Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What could happen if I don't give 84 days notice

Options
  • 29-08-2020 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

I'm in my current apartment 5 years. I think the current notice period is 84 days . What could the landlord do if I decide not to give this much notice. I am looking to move city and only have to give 1 months notice in work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Keep your deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭letsgo2018

Keep your deposit

I would be fine with giving him a months notice and keeping my deposit but thats still short of 84 days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I mean he/she will keep your deposit, or part of it. It depends on how easy it is for him to get someone else in, you’d be better off lifting the phone and explaining the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

He can't do anything.

All laws are stacked in favour of tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

letsgo2018 wrote: »
    I would be fine with giving him a months notice and keeping my deposit but thats still short of 84 days

Honestly can't understand why a renter wouldn't withhold their last months rent in lieu of an uncertain return on your deposit - though I guess it's different if you're relying on a reference from previous landlord. Doesn't sound like that's your scenario.

To answer your question, they can pursue you for the balance in Small Claims Court, but probably wouldn't for the sake of a month's rent. Might be trickier if you signed any form of Direct Debit mandate

• Advertisement
Advertisement