Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hive

Options
  • 29-08-2020 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

I found a hive hanging from the ceiling in my shed and am wondering what's living inside? I really don't want to shake or tap it, or put anything into it. So I hope one of you knowledgeable folk may know what it is? It's the size of a golf ball, maybe a little smaller.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

wasps nest, probably only a single wasp there. i'd knock it off if i were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Joey321

+1 for knocking it off, problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Knock it off or put a bag over it and pull it down, as soon as possible . They can quickly grow to a large hive.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hammerdub

More than likely an old one as at this stage of the season wasps nests would be much bigger. Just knock it into a bucket of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I've a hole in my cavity block wall and there's a load of wasps going in and out. Initially it was nice to sit out there with a beer and watch them going about their business. Now I reckon there is somewhere between 30 and 70 wasps and im getting a little concerned they'll start getting aggressive.

Thoughts... leave them alone or flood them?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

I've a hole in my cavity block wall and there's a load of wasps going in and out. Initially it was nice to sit out there with a beer and watch them going about their business. Now I reckon there is somewhere between 30 and 70 wasps and im getting a little concerned they'll start getting aggressive.

Thoughts... leave them alone or flood them?

spray fly killer around the hole at night and on the wall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Thanks all for the replies. Hive is dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Blondie919 wrote:
    Thanks all for the replies. Hive is dealt with.

What did you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

What did you do?

Knocked it off. Nothing inside it. Didn't realise they were so paper-thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hammerdub

Spraying around cavity no use you need to spray directly into the hole that the wasps are entering best time to do this is in evening time when it's getting dark . You need to stay the best part of the can.

• Advertisement
Advertisement