Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheel question

Options
  • 29-08-2020 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭

I have a 2018 Cannondale Supersix disc. It came with Mavic Aksiums and I'd like to upgrade. The front wheel is a 12mm Thru axle and the rear is a standard 135mm QR.

So, question is, do I have to buy seperate wheels or are there axle adaptors I can use?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's a weird design decision for them to make. is it common?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Trekker09

I haven't come across it before and I originally thought that maybe my bike was a factory build mistake by using the wrong fork and rear drop outs, but I've read the spec and reviews and it's part of the S6 Disc design. I'm hoping that there's a simple remedy as I can't see a company like Cannondale limiting the upgrade potential for a best selling bike so blatantly

https://road.cc/content/review/210635-cannondale-supersix-evo-disc-ultegra

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Trekker09 wrote: »
    I have a 2018 Cannondale Supersix disc. It came with Mavic Aksiums and I'd like to upgrade. The front wheel is a 12mm Thru axle and the rear is a standard 135mm QR.

So, question is, do I have to buy seperate wheels or are there axle adaptors I can use?

You can buy some wheelsets in this configuration, or you can buy a set with both wheels at , say, 12mm and buy separate adapters for the rear. If you go to sites like Mantel or Bike24, you can filter the wheels based on axle configuration. Alternatively, firms like Hunt or Scribe can set the wheels up before shipping.

Just be aware - some hubs like DT Swiss have a myriad of different QR adapters ( not supplied - you have to purchase them separately) and picking the right one is a royal PITA. The Mavic rear adapters are much more straightforward.

You can buy some wheelsets in this configuration, or you can buy a set with both wheels at , say, 12mm and buy separate adapters for the rear. If you go to sites like Mantel or Bike24, you can filter the wheels based on axle configuration. Alternatively, firms like Hunt or Scribe can set the wheels up before shipping.

Just be aware - some hubs like DT Swiss have a myriad of different QR adapters ( not supplied - you have to purchase them separately) and picking the right one is a royal PITA. The Mavic rear adapters are much more straightforward.

Thanks, I had a brief look on the Hunt website but didn't look at the configurations yet. I'll do some more research as I want to see if there are any downsides to adaptors.
    So, if I was to buy a set of 12mm thru axle wheels I could get an adaptor for the rear QR? I'm sure it's not compatible the other way round by buying a set of QR wheels? I need to do my homework!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Trekker09 wrote: »
    Thanks, I had a brief look on the Hunt website but didn't look at the configurations yet. I'll do some more research as I want to see if there are any downsides to adaptors.
    So, if I was to buy a set of 12mm thru axle wheels I could get an adaptor for the rear QR? I'm sure it's not compatible the other way round by buying a set of QR wheels? I need to do my homework!

I’ve the same bike, and same problem when shopping for wheels

I’ve had wheels from Prime in the past which come with all the adapters, they take QR out of the box, swapping the front axles end cap is a 2 minute job. I’d imagine the hunt wheels are the same idea!

If you’ve any questions, feel free to PM me!

• Advertisement

Deano12345 wrote: »
    I’ve the same bike, and same problem when shopping for wheels

I’ve had wheels from Prime in the past which come with all the adapters, they take QR out of the box, swapping the front axles end cap is a 2 minute job. I’d imagine the hunt wheels are the same idea!

If you’ve any questions, feel free to PM me!

Brilliant, thanks a mill! I've had the bike a while and didn't even notice till I got a reverse Eureka moment :D It's a smashing bike as is, even with the Aksiums, so I can imagine what it'd be like with a decent set of hoops! I've always wanted one as I love the simplicity of the frame.
    It did have a rattle that annoyed me no end and I (wrongfully) diagnosed it as loose front brake pads. Bled the system and new pads and rattle still there. My Tourettes kicked in and the Mrs said 'check the bottle cages':mad: Yup, she was right!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

You see it on a number of low end trek mtbs I can't understand the reasoning at all seems stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

cannondale used to do this on quite a few bikes , my 2019 synapse has thru axles front and back (that frame came out end of 2018) the old one didnt

new supersix came out this year it has thru axles front and rear

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

cannondale used to do this on quite a few bikes , my 2019 synapse has thru axles front and back (that frame came out end of 2018) the old one didnt

new supersix came out this year it has thru axles front and rear

When they started doing disc bikes they seemed to have odd configurations. The old CAAD12 disc even had a post mount older style front disc brake, and a rear flat mount caliper

When they started doing disc bikes they seemed to have odd configurations. The old CAAD12 disc even had a post mount older style front disc brake, and a rear flat mount caliper

Trump blatantly refutes that suggestion!

• Advertisement
Advertisement