Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excel Name usage question

Options
  • 29-08-2020 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭

Firstly, I have very little knoledge using Excel formulas, so any replies will need to be based on the fact I'm not overly firmiliar with this stuff.

I have what appears to be a very simple BMI calculator Excel spreadsheet. It works fine by simply displaying one's BMI based on the input of both weight & height.

The result is displayed in a cell in figures.

Here's what I want to do.

I want to add a result column that will display a name based on the result.

The criteria for the name related to the result is as follows.

• Below 18.5 = Underweight
    • 18.5 to 24.9 = Normal
    • 25 to 29.9 = Overweight
    • Above 30 = Obese

So I want cells in the result column to display Underweight, Normal. Overweight or Obese depending on the figure in the BMI calculated cell.

Example of sheet:

81317e6293.jpg

In the above example the BMI is 26.5625 so I would want the result cell to display Overweight.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Firstly, I have very little knoledge using Excel formulas, so any replies will need to be based on the fact I'm not overly firmiliar with this stuff.

I have what appears to be a very simple BMI calculator Excel spreadsheet. It works fine by simply displaying one's BMI based on the input of both weight & height.

The result is displayed in a cell in figures.

Here's what I want to do.

I want to add a result column that will display a name based on the result.

The criteria for the name related to the result is as follows.

• Below 18.5 = Underweight
    • 18.5 to 24.9 = Normal
    • 25 to 29.9 = Overweight
    • Above 30 = Obese

So I want cells in the result column to display Underweight, Normal. Overweight or Obese depending on the figure in the BMI calculated cell.

Example of sheet:

81317e6293.jpg

You can use a nested if statement, Google for exact format but basically

If the cell <18, underweight and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Put the weight in cell A1
    Put this in cell B1
    =IF(A1<18.5,"Underweight",IF(AND(A1>=18.5,A1<=24.9),"Normal",IF(AND(A1>=25,A1<=29.9),"Overweight",IF(A1>=30,"Obese"))))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Just to avoid "underweight" in empty rows, could try tiny mod to same formula
    =IF(A2<>"",IF(A2<18.5,"Underweight",IF(AND(A2>=18.5,A2<=24.9),"Normal",IF(AND(A2>=25,A2<=29.9),"Overweight",IF(A2>=30,"Obese")))),"")

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Put the weight in cell A1
    Put this in cell B1
    =IF(A1<18.5,"Underweight",IF(AND(A1>=18.5,A1<=24.9),"Normal",IF(AND(A1>=25,A1<=29.9),"Overweight",IF(A1>=30,"Obese"))))
    Just to avoid "underweight" in empty rows, could try tiny mod to same formula
    =IF(A2<>"",IF(A2<18.5,"Underweight",IF(AND(A2>=18.5,A2<=24.9),"Normal",IF(AND(A2>=25,A2<=29.9),"Overweight",IF(A2>=30,"Obese")))),"")

Thank you both so much. This is really helpful ;)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement