now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Coyler

If it matters, getting my TX650M with it's 7 year warranty replaced was fairly straight forward in the end. It's considered as an top tier PSU so I'll put it down as just bad luck but consistent with early failures for any hardware. The customer support was very good though even if having to pay shipping (€30) was a pain.

The other take away is it failed without taking anything else with it. Another reason to spend a bit of money on your PSU.

Sorry to hear that m8, but as you said if it had taken other components with it Id say it would be an absolute nightmare trying to claim of the manufacturer!

• Advertisement
Advertisement