Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How America Went Nuts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Thats a retarded take and let me explain why. AR - 15 is explicitly the CIVILIAN VERSION of a RIFLE. Meaning of course the military isnt going to use it. AR 15 doesn't mean certain requirements (Price, tolerances, attachment capabilities) but that doesn't mean it doesnt kill as fast as the 'MILITARY' Version.

What you're saying is, .223 is perfectly safe because its not used by the military. When in reality, it will kill you as fast as a 5.56. Because its the same round with different specifications.

In the same way an AR-15 will kill you as fast as these:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-15_style_rifle

So, what I said was a fact. Thanks.

And please point out where I said a .223 is perfectly safe. It's not perfectly safe. It has to be in the hands of a law abiding citizen to be safe, the same as any other gun.

Look, I know a lot about guns. I own several. One of which is an AR15 that can shoot both .223 and 5.56 as it's known as a .223 Wilde. You clearly learned what you learned from a quick google of Wikipedia.

A .223 and a 5.56 are more or less the same round, except in laymans terms the 5.56 has more power. Basically there's more powder inside the round. There's slightly more to it such as neck angle etc. but the pressure that the 5.56 releases is the significant difference. An AR15 doesn't shoot any faster (rounds per minute) with a .223 or a 5.56 but the 5.56 bullet travels faster if that makes sense. Civilians can have AR15's in .223 or in 5.56, or in my case both in the one gun.

Also, the AR15 is a semi-automatic. While it can kill you very fast, it is nowhere near as fast as a fully automatic firearm so to suggest that it kills you just as fast as a fully auto military rifle is just pure stupid.

And lastly, the AR15 is a modular rifle. In other words, it can be assembled from parts from different suppliers. Your argument that it's not good enough for the military because of price/tolerance etc. you can build an AR15 on a budget or you can get one made from far far superior parts when compared to a military firearm (apart from the full auto capability that is). Milspec parts are not far from the bottom of the ladder.

briany wrote: »
    And the problems facing the USA are only mounting with Trump in office as he actively promotes bitter division, seeing it as an election tactic.

Hardly. Race issues have been progressively increasing since before Obama's time in office. It's just coming out now while Trump is in office. Those divisions were there before Trump arrived on the scene, and they would have come out regardless of who was in office instead of him.

To put it simply, race issues were ignored in the hopes that they would be someone else's problem.. Obama made slight moves towards acknowledging the problems, but did very little to resolve them, instead, passing it on.. The poverty, lack of investment, the inequalities have been part of US society for a rather long time, and the bitterness has been rising substantially since Hurricane Katrina.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Hoboo wrote: »
    What's an AR-15?

That is a family of rifles and can mean a lot of things. Commonly used for hunting but are demonised because they look a battlefield weapon. They are sometimes used by civilians in Ireland. You cant buy automatics in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

I didn't read it but let me guess ....

ORANGE MAN BAD

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Plode

Hardly. Race issues have been progressively increasing since before Obama's time in office. It's just coming out now while Trump is in office. Those divisions were there before Trump arrived on the scene, and they would have come out regardless of who was in office instead of him.

To put it simply, race issues were ignored in the hopes that they would be someone else's problem.. Obama made slight moves towards acknowledging the problems, but did very little to resolve them, instead, passing it on.. The poverty, lack of investment, the inequalities have been part of US society for a rather long time, and the bitterness has been rising substantially since Hurricane Katrina.

Yes, they've been there for decades. But Trump could have done so much more to calm his country down and bring people together, like a proper president would. Instead he appears to revel in the chaos.

ORANGE MAN BAD

If everyone at the party says you're drunk, it's time to call it a night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

ORANGE MAN BAD

The only thing worse than the repetitive orange man bad rethoric is the people who think Biden will actually fix anything.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Well, technically, military grade weapons are available in the US. The M9 sidearm is sold in the civilian world as the Beretta FS92, the M1 bayonet can be bought without any hassle, etc....

Military grade rifles and machineguns are also available, even tanks and artillery pieces. They are, however, heavily restricted and cost five-figure dollar values.

If the only concern is the size of the round, it's worth noting that .223 has plenty of civilian application, except deer hunting in most states, as it's not considered lethal enough, you need something bigger, and .223 and 5.56mm are commonly found rounds in civilian use world-wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Dont worry, Joe Biden, a man who has been involved in government for 50 years is now going to break the habit of a lifetime and fix America.

Plode wrote: »
    Yes, they've been there for decades. But Trump could have done so much more to calm his country down and bring people together, like a proper president would. Instead he appears to revel in the chaos.

Sure, he could. He could have continued the cycle of lies, misinformation, and identity politics pitting one side against another to keep their attention diverted. Oh wait, he did! Just like previous presidents. But, yeah, he could have done "more". (whatever that means). I guess he could have been like Obama, by pandering to the minority groups but not actually doing anything. Shame on him for pandering to the majority, rather than the minorities. Damn, I guess "heads or tails" didn't work for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Also, the AR15 is a semi-automatic. While it can kill you very fast, it is nowhere near as fast as a fully automatic firearm so to suggest that it kills you just as fast as a fully auto military rifle is just pure stupid.

What would be the time difference between someone being murdered by a AR15 versus a fully automatic military rifle? Like would they have time for one last cup of coffee and a cigarette if their killer was so kind to only use a semi automatic weapon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Regardless of all the detailed and extensive gun knowledge of ex-US/living in the US boards posters, the fact that joe bloggs in at least some places in the US can buy the likes of "AR-15s" with few questions asked and then parade around waving his/her toy during the US's now frequent protests about all sorts of stuff big and small does appear quite deranged to most Irish people. Don't think I'd be going out on a limb by saying that. I suppose I just do not understand freedom and democracy. :(

Phoebas wrote: »
    A very serious 'incident' you'd agree? And not an isolated one either.

It is isolated. It's the only one - and there is strong evidence it was self defence. He didn't cross state lines, he worked nearby as a lifeguard. The whole gun culture is another story - the fact remains it is legal in the US to walk round with a semi automatic rifle to protect yourself or property.

Meanwhile at least 30 people have been killed as a result of the protests. One of them seems to have been a Trump supporter last night. None of the deaths so far are anything to do with white supremacy. They ARE to do with the fear of state governors to restore law and order, so now it's a criminal's paradise.

And let's remember who the original group were who didn't accept the results of the 2016 election - preferring wild conspiracy theories about Russia somehow winning the election for Trump, instead of looking at the failures of their own campaign.

Also the way everyone had to stay home otherwise they were "killing Grandma" yet when the BLM protests kicked off, they were somehow immune.

Cities like Chicago are no go zones at night now.
    As of July 5, 2020, at least 30 people have died during the protests, with 26 due to gunshot wounds

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violence_and_controversies_during_the_George_Floyd_protests#Deaths

None of this is a defence of Trump; but blaming everything on Trump is factually incorrect.

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Regardless of all the detailed and extensive gun knowledge of ex-US/living in the US boards posters, the fact that joe bloggs in at least some places in the US can buy the likes of "AR-15s" with few questions asked and then parade around waving his/her toy during the US's now frequent protests about all sorts of stuff big and small does appear quite deranged to most Irish people. Don't think I'd be going out on a limb by saying that. I suppose I just do not understand freedom and democracy. :(

I agree. I also think that rioters and looters can burn down whole neighbourhoods while governors stand by or in some cases even support them seems equally deranged to most Irish people - or at least it does to me. If you are living in these areas, paying taxes and generally trying to go about your life, I think you would find it hard to support anyone other than Trump and the Republicans in November. The Democrats aren't your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Muahahaha wrote: »
    What would be the time difference between someone being murdered by a AR15 versus a fully automatic military rifle? Like would they have time for one last cup of coffee and a cigarette if their killer was so kind to only use a semi automatic weapon?

T'wud want to be one very swift cup of coffee and a cigarette for sure.

I'm always very appreciative any time I'm murdered with a semi-auto rifle. Seems so much more humane than being murdered with a fully-auto military rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Sand wrote: »
    The more diverse the USA gets, the more politically divided and violent it appears to get. No one could have predicted this.
    It's neighbour to the north is about as if not even more diverse, and considerably more calm and less politically divided, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

I highly recommend Kurt Anderson's Fantasyland for anyone interested in how America has gone insane. The article looks quite good. I'll give it a read now.

Of course. Can't have dear leader and the party being questioned, now can we?

Blaming Trump for things that have been going for decades is as ridiculous as Biden suddenly being able to fix America's problems after being in politics for 50 years.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Blaming Trump for things that have been going for decades is as ridiculous as Biden suddenly being able to fix America's problems after being in politics for 50 years.

America wasn't in a great place in 2016, to be sure. However where it has gone since then is a lot darker, and about the opposite of Trump's claim that "I alone can fix this."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

The current unrest in America is a direct result of Trump aggravating the situation, his failure to address the problems bringing them about and an indifference to the problems.

Trump is the president and its happening on his watch, yet he undermines and blames everyone else. This type of unrest was always inevitable, but instead of leading and addressing the issues, Trump keeps throwing fuel on the fire.

Biden is no angel but I believe if elected he will get a handle on it and at least come across as a democratic leader, not an autocrat.

If re-elected I believe the situation will deteriorate in the states, while Trump and his ilk get richer. Trump is treating the US as a cash cow and milking it for all he is worth, meanwhile the rich will keep on getting richer and the divide between classes will get even bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I agree. I also think that rioters and looters can burn down whole neighbourhoods while governors stand by or in some cases even support them seems equally deranged to most Irish people - or at least it does to me. If you are living in these areas, paying taxes and generally trying to go about your life, I think you would find it hard to support anyone other than Trump and the Republicans in November. The Democrats aren't your friend.

That was an irrelevant party political broadcast for Donald Trump/Republican party. Unlike many others here (it seems) I can't vote in the US election.
    Neither of (your) parties are my friend, but I think Biden looks less likely to have bad effects on Ireland (or the rest of the world) so hopefully he will win.
    I don't presume to know exactly what is going on in "these areas" as regards the extent of unrest and its affect on ordinary people.

edit:
    I don't think Donald Trump/the Republican party have the answers to the problem (unless maybe it is calling on an overwhelming use of force to scare protestors off the streets for good + follow up with resources of intelligence agencies to identify their networks, families, associates etc and jail/crack down on them using charges of subversion/"domestic terrorism" and the like, similar to what would have happened by now in the more authoritarian countries which Trump admires I think).

fly_agaric wrote: »
    That was an irrelevant party political broadcast for Donald Trump/Republican party. Unlike many others here (it seems) I can't vote in the US election.
    Neither of (your) parties are my friend, but I think Biden looks less likely to have bad effects on Ireland (or the rest of the world) so hopefully he will win.
    I don't presume to know exactly what is going on in "these areas" as regards the extent of unrest and its affect on ordinary people.

This is another elephant in the room, as Trump's presidency has severely diminished foreign trust in the US, and it's soft power and influence globally. As much as I am not a huge fan of the US historically, there is no doubt that it is preferential to China being the major global power which is a process that has accelerated considerably under Trump due to his alienating so many other nations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The riots are going on now. Buildings are being burned.

It's not Trump supporters doing it either

Plenty of Trump supporters getting involved in violence, it just doesn't make the news because Biden isn't pushing it

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1297273725939675136?s=20

https://twitter.com/shane_burley1/status/1297253088063926272?s=20

https://twitter.com/TheRealCoryElia/status/1299908378810957825?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Foxtrol wrote: »

Not the snack van!!
    They nearly pushed it half an inch. Omg

Meanwhile BLM rioters are wrecking everything in sight for months

The Shane burley tweet is especially interesting given that police are trying to label facemasks as 'shields' when those protesting the unequal treatment of people by police, yet when Patriot Prayer, Proud Boys, and other far right antagonistic groups carry actual shields, those same police don't seem to have much of any issue with it.

The Shane burley tweet is especially interesting given that police are trying to label facemasks as 'shields' when those protesting the unequal treatment of people by police, yet when Patriot Prayer, Proud Boys, and other far right antagonistic groups carry actual shields, those same police don't seem to have much of any issue with it.

Those groups aren't wrecking everything in sight, setting buildings on fire and attacking police.

They aren't attacking innocent people from behind either

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned another tragic aspect of the U.S., the taste of food there.

I used to eat hotdogs their and once I got so sick, I threw up. It wasn't because of any food poisoning but the smell and taste of the food was horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Trump, one if the most hated men in America, was brought to you by Hilary Clinton, also one of the most hated men in America!

Looks like one side starting it every time with bully boy strength in numbers tactics.
    The other side then proceed to beat the living jesus out of them

https://www.facebook.com/PTAMERICA2020/videos/641608723365643/

It's a crazy place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

OU812 wrote: »
    America is on the brink of a 2nd civil war. Trump is laying the groundwork now in the event of his (probable) loss in this year’s election, for the local militias to band together.

If he does lose, there’ll be major riots, shootings, lawlessness and localised uprisings. He’s given them all the belief that the election will be “rigged” and that he won’t respect the result and neither should they.

Yes yes orange man bad.

You do realise it's far left loopers doing the rioting, looting and burning down buildings right.

But yeah Trump something something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Jizique

Looks like one side starting it every time with bully boy strength in numbers tactics.
    The other side then proceed to beat the living jesus out of them

https://www.facebook.com/PTAMERICA2020/videos/641608723365643/

It's a crazy place

Looks like it was removed - what was it?

• Advertisement

Jizique wrote: »
    Looks like it was removed - what was it?

I can still see it.
    I was a 9 minute compilation of antifa heads squaring up to counter protesters/people trying to go to work/normal people and then getting the shīt kicked out of them.
    One chap used a skillet as a weapon. Twas entertaining enough. They certainly asked for it.

It's still up. Don't know why link won't work. Try Facebook then search "president Trumps America " then click videos tab
    Video is titled "Antifa getting owned"

Advertisement