Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best hospital to give birth in Dublin area

Options
  • 30-08-2020 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi,

Which hospital would you recommend?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Whichever one is closest to your job is handiest due to appointments. And parking is a factor if you need it! There are good and stories for all three. I had my babies in the Rotunda and couldn't fault them. My first pregnancy ended in miscarriage and I had an unpleasant experience with Holles Street so chose the Rotunda for my two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

I've heard good and bad about them all, for me it came down to location, I would have to drive past the Coombe to get to either of the other two.

Which do you think would be the fastest to reach from your home if your labour was progressing really quickly? Consider traffic and parking too. Parking at the Coombe is limited but lots of side streets nearby, some of which are free.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

OP, where is closest to you? There isn't really a better or best, especially in Dublin where you have a choice.The Coombe and Rotunda operate under the same "umbrella" I believe, there is a name on the group they belong to.(can't remember).I had 3 lovely births in the Rotunda, everyone has good or bad stories about all the hospitals.It is not really possible to recommend one above another, you have to take your own circumstances into account around when you would be attending appointments and where you are coming from and the like.All types of people attend all the hospitals, they are really all in buildings that are older and need to be upgraded, and the staff all do a really good job.

I don't mean to be rude, but it is very much personal choice for your circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

You'll hear people who sing the praises of all and others who won't set foot in one or another for very valid reasons.
    I went to Holles Street for location purposes as its close to work. I also wanted a particular consultant who works there as I was going private.
    I know other people who went elsewhere after their first pregnancy there for their own reasons. I had mainly good experiences there.
    There are minor differences in policy like induction days "allowed" over due date etc but tbh they can be challenged as a patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Best is subjective. For me the best was the rotunda because they offered the domino scheme in my area and I worked nearby. Standard of care shouldn’t differ too much between any of them. Location is something you should consider, it will become more important as the months go on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Kaldo

Connolly Hospital in Blanchardstown, does it also include maternity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Kaldo wrote: »
    Connolly Hospital in Blanchardstown, does it also include maternity?

The three Dublin maternity hospitals are the Coombe, Rotunda and Holles Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Kaldo

Do you know if there is any in co. Meath or co. Kildare?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

All the maternity hospitals in Ireland: https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/3/maternity/

Advertisement