Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should people who dont follow guidelines lose their jobs/welfare

Options
  • 29-08-2020 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

With all the virtue signalling, everyone in the public eye who doesnt follow guidleines is losing their jobs.

Should this be extended to people on low profile normal jobs?
    What about the lowlifes you see on the Dart not wearing masks? By the same logic they should be losing their dole money?

Phil Hogan may be a jackass, but its a big loss to Ireland, and his behaviour is no worse then huge swathes of our population.

Is it a case that successful people should know better than us common folk?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Definitely, humans who are forced to change their ways by poverty, always behave rationally, and change their behaviours accordingly!

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭rtron

Pkiernan wrote: »
    With all the virtue signalling, everyone in the public eye who doesnt follow guidleines is losing their jobs.

What about the lowlifes you see on the Dart not wearing masks? By the same logic they should be losing their dole money?

Phil Hogan may be a jackass, but its a big loss to Ireland, and his behaviour is no worse then huge swathes of our population.

You make good point op. Successful people such as Hogan and Calleary should know better. What's more they should also receive fines of 2500 for not adhering to the guidelines like us normal folk. I think a fine of 2500 to a person on the dole will eat in to their retirement fund.

rtron wrote:
    You make good point op. Successful people such as Hogan and Calleary should know better. What's more they should also receive fines of 2500 for not adhering to the guidelines like us normal folk. I think a fine of 2500 to a person on the dole will eat in to their retirement fund.

So people on the dole generally have a couple of grand sitting around?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    So people on the dole generally have a couple of grand sitting around?

If they don't they may face jail.

rtron wrote:
    If they don't they may face jail.

And incarceration is the cheaper option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Nobody who doesn't follow 'guidelines' should lose anything. It's a guideline; it's not a law.

If something is enshrined in law then punish them as the law requires; not in the court of public opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Electronic Writer

If those lowlifes on the Dart were given the choice of a free mask , which , let's " face " it , pardon the pun , would be a proper suggestion from Dart station authorities , or , they wouldn't get into the station , even more of them would do what is asked .

What's fifty cents in the new covid19 world ?

And , the public purse could pay for it by checking for valid tickets from well to do fare dodgers in suits.

Pardon , thieves in suits !

Probably not. But these are the penalties that were put in place to surpress the virus and maintain public safety.
    If it's not working then we have bigger problems than Hogan and Calleary.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

People cancelling other people are contemptible.
    People make mistakes and there is no need to try to kill their career over it.

Remember that what you do unto others today may just be used against you tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

my mileage makes phil hogans look miniscule, it's funny watching the amazement of some people at the fact he can do 5 counties in one day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

rtron wrote: »

Callery lost his job as minister because he should have known better.
    He was part of the cabinet that created the guidelines but immediately broke them.
    That was fairly cut and dried.

Hogan was more of a witch hunt.

He broke the guidelines by being at the dinner, no different than someone being at a house party if you ask me.
    But because he was high profile people dug deeper, and found that he had broken guidelines more than once in the previous weeks, no different than someone going to multiple house parties if you ask me.

But because he was high profile he had to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭LeBash

If thats the way you want to go, everyone has a PPS number, and you could take x per week off it.

Yeah, that'll never happen though. Serious criminals don't go to prison often, so i don't see that happen.

rtron wrote: »
    Probably not. But these are the penalties that were put in place to surpress the virus and maintain public safety.
    If it's not working then we have bigger problems than Hogan and Calleary.

so it could potentially cost the taxpayer more, and its unclear if it will prevent people from braking the rules....

do we need to rethink this approach? :confused:

LeBash wrote: »
    If thats the way you want to go, everyone has a PPS number, and you could take x per week off it.

Yeah, that'll never happen though. Serious criminals don't go to prison often, so i don't see that happen.

would this really resolve the issue, or further complicated it?

does incarceration actually work in preventing crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Try enforcing rules/legislation. For example, a Garda spots somebody breaking the rules. The person is either compliant and hands over personal details requested or is not compliant. There are many ways to be non compliant. 1. F you, civil liberties blah, blah. Stand off, back up called. 2. A runner. Legs it. Garda may or may not capture the person. 3. Violent reaction - we all know how that can go. Then there's the process through the judiciary etc. The amount of time and resources needed to enforce measures against civil disobedience may not be worth it unless it pays for itself. You would need a stasi type operation were thousands of snitches and enforcement agents prosecuted these measures. I can't see that happening in this country. No appetite for it

Try enforcing rules/legislation. For example, a Garda spots somebody breaking the rules. The person is either compliant and hands over personal details requested or is not compliant. There are many ways to be non compliant. 1. F you, civil liberties blah, blah. Stand off, back up called. 2. A runner. Legs it. Garda may or may not capture the person. 3. Violent reaction - we all know how that can go. Then there's the process through the judiciary etc. The amount of time and resources needed to enforce measures against civil disobedience may not be worth it unless it pays for itself. You would need a stasi type operation were thousands of snitches and enforcement agents prosecuted these measures. I can't see that happening in this country. No appetite for it

im sure it would cost the tax payer little or nothing to do all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I brought the kids on the Dart into the Natural History Museum.

Unfortunately some utter filth boarded at Killester with no masks, generally acting the maggot.
    What should their punishment be?

Otherwise decent people are getting fired, dirtbags face no consequences, and these animals are more likely to have Covid!

I brought the kids on the Dart into the Natural History Museum.

Unfortunately some utter filth boarded at Killester with no masks, generally acting the maggot.
    What should their punishment be?

Otherwise decent people are getting fired, dirtbags face no consequences, and these animals are more likely to have Covid!

no clue, but maybe it would be a good idea if we started by not calling them 'lowlifes'!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

How about just chucking them off the train at the next station? Or nor letting them on the train to begin with? Employ a few inspectors to walk the platform/carriages. We could do with them even without covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

no clue, but maybe it would be a good idea if we started by not calling them 'lowlifes'!

In case it hurts their feelings? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

In case it hurts their feelings? :rolleyes:

or maybe its just fcuking ignorance, shouldnt you be busy with your campaign?

or maybe its just fcuking ignorance, shouldnt you be busy with your campaign?

I have people to do that for me.

Do you think those people on the DART might not be aware of this whole "corona" thing? I mean, it is fairly new and not a whole lot of people would have noticed anything about it. You'd think the authorities or media might have some items on the news about it or something the odd time so that people aren't ignorant of it!

I have people to do that for me.

Do you think those people on the DART might not be aware of this whole "corona" thing? I mean, it is fairly new and not a whole lot of people would have noticed anything about it. You'd think they might have some items on the news about it or something the odd time.

fair play

sadly some people are extremely unaware of the dangers of the virus, ive seen this myself in the autism community, id imagine others, with other complex issues are similar

fair play

sadly some people are extremely unaware of the dangers of the virus, ive seen this myself in the autism community, id imagine others, with other complex issues are similar

Oh of course. If someone has other issues then there should be some exceptions or understanding given. There are plenty of people though who should know better and could easily behave but instead just spout out "my doctor etc." when confronted. I think that those are the people who are insulting to the genuine cases.

That poster appeared to be painting a picture of someone with just bad manners/attitude

What really pisses me off with people in general is when they are badly behaved for little things with minimal actual benefit to themselves and which would take almost zero effort to be a bit more respectful. The classic example I can always think of is the person at the bus stop either smoking a cigarette or eating something and the bus comes so the butt/wrapper gets dropped on the ground. Despite the queue for the bus passing a bin.

Oh of course. If someone has other issues then there should be some exceptions or understanding given. There are plenty of people though who should know better and could easily behave but instead just spout out "my doctor etc." when confronted. I think that those are the people who are insulting to the genuine cases.

That poster appeared to be painting a picture of someone with just bad manners/attitude

but what if we dont know what the story is with others, many of these issues are in fact undiagnosed, even the person involved maybe unaware of their issues

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If some people refuse to cower and obey the diktats brought in through Project Fear, they need to be sent for immediate re-education at special camps we set up for the purpose.

If some people refuse to cower and obey the diktats brought in through Project Fear, they need to be sent for immediate re-education at special camps we set up for the purpose.

For some reason, this reminds me of the fella who was videoing himself licking toilet seats when corona first appeared and then caught it himself and videoed himself crying about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

They were lowlifes.
    One of them appeared to be arranging a cocaine deal loudly on his phone

Still, maybe he's a misunderstood most-vulnerable...
    Let's give him more dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

For some reason, this reminds me of the fella who was videoing himself licking toilet seats when corona first appeared and then caught it himself and videoed himself crying about it.

Yes, good, excellent! Anxiety levels increasing...must....comply!!!

• Advertisement

They were lowlifes.
    One of them appeared to be arranging a cocaine deal loudly on his phone

Still, maybe he's a misunderstood most-vulnerable...
    Let's give him more dole.

what do you actually mean by this statement? why do people turn to drug dealing?

throwing a few quid at people, doesnt solve their issues!

Advertisement