Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leylandii advice

Options
  • 30-08-2020 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi all i have leylandii around back of my house that gon out of control in height and now looking try take down couple of feet is ok do this? I believe is ok cut back hard in height but not the sides? Could a hedge cutter with tractor be used take them down obviously don't want kill them. Any advice be great thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You can do that but they tend to look very ugly if you do a job like that on them.

My advice cut them down altogether and replace with something more suitable.

Get some advice from a professional as to what would suit your site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

While they are not ideal trees sometimes one wants to keep them for the privacy/shelter :)

My brother has a boundary of these with site next door, same issue way too tall etc, anyway he did get a guy with a tractor and the thing they use to cut the hedges at sides of roads (as far as I know that's what it was anyway, didn't see it) and he cut maybe 6 feet off the top of them. Yes they look ugly and flat topped but it's better than the oppressive height.

As mentioned you can't really cut back the sides other than trim the green or if you go into bare wood it won't regrow, having said that depending which way the sun is eventually the green bits from other side can grow out towards the light. I cut a length of about 15 feet of them flush against a wall as they were sticking out too far over the wall, now it has taken 10 yrs but that side is actually green again, it's not actually regrowing on the side that was cut but coming through from other side so much so that it needs trimming again each year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Trim them back as far as possible in both height and width as leaving green growth will allow now.
    This will at least allow you to maintain them at a manageable and aesthetic size which needs to be done once a year.
    Too many people ignore them after planting, then butcher them when they get out of hand, leaving an unsightly mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I'd get rid of them. Neighbours of mine topped theirs, it looks terrible even years after they did it.

Advertisement