Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Alarm system recommendation

Options
  • 29-08-2020 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

Hi,

We recently moved into our new home and want to install a new alarm system in the house. Currently there's a panel at the front door which is not functioning at all.

We have a bedroom downstairs and a large dog who will move around at night as he sleeps downstairs.

Can you recommend a company to install a new system for our needs ?

- someone sleeping downstairs which may use the toilet overnight
    - a dog downstairs moving around throughout the night
    - also needs to include a CCTV system for the front of the house and back garden

I'm really clueless at these things. Ideally I'd like to get an reputable company to do all the work for us rather than DIY. I've heard about Phonewatch, ADT but not much else.

Thanks
    Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

RobertM wrote: »
    Hi,

We recently moved into our new home and want to install a new alarm system in the house. Currently there's a panel at the front door which is not functioning at all.

We have a bedroom downstairs and a large dog who will move around at night as he sleeps downstairs.

Can you recommend a company to install a new system for our needs ?

- someone sleeping downstairs which may use the toilet overnight
    - a dog downstairs moving around throughout the night
    - also needs to include a CCTV system for the front of the house and back garden

I'm really clueless at these things. Ideally I'd like to get an reputable company to do all the work for us rather than DIY. I've heard about Phonewatch, ADT but not much else.

Thanks
    Rob

Firstly we are not allowed to recommend or advertise installers on this forum.

Your best bet is to go to the PSA.gov.ie website and source 3 local companies in your own area and get a written quotation from each outlining in the respective standards format the devices which they propose to install.

As regards your dog, that is not an issue and neither is the ability to move around the house at night with the alarm system on.
    It is only a matter of getting a perimeter type system fitted that will cover all your downstairs and vulnerable windows and doors

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭RobertM

Many thanks for the reply kub, I wasn't sure if it was possible having the alarm on overnight and also have someobe downstairs and a dog as well.

Just as a rough idea, would you be able to give me some sort of a price for an install ? We have a conservatory at the back that is just glass windows, the kitchen exit to the back garden, the bedroom downstairs, front door, living room windows and 4 beds upstairs.

Also it has been a couple of years since I have dealt with any camera system and not sure how they improved in quality wise. Would 1080p be sufficient nowadays or is 4k required for clarity ?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Joey321

Only issue I can see is with shock sensors on patio doors if dog hits the door they will activate the alarm, happens a lot in my estate,

Joey321 wrote: »
    Only issue I can see is with shock sensors on patio doors if dog hits the door they will activate the alarm, happens a lot in my estate,

What is today with dogs and alarm systems ðŸ˜.

Well I have been fitting them to such doors for the last 30 years and always advise householders to be aware of their dogs jumping against patio doors.
    If it is an issue then the sensitivity of the inertia sensors can be adjusted.

Exactly, but more time than not they are set too sensitive, just saying you need to take this into account when getting one installed

• Advertisement

Joey321 wrote: »
    Exactly, but more time than not they are set too sensitive, just saying you need to take this into account when getting one installed

All dogs do not do it though

Off course all dogs don't do it, but it's something you need to know if you have a dog.

Advertisement