Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview

• 29-08-2020 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

This is probably a dumb question but we bought a Saorview Approved Toshiba TV recently and we are just setting this up now.

We have connected the TV to the aerial but when we search for channels it is coming up with no results.

I know we are probably missing a simple step but can anyone advise what we need to do?

Thanks and apologies in advance for asking a dumb question

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

Is this a rooftop aerial we're talking about? Does it or did it work for other TVs or boxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Munster Magic

Is this a rooftop aerial we're talking about? Does it or did it work for other TVs or boxes?

Sorry, yes it's a rooftop aerial and had worked on the TV for the previous tenant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Have you setup a location for it to scan under as tps could be different.

Sorry, yes it's a rooftop aerial and had worked on the TV for the previous tenant

There could be a masthead amplifier up at the aerial, & its indoor power supply might have been removed, or just unplugged. Take a look at the aerial cable & see if it's connected to a box with a power lead, before where it goes outside or into the wall.

There could be a masthead amplifier up at the aerial, & its indoor power supply might have been removed, or just unplugged. Take a look at the aerial cable & see if it's connected to a box with a power lead, before where it goes outside or into the wall.

There's no box. The cable just goes straight into the wall. We had to get an extension for it as it wasn't long enough to reach the TV but that shouldn't affect it should it?

• Advertisement

There's no box. The cable just goes straight into the wall ...

Take a look up at the aerial itself, & see if there are any boxes up there. (If there's more than one aerial, there would be a combiner too.)

Maybe post a pic, if you're not sure what's what.

You rechecked that the connection is good.

greasepalm wrote: »
    You rechecked that the connection is good.

Dumb question but how do I check that?

Take a look up at the aerial itself, & see if there are any boxes up there. (If there's more than one aerial, there would be a combiner too.)

Maybe post a pic, if you're not sure what's what.

Not there at the minute but will put a picture later. Thanks for all the help

Cable coming out of wall which is your aerial cable does the house also have a sat dish up there thinking it might have a diplexer fitted which is connecting sat and aerial combined into 1 feed cable and extracted the far end with another diplexer.

You said cable was joined to add more length is it an f connector like on sat,recheck outer and inner are not touching.
    You can join 2 f connectors cables with a joiner for a better signal as better than rf joiners.

• Advertisement

Cable coming out of wall which is your aerial cable does the house also have a sat dish up there thinking it might have a diplexer fitted which is connecting sat and aerial combined into 1 feed cable and extracted the far end with another diplexer.

You don't need a diplexer to 'extract' anything. If that's all that's missing, it wouldn't matter much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hi all,

This is probably a dumb question but we bought a Saorview Approved Toshiba TV recently and we are just setting this up now.

We have connected the TV to the aerial but when we search for channels it is coming up with no results.

I know we are probably missing a simple step but can anyone advise what we need to do?

Thanks and apologies in advance for asking a dumb question

Is it searching the correct frequencies for the transmitter your aerial is pointing to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Is it searching the correct frequencies for the transmitter your aerial is pointing to?

Sorry to jump on this thread but I'm having a similar problem. What is the correct frequency for Saorview? New LG smart TV, fails to detect any channels when scanning with an indoor aerial. The indoor aerial is connected to a power supply and the aerial works when used with a Saorview Connect box plugged into the same TV. I've no idea what I'm missing here.

Its an area thing as are you sure tv is for saorview and not freeview?
    Is the scanning mode set to dvb/c = cable or dvb/t/t2 =saorview?
    State your location might also help.

https://www.freetv.ie/digital-tv-aerial-selection-guide/

Its an area thing as are you sure tv is for saorview and not freeview?
    Is the scanning mode set to dvb/c = cable or dvb/t/t2 =saorview?
    State your location might also help.

https://www.freetv.ie/digital-tv-aerial-selection-guide/

Shortly after I posted it started working after like the tenth scan, ta. Seems weird that it scans immediate for the Saorview box but not for the TV.

But is the tv Saorview approved ?

But is the tv Saorview approved ?

Why would that matter?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

back to basics or bring your tv to friends house to eliminate aerial problems
    https://www.saorview.ie/changes/rescan

Uk and Ireland could use different settings.

Uk and Ireland could use different settings.

They don't, & I wouldn't worry one bit about Saorview approval.

• Advertisement

Aren't all TVs sold in Ireland now Saorview approved? If it turns out it's not, I'd be looking for a refund

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

AngryLips wrote: »
    Aren't all TVs sold in Ireland now Saorview approved? If it turns out it's not, I'd be looking for a refund

I thought they were :o

Now most are but if buying up north it may be freeview and that may need a different aerial.

Now most are but if buying up north it may be freeview and that may need a different aerial.

What has Freeview got to do with this thread? Any TV bought here or in the UK, or indeed anywhere in Europe will tune in Saorview, whether it has their approval or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Before I order an aerial, how can i find if my TV is Saorview? I don't see Saorview mentioned in the manual. The picture below is taken from the manual.

Screenshot-2020-10-24-at-16-00-41.png

if it is Saorview, will an indoor anteena like THIS work?

TV Model: Sony KD65XD9305 - Linky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,595 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

bbari wrote: »
    Before I order an aerial, how can i find if my TV is Saorview? I don't see Saorview mentioned in the manual. The picture below is taken from the manual.

if it is Saorview, will an indoor anteena like THIS work?

Post the make and model of the TV, someone will advise.

How an indoor aerial will work in your house will depend on how good the TV signal from the transmitter is where you locate the aerial, no one here will be able to say for sure.

The Cush wrote: »
    Post the make and model of the TV, someone will advise.

How an indoor aerial will work in your house will depend on how good the TV signal from the transmitter is where you locate the aerial, no one here will be able to say for sure.

Thanks. Added the model in the above post. I'm in Dublin and coverage site shows 28km distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭decor58

Thanks. Added the model in the above post. I'm in Dublin and coverage site shows 28km distance.

The spec for that tv refers to Freeview HD, in which case it will receive Saorview, an outdoor aerial is best but you might get away with an indoor type, even to put it in the attic.

decor58 wrote: »
    The spec for that tv refers to Freeview HD, in which case it will receive Saorview, an outdoor aerial is best but you might get away with an indoor type, even to put it in the attic.

Thank you for confirming that. From the pile of my cables I found an old RF/Antenna cable, connected the cable to the tv without anything on the other end, did the auto digital scan and 22 channels (10 TV and 12 Radio) channels found. The cable has to be on a certain spot on the floor to work! Signal quality wasn't the best (21%), I put the loose end of the cable outside and the signal quality improved to 51%. Surely thats because there isn't anything connected to the other end of the cable. Getting antenna in the attic isn't that easy. I assume even if i get an indoor antenna, I should get more channels including the UK?

• Advertisement

Thank you for confirming that. From the pile of my cables I found an old RF/Antenna cable, connected the cable to the tv without anything on the other end, did the auto digital scan and 22 channels (10 TV and 12 Radio) channels found. The cable has to be on a certain spot on the floor to work! Signal quality wasn't the best (21%), I put the loose end of the cable outside and the signal quality improved to 51%. Surely thats because there isn't anything connected to the other end of the cable. Getting antenna in the attic isn't that easy. I assume even if i get an indoor antenna, I should get more channels including the UK?

You won't get uk channels on an aerial in Dublin. You need to know which way the transmission is coming from for the aerial

Advertisement