Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should people who dont follow guidelines lose their jobs/welfare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    you implied low income people couldnt be expected to comply

nope, i didnt

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

In some ways we only pay welfare because it's cheaper than maintaining an even larger prison system and police force. The cost of peace. It doesn't deter all crime but prevents a good deal of crimes of desperation that would otherwise be rampant. There's plenty scamming it/taking advantage and even some we pay for who you'd happily see starve but in a more harsh environment these types would be more desperate and likely more violent so to a certain degree you have to just hold your nose and get on with it.

how then was crime much lower sixty years ago despite money (including welfare ) being much scarcer ?

the view that we must continue lavishing people with largesse in case they do harm is absolutely bankrupt in terms of setting precedents and encouraging good citizenship , it expresses a horrible lack of faith in people too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Eventually they will fine you or incarcerate you for not getting chipped. It is only a matter of time.

We are all being farmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Eventually they will fine you or incarcerate you for not getting chipped. It is only a matter of time.

We are all being farmed.

Username checks out.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    if we start locking up a sh1te load of people, i suspect many taxpayers are gonna be concerned about the potential increase in their taxes, in order to facilitate these actions

We already lock up a lot of people. Cost shouldn't be a factor in Justice

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    how then was crime much lower sixty years ago despite money (including welfare ) being much scarcer ?

the view that we must continue lavishing people with largesse in case they do harm is absolutely bankrupt in terms of setting precedents and encouraging good citizenship , it expresses a horrible lack of faith in people too

crime is extremely complex, its virtually impossible to compare different generations for many reasons, including crime.

say wha! so offering them this 'large' amount of money and others things, 'free' houses etc, is causing them to behave badly, or something?
    We already lock up a lot of people. Cost shouldn't be a factor in Justice

any suggestions how we could reduce, or better, abolish the cost factors of justice?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

For all you know, they have a disability which means they are recommended not to mask.

But that's irrelevant. At the moment, public transport is only supposed to be used for journeys which are "absolutely necessary". You shouldn't have been there for a totally unnecessary jaunt to the museum. You should be fined as much as the non mask-wearer..

I'll quit my job right away.

That'll be 62000 euro less in tax for Revenue...i believe that pays for dole for 6 people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Pkiernan wrote: »
    With all the virtue signalling, everyone in the public eye who doesnt follow guidleines is losing their jobs.

Should this be extended to people on low profile normal jobs?
    What about the lowlifes you see on the Dart not wearing masks? By the same logic they should be losing their dole money?

Phil Hogan may be a jackass, but its a big loss to Ireland, and his behaviour is no worse then huge swathes of our population.

Is it a case that successful people should know better than us common folk?

Do you pull the lad off yourself imagining various scenarios where people have their welfare taken away?

That'll be 62000 euro less in tax for Revenue...i believe that pays for dole for 6 people.

maybe you could scam the dole of 6 peoples worth, claiming all your taxes back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Electronic Writer

...and i thought i come up with some weird sh1t, being a lefty!

Are you a lefty , weird sh1t ? Do you mean , weird g1ck ?

• Advertisement

Are you a lefty , weird sh1t ? Do you mean , weird g1ck ?

no no weird sh1t

so it could potentially cost the taxpayer more, and its unclear if it will prevent people from braking the rules....

do we need to rethink this approach? :confused:

Would righty , not so lefty , have you believe taxpayers pay for everything , when all they pay is their tax.

People on the dole get paid from public funds .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

With the protests going on around the world, misinformation and conspiracy theories coming over from the USA (Unbelievably Irish people are believing Republican/GOP propaganda about HSE Universal Healthcare death panels and communism) restrictions will just have to be dropped now and we’ll just have to try to cope with a massive wave of infection and potentially a high number of deaths.

The alternative is civil unrest and rioting that could go on for months. We will not be able to contain this virus and closing the stable door whilst the horse has long bolted Is only going to make it worse. People are already suffering from lockdown fatigue.

Special thanks to the meat producers, covidiots, Trumptards, the Irish freedom party, brexiteers, Trumptards, Golfgate, National Party, Gemtrails.

We are bent over a barrel here unfortunately

Trumptards was mentioned twice on purpose

Would righty , not so lefty , have you believe taxpayers pay for everything , when all they pay is their tax.

ah shur most citizens pay taxes including the unemployed, but to be fair to workers, most , if not all are getting shafted, in many ways, and the fire sectors have a lot to answer for also

IAMAMORON wrote: »

yeh.

any suggestions how we could reduce, or better, abolish the cost factors of justice?

Give judges free dinners in Galway , sorry McDonalds.

no , that €62000 pays your tax bill.

I went into a shop and paid €10 for call credit.

Shopowner went for lunch and spent €10 on a sambo.

Sambo shop owner went on holiday and bought a pint and bag of crisps.

What else did I pay for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

So you earn around 130k a year and you're crying about people on the dole?

Talk about entitled.

Poor bastard, he was robbed, should have asked his local deco, they're always good at 'aquiring' these things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

no , that €62000 pays your tax bill.

I went into a shop and paid €10 for call credit.

Sambo shop owner went on holiday and bought a pint and bag of crisps.

What else did I pay for ?

So the shop owner didn't pay tax on the 10 euro?

• Advertisement

What exactly do public funds consist of ?

What exactly do public funds consist of ?

All monies collected on behalf of the Irish people.

All monies collected on behalf of the Irish people.

You mean VAT, excise, income tax, stamp duty, motor tax, property tax, corporation tax etc. In other words, taxation.

Limit legal aid payments.

Stop welfare completely when inside. At the moment it's only after 2 weeks

Take fines at source. Start at 10% and work up. If the continue to recieven fines, bye bye dole

Evict continued anti social behavior without rehoming. I'm not an ogre, let's say 3 times rehoused and your done

Maximum payment under both child benefit and single parent. Capped at I dunno, 4 kids? That's higher than most families

Have a start likes 3 strikes. Not the severe but say, ten? Keeping them inside to do a sentence would be cheaper than housing and feeding them on the outside old the cost of their revolving door court appearance

So the shop owner didn't pay tax on the 10 euro?

Is that rhetorical? Recursively , is this ?

So, twas the easiest example to demonstrate the principle that I only paid for the call credit, nothing more , only that.

Some may think they pay their tax and are entitled having the money spent on whatever they choose in preference to whatever is good for everybody, they aren't. LLLLLefty!

You mean VAT, excise, income tax, stamp duty, motor tax, property tax, corporation tax etc. In other words, taxation.

Taxation is the source of income rather than the terminology for the asset of the peoples' wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

This govt would be over if they threatened BOTH people on welfare and those who have jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,984 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Travelling to your job is absolutely necessary. It may have even been essential.

Travelling to take your kids to the museum is not at all necessary.

If you're earning enough to be paying 62k in tax, then I expect you know the difference. I am also ... surprised ... if you are catching public transport to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

my mileage makes phil hogans look miniscule, it's funny watching the amazement of some people at the fact he can do 5 counties in one day

I do 6 in a day regularly

• Advertisement

I do 6 in a day regularly

Santa Claus was audited and found to have done 32 in one day. Unbelievable as it seems, he did only claim to have done it on one particular day.

Advertisement