Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roundup etc - bad?

Options
  • 30-08-2020 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Are those weedkillers like Roundup you read about that had the cases against them reasonably safe now, or same stuff, just be careful?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Same stuff but if used responsibly and with the proper safety equipment it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Its Glyphosate just a more dilute version. I wouldn't use it personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Good luck pulling weeds on your hands and knees. Glysophate has been in use for years. Care ful handling and protection needed as with all chemicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Our garden was neglected for years before we moved in. If I didn’t use a weed killer there is no hope I’d be able to get it under control.

If used properly they are pretty safe, and definitely better for your soil than a lot of homemade weedkillers

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

Great stuff so long as you don't care about bees and other pollinators or wildlife. Use plenty and add to the profits of some of the biggest polluters on this planet. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What are you using it for?

Roundup was marketed in combination with "roundup ready" crops , which meant both the crops and the weeds were treated, and the crops survived to be eaten. I wouldn't be mad about that particular use case of blanketting an area with it. And I don't put weedkillers on my own veg.

Otherwise, it breaks down in soil in water in around 12 days, so used with care it is absolutely fine. It should be used only on the leaves of growing plants , doesn't work as a pre-emergent or on roots.

Personally, I have one small bottle of roundup that's lasted me around 15 years and counting, I only use it on particularly stubborn brambles or ivy that appears from within an old stone wall that I don't particularly want to knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

pwurple wrote: »
    What are you using it for?

Otherwise, it breaks down in soil in water in around 12 days, so used with care it is absolutely fine. It should be used only on the leaves of growing plants , doesn't work as a pre-emergent or on roots.

Do you know anything that does work as a pre-emergent? I have a gravel area where weeds frequently pop out of! Despite membrane under the surface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I used to use Roundup on the driveway, footpaths and garden weeds when I wasn't aware of what it was. I switched to acetic acid weedkiller, great results works very fast and is easy to get. You can even get an organic brand if it matters to you. Roundup is not the only weedkiller out there!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    Despite membrane under the surface.
    from what little experience i've had of it, membrane is a con when it comes to weed control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    Do you know anything that does work as a pre-emergent? I have a gravel area where weeds frequently pop out of! Despite membrane under the surface.

Like anything, understanding the lifecycle more helps.

Exactly what plants are popping up?

Are they surface annuals, like bittercress, poppies etc, that are being dropped on your gravel by birds or the wind and germinating on the top layer? A rake of the surface every now and then will sort that out. Also, don't let the gravel get a layer of organic matter (like leaves ) on top, as this provides a growing medium.

If it's taprooted weeds, coming up from below the weed membrane, then light is getting through your gravel layer allowing them to grow. That means your gravel isn't deep enough and/or the perennial weeds were not treated before you laid it. Treat the growth, then make the layer deeper.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

strandroad wrote: »
    I used to use Roundup on the driveway, footpaths and garden weeds when I wasn't aware of what it was. I switched to acetic acid weedkiller, great results works very fast and is easy to get. You can even get an organic brand if it matters to you. Roundup is not the only weedkiller out there!

Have used acetic acid for an infestation of Mare's Tail......and although it had an overnight impact .....it did return some weeks after. How do you find it on hard surfaces.......any discolourment/lasting effect?

Grid. wrote: »
    Have used acetic acid for an infestation of Mare's Tail......and although it had an overnight impact .....it did return some weeks after. How do you find it on hard surfaces.......any discolourment/lasting effect?

I didn't notice any damage to be honest. I have a north facing corner with a concrete patio and I use it on any signs of greening or algae appearing there, clears them up immediately. I find that the weeds in the driveway or gravel paths are slower to come back in comparison to when I used Roundup. I don't usually have large weeds to kill so can't compare but for ongoing basic maintenance acetic acid seems very effective.

Acetic acid (vinegar) is a contact weedkiller. It’ll burn off the tops but won’t kill the roots.

kylith wrote: »
    Acetic acid (vinegar) is a contact weedkiller. It’ll burn off the tops but won’t kill the roots.

I'm aware, but I send the spray towards the base and it seems to be doing the job very well. For the driveway, paths or superficial weeds anyway, it did reduce my maintenance because it reduces small weeds to nothing in no time at all.

I can see how it might not kill large persistent specimens, unless you pour it down the root?

I'm aware, but I send the spray towards the base and it seems to be doing the job very well. For the driveway, paths or superficial weeds anyway, it did reduce my maintenance because it reduces small weeds to nothing in no time at all.

I can see how it might not kill large persistent specimens, unless you pour it down the root?

That’s not always feasible. Something like horsetail can have roots several feet deep.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

It can be successful on some perennials.....but yes, a systemic is necessary for more invasive species.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

pwurple wrote: »
    Like anything, understanding the lifecycle more helps.

Exactly what plants are popping up?

Are they surface annuals, like bittercress, poppies etc, that are being dropped on your gravel by birds or the wind and germinating on the top layer? A rake of the surface every now and then will sort that out. Also, don't let the gravel get a layer of organic matter (like leaves ) on top, as this provides a growing medium.

If it's taprooted weeds, coming up from below the weed membrane, then light is getting through your gravel layer allowing them to grow. That means your gravel isn't deep enough and/or the perennial weeds were not treated before you laid it. Treat the growth, then make the layer deeper.

Grass and some weeds that i don't know the name of (i'm a beginner).
    The membrane was put in by the landlord(i think). No idea how long it's there. But i dug under the gravel and there is loads of soil above the membrane!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

I mix the 2 of them seems to work on the driveway and paths . The acid serious job on the house like having it newly painted . Want to have all the protective gear on while doing it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

I sprayed insect spray pretty cancerous
    I wore n95 mask and gloves I should. Have used eye protection as well I would do the same for round up

Advertisement