Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Venus Flytrap - Dionaea

Options
  • 29-08-2020 10:07pm

Hi all,

Perhaps for the reason I want one*, every garden centre I've checked is out of Venus flytraps at the moment.

Does anyone know of a source of one or perhaps have one i could get a cutting of one?

*Reason: flies are really terrible this year. Tiny ones, they seem to be everywhere. While typing this, two have drowned in my whiskey.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

So bad news, they're rubbish for fruit flies, they're too small to trigger the hairs. In the kitchen we've a nepenthes, dionaea, sarracenia and a stray drosera growing in the venus flytrap pot. We've also got fruit files that love wine...

I'd suggest ringing around. We got our last one in a homebase, it needs splitting and potting on, and if you're in Limerick you could be in luck. Though usually I don't pot them on till the spring.

Tree wrote: »
    So bad news, they're rubbish for fruit flies, they're too small to trigger the hairs. In the kitchen we've a nepenthes, dionaea, sarracenia and a stray drosera growing in the venus flytrap pot. We've also got fruit files that love wine...

I'd suggest ringing around. We got our last one in a homebase, it needs splitting and potting on, and if you're in Limerick you could be in luck. Though usually I don't pot them on till the spring.

Thanks for the advice. I suspected this issue with them being so small was going to be a problem. I created a trap with apple cider vinegar covered by a spiders web and the damn things are too small, and keep getting through the webbing drinking the vinegar and flying away again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I mean, flytraps are fabulous plants, they just don't catch that many flies :)

Drosera are cool and a bit better at grabbing small flies. I put some next to a greenfly infestation and while they did great the greenflies were reproducing faster

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

irish flies don't seem to be attracted to them for some reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Do you you grow many pot plants in PEAT as those dam flies love them.
    Moth balls any good?

• Advertisement

greasepalm wrote: »
    Do you you grow many pot plants in PEAT as those dam flies love them.
    Moth balls any good?

Currently, just one or two.

Is this year a bad year for fruit flies as my dad has an infestation also?

Perhaps, damp warm weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

With the vinegar traps just put a drop (literally a drop) of washing up liquid into the vinegar , it breaks the surface tension and the fruit flies sink ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement