Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How America Went Nuts

Options

Comments

Bambi wrote: »
    For a civil war, the levels of violence are strangely low and mostly consists of one side going bat**** insane and wrecking its own cities.

Mostly its just Trumps presidency has caused a lot of his opponents to lose their minds, I'd imagine the average American is sick of them at this stage

People focus on Trump too much.... most of these problems were there before he gained the Presidency. At the end of Obama's term, a significant portion of the American people didn't trust the Federal government to effectively do it's job. Trust was at an all time low. And that was before Trump was added to the mix. I think people have conveniently forgotten that the US was pretty screwed up before Trump got involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

begbysback wrote: »
    A country originating from genocide, where military grade weapons are the norm, sun hot enough in places to make a man crazy, where the largest using population of cocaine resides yet prescription addicts vastly outnumber non prescription addicts, where mental health issues seem rampant, and where the objective of political parties and the voting public seems to be to provide as much entertainment to the rest of the world as possible.

It’s a fcukin mystery how it’s falling apart.
    Nearly all countries orinaget from colonialism whether it was 200 years ago or 2000. Military grade weapons are not available in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Nearly all countries orinaget from colonialism whether it was 200 years ago or 2000. Military grade weapons are not available in the US.

What's an AR-15?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

People focus on Trump too much.... most of these problems were there before he gained the Presidency. At the end of Obama's term, a significant portion of the American people didn't trust the Federal government to effectively do it's job. Trust was at an all time low. And that was before Trump was added to the mix. I think people have conveniently forgotten that the US was pretty screwed up before Trump got involved.

What you're missing is the Democratic party and the media went full retard and hitched their wagon to whatever brand of crazy was rolling through town so long as they thought it would damage Trump. A lot of the Democrats are probably now realising that pseudo gangs like BLM are a genie that they can't put back in the bottle when it suits them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Dempo1 wrote: »
    America has long been a tinderbox, I lived and worked in baltimore, maryland 2006/2009. Even back then it was obvious looking from outside in, racial, economic & societal tensions were simmering. Racial segregation (mainly out of choice) was the norm with clear and absolute Black and white areas. The economic segregation was also beyond appalling and to this day I've never seen such contrasts in wealth an abject poverty ( I've been to 3rd World countries) and the poverty I witnessed in one of America" s largest cities was shocking, particularly homelessness. Socially its a very segregated country also, extremely materialistic, its all about what and how much you have and you never, ever want to fall on hard times.

Trump was never to answer but I can see how such a lunatic could get elected and what's scary, he coukd get reelected. Americans, thankfully have very limited memory & loyalty so it may actually just be their shallowness and "me first mentality" that will oust Trump, not because they are horrified but because they just might be affected by his horrendous stupidity.

In reality its not actually Trump who's caused such a collapse of American society, its actually sensible and pragmatic presidents, Clinton, Obama, maybe Bush Senior who failed to see were American society was going.

I would go back to Reagan to see where the rot really started to set in. He (or his administration, really) was selling the country out, looking out for big-business and Wall St and putting the boot into the working class, at the same time Thatcher was following suit in Britain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Nonsense, Diversity is Strength.

That's why South Africa is much richer and safer than Japan.

(keep in mind that South Africa is one of the richest countries in natural resources while Japan being one the poorest)

Bambi wrote: »
    the Democratic party and the media went full retard

This is the most appropriate description of what happened that I've seen..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TowerofBabel

American for the OP’s information has always been nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

I highly recommend Kurt Anderson's Fantasyland for anyone interested in how America has gone insane. The article looks quite good. I'll give it a read now.

Of course. Can't have dear leader and the party being questioned, now can we?

I think the environment of where such a creature can be elected deserves greater scrutiny than to assume his removal removes all ills

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

This times 100. I don’t think it’s convenient at all, willful ignorance of the kind the dear leader is accused of ironically.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

He either doesn't understand or deliberately misinterpreted the writings of Baudrillard, Laing and Pynchon to support his argument. They are diagnosticians of a capitalist consumerist society gone insane, not cheerleaders for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Yes, even the reference to Trumpism is mystifying. There is no Trump idealogy that justifies a label. Trump capitalised on the alienation and distrust people had for US institutions but he didn't create it. US politicians and media have been sowing dragons teeth for decades, and lo and behold they got a full grown dragon.

The US is a diverse, low trust society with political polarization baked into the cake. Biden isnt going to somehow reverse it. If anything it may accelerate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Trumps only problem has been his lack of discipline with social media. It would have served him better to reign in his opinions on a number of occasions.

However, the issues are less about personality and more about character, values and policies. On each of them he is on point.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭SnazzyPig

A very serious incident indeed and is being reported on heavily and rightly so.

Pity we don't see the destruction, rhetoric and violence from the other side shown so widely too. One lovely man was up on stage talking about "sending police officers to the grave" and "burning down the white house ". The police union building was yet again set on fire. Pity we dont see that reported in the media too isnt it.
    For a fair picture

Did you witness these incidents yourself or did you hear about them through the media?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

People focus on Trump too much.... most of these problems were there before he gained the Presidency
    He's a handy bogeyman. A focus for rage and frustration. But with him gone, all the problems will remain as they are an awfully long time in the making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

Every person on the planet can believe what they want. It doesn't mean everyone will agree with what you believe.

This is nonsense. What the article obviously means is 'I have met people who don't agree with me and that is not right. Everyone should agree with my beliefs!'

God Bless America!!

The apotheosis of the enlightenment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Hoboo wrote: »
    What's an AR-15?

It's a civilian rifle. Not usually used by the military as it is semi-automatic and the military prefer either burst fire or fully automatic firearms. You can actually licence an AR15 here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭hgfj

Das Reich wrote: »
    That's why South Africa is much richer and safer than Japan.

South Africa safer than Japan? Really?

https://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Japan/South-Africa/Crime

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Of course. Can't have dear leader and the party being questioned, now can we?

Boiling down everything that's wrong to a single person (who, notwithstanding possessing the position of commander in chief, has been in office for less than four years), is always going to be a gross oversimplification. Though the writer ascribed urgency to getting rid of Donald Trump, COVID-19 has already seen to that. Therefore having 12,787 words to the effect of 'Trump is bad' would appear to be a bit of a waste of everyone's time.

Taking a cursory look over it, it seems to be suggesting that a lack of truth within media is a significant thing. The first and foremost way to attempt to remedy this is non-partisanship of the media. Therefore the article itself would appear to work against its own purported motive.

Though if time is no object, and you don't mind hearing what you have already probably heard before, albeit presented in perhaps a more coherent and cogent manner, knock yourself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Please everyone stop talking about "the US" or "the Americans"

What we're talking about here is a bunch of radical left looters and rioters using any excuse under the sun to burn, loot ,steal, tear down and indeed murder in cold blood in some cases. That rabble does not equate to the ordinary American.

WE have them here too remember the radical left assaulted some guy on O'Connell street few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

SnazzyPig wrote: »
    Did you witness these incidents yourself or did you hear about them through the media?

Twitter videos from people who were there. The media dont report both sides.
    You've seen videos posted on forums before that weren't on the news . If we all just got our information from the media we will never see both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

radical left

I don't think that term is useful.

I think it's actually a meaningless term.

A lot of people believe there should be reform in the police in America. I agree with this (though strictly speaking it's none of my business). There are also looters who piggyback on protests broadly related to this. Looters don't really have a political persuasion at all: they are interested in looting (and if they can steal some expensive items for themselves, all the better). Dignifying them with a political position (even with the qualifier of 'radical') is misplaced in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Hellotonever

BattleCorp wrote: »
    It's a civilian rifle. Not usually used by the military as it is semi-automatic and the military prefer either burst fire or fully automatic firearms. You can actually licence an AR15 here in Ireland.

Thats a retarded take and let me explain why. AR - 15 is explicitly the CIVILIAN VERSION of a RIFLE. Meaning of course the military isnt going to use it. AR 15 doesn't mean certain requirements (Price, tolerances, attachment capabilities) but that doesn't mean it doesnt kill as fast as the 'MILITARY' Version.

What you're saying is, .223 is perfectly safe because its not used by the military. When in reality, it will kill you as fast as a 5.56. Because its the same round with different specifications.

In the same way an AR-15 will kill you as fast as these:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-15_style_rifle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Dempo1 wrote: »
    America has long been a tinderbox, I lived and worked in baltimore, maryland 2006/2009. Even back then it was obvious looking from outside in, racial, economic & societal tensions were simmering. Racial segregation (mainly out of choice) was the norm with clear and absolute Black and white areas. The economic segregation was also beyond appalling and to this day I've never seen such contrasts in wealth an abject poverty ( I've been to 3rd World countries) and the poverty I witnessed in one of America" s largest cities was shocking, particularly homelessness. Socially its a very segregated country also, extremely materialistic, its all about what and how much you have and you never, ever want to fall on hard times.

Trump was never to answer but I can see how such a lunatic could get elected and what's scary, he coukd get reelected. Americans, thankfully have very limited memory & loyalty so it may actually just be their shallowness and "me first mentality" that will oust Trump, not because they are horrified but because they just might be affected by his horrendous stupidity.

In reality its not actually Trump who's caused such a collapse of American society, its actually sensible and pragmatic presidents, Clinton, Obama, maybe Bush Senior who failed to see were American society was going.

To be fair, There's really no surprise that Baltimore had so much poverty.

America I've found (especially living in Georgia and visiting the Deep South) is at the extreme ends of things. When I went there, I was shocked at how many cities in Alabama and Georgia looked as bad as the ones in my native-born African country.

But the best parts of America (specifically L.A., New York, Boston) look better than Dublin or even London.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

I don't think that term is useful.

I think it's actually a meaningless term.

A lot of people believe there should be reform in the police in America. I agree with this (though strictly speaking it's none of my business). There are also looters who piggyback on protests broadly related to this. Looters don't really have a political persuasion at all: they are interested in looting (and if they can steal some expensive items for themselves, all the better). Dignifying them with a political position (even with the qualifier of 'radical') is misplaced in my opinion.

But they do have a political opinion. And it is far to the left. To ignore that fact is to put ones head in the sand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Hellotonever

But they do have a political opinion. And it is far to the left. To ignore that fact is to put ones head in the sand.

Really? Are they scholars of Marx?

More than likely a bunch of criminals taking advantage of current social unrest. I doubt any of them even know what seizing the means of production means.

The most political label you can give these people is Lumpenproletariat.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumpenproletariat

hgfj wrote: »

Haha, I assumed he was being sarcastic.. I can't tell anymore. /sigh.

SA is an absolute mess. especially with their focus on reverse racism. I guess that's what we might see happening in the US eventually. The minorities gaining power with the ambition of punishing the whites for 'history'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭briany

He's a handy bogeyman. A focus for rage and frustration. But with him gone, all the problems will remain as they are an awfully long time in the making.

And the problems facing the USA are only mounting with Trump in office as he actively promotes bitter division, seeing it as an election tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Really? Are they scholars of Marx?

More than likely a bunch of criminals taking advantage of current social unrest. I doubt any of them even know what seizing the means of production means.

The most political label you can give these people is Lumpenproletariat.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumpenproletariat

"We are trained Marxists" BLM founder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdpIIiBe7Wc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

Bambi wrote:
    "We are trained Marxists" BLM founder

This won't end well for them. Americans hate the 'Commies!'

Advertisement