Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do any careers still enjoy high social status in Ireland today?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It doesn't matter how many scandals there are - as long as politicians, solicitors, judges, doctors etc. earn (or are thought to earn) great money then their status will persist.

Professional bodies will see to it that the market is not flooded with new entrants, reducing status and incomes. If every third level institution linked up with a hospital and started offered accredited medical degrees, CAO points would drop as would status and money. That won't be allowed to happen.

In a skewed way, a "badass" professional or politician may actually have a higher social status than someone more "respectable".

How many scandals has Michael Lowry been involved in at this stage? How many times has he topped the poll?

The best way to judge a man's social status is to look at how women behave around him. Solicitors, doctors, rich publicans and niteclub owners, politicians, GAA stars etc. - generally up to their necks in p*ssy, no matter how much of an asshole they are.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    ..... politicians......... generally up to their necks in p*ssy.................

I don't think that's true, fair enough most are married but is that "up to their necks in p*ssy" :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Saying you work in IT automatically means that you can "fix" someone's computer..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Political Careers

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Doctor, Nurse, Emergency services, Teachers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

High-earning jobs in "Tech" MNCs and Aviation Leasing, and to a lesser extent Pharma MNCs, were the big newcomers to high social status in recent years. They had the very high salaries to buy the houses in desirable areas that the older professional elites are less and less able to afford.
    How that develops with things like Covid taking the wheels off Aviation Leasing and tax harmonisation challenging our FDI model is anyone's guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Why do People attach social status to employment. It’s an outdated notion.

Similarly I can’t understand why people tie their self worth and value ton heir own employment.

Employment is just a means to supply the lifestyle we want. If that’s digging a ditch or brain surgery doesn’t mean either person is better than the other.

Sooner we just see people as people and take them at face value the sooner society will be better for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Social Influencer.

sorry - did you mean real jobs? suscribers are the new currency baby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Doc07

BrianD3 wrote: »
    It doesn't matter how many scandals there are - as long as politicians, solicitors, judges, doctors etc. earn (or are thought to earn) great money then their status will persist.

Professional bodies will see to it that the market is not flooded with new entrants, reducing status and incomes. If every third level institution linked up with a hospital and started offered accredited medical degrees, CAO points would drop as would status and money. That won't be allowed to happen.

In a skewed way, a "badass" professional or politician may actually have a higher social status than someone more "respectable".

How many scandals has Michael Lowry been involved in at this stage? How many times has he topped the poll?

The best way to judge a man's social status is to look at how women behave around him. Solicitors, doctors, rich publicans and niteclub owners, politicians, GAA stars etc. - generally up to their necks in p*ssy, no matter how much of an asshole they are.

Be careful what you wish for. I’m as cynical as the next man but not everything in life is a cartel. Every hospital in Ireland fit for training medical students is already hooked up with a university. We have plenty of Med schools in Ireland. Seven on a small island is loads. Quantity definitely does not equal quality for Med schools.

I’m embarrassed to admit that the ‘up to your neck in pu&&y’ remark was probably accurate in the 00’s at least if you wanted to be

• Advertisement

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    It's great to see Irish people become more and more educated/qualified. Education is key to balancing social inequality imo.

+1 Its been a great leveller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Plus only recently we have seen Hazel Chu elected Lord Mayor of Dublin

Amusing that you'd regard that as an "achievement" - she got it as part as a deal that carved up the Mayoral gig between Fianna Fáil, the Greens, Labour and the Social Democrats. Top notch virtue signalling by the woke Greens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Eejit should have known that before he ever walked in the door.

There were people in school with me who just picked a bunch of random courses, what was important was they were TCD or wherever. No real thought put into anything beyond where was the most prestigious or where had the best nightlife.
    Most of those people don't work in anything even remotely related to what they're doing now, a lot of them changed courses or did another course later.

A lot of kids would be better off getting a job and having some fun before they decide what they want to do, they might make choices.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

kowloon wrote: »
    When I started Mech Eng in the introductory lecture thing the head of the course said 'I hope none of you think you're here to learn how to fix cars'. A guy got up and walked out and was never seen again.

I think we had a lecturer say the exact same thing in fairness. Nobody left in fairness. The next lecture was straight balls deep into material science. Everyone knew what they were really in for at that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

As long as you are not a straight white male you’ll do great these days
    Poster and thankers didn't do much thinking there. :D

Yes, that's riiiiiiight. No straight white males are doing well for themselves at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

When you tell someone you work in I.T. they worship you. men buy you drinks, women throw themselves at you. It's as if they know you are elevated above them with the mystical knowledge of the puter net thingy.

Traffic jams part in front of you to allow you to proceed on your vital work. Tolls are waived, speed limits are not enforced as they are for the mere plebs. Waiting in line becomes a thing of the past as people bow down and move aside with a wave of your access card. Ahhhh tis great to be king.

I wish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

if you are rolling in it and act like a dick or have a pole up your arse and act like you belong in every room ...you have high social status.

The more self entitled you are the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

If and when I get reincarnated on this earth I will have a go at becoming a wine buyer for a major multiple. Travelling to all the nicest parts of the world, testing the local wares and having the locals wine and dine you in an effort to sell you their plonk.

Well that is how I imagine the job to be and based on the only wine buyer I ever met who had a serious tan, the kind you get from long exposure to very pleasant climes.

soups05 wrote: »
    When you tell someone you work in I.T. they worship you. men buy you drinks, women throw themselves at you. It's as if they know you are elevated above them with the mystical knowledge of the puter net thingy.

Traffic jams part in front of you to allow you to proceed on your vital work. Tolls are waived, speed limits are not enforced as they are for the mere plebs. Waiting in line becomes a thing of the past as people bow down and move aside with a wave of your access card. Ahhhh tis great to be king.

I wish.
    yep shame really because virtually no modern company could exist without them.

If and when I get reincarnated on this earth I will have a go at becoming a wine buyer for a major multiple. Travelling to all the nicest parts of the world, testing the local wares and having the locals wine and dine you in an effort to sell you their plonk.

Well that is how I imagine the job to be and based on the only wine buyer I ever met who had a serious tan, the kind you get from long exposure to very pleasant climes.

PISS UP ON TOUR! :P

I know someone with a senior job like this. He's very successful but I'd be hard placed to think of anyone who has worked harder to earn what they have. The major multiples aren't giving free lunches away.

• Advertisement

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    I know someone with a senior job like this. He's very successful but I'd be hard placed to think of anyone who has worked harder to earn what they have. The major multiples aren't giving free lunches away.

Yes but he sounds like a seller TO the multiples which would be tough. I'm talking about being a wine buyer FOR a multiple i.e. you have the commercial power on your side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Eejit should have known that before he ever walked in the door.

Tbf most 18 year olds haven't a clue what they want to do. Most pick a course that appeals to them, and hope for the best. Theres a huge dropout/failure rate due to the lack of interest, but people sticking it out. Especially in stem.

I did CS and we had around 30 people graduate from a starting class of almost 90.

Lots of buyers have to do all the admin work to get the various stuff on the shelves too, liaise with artwork depts, launch dates etc etc .......... serious pain in the arse. It wouldn't be all sampling on the Riviera ............ most sampling might happen at HQ (the multiples) where the sellers send in the stuff also :)

Yes but he sounds like a seller TO the multiples which would be tough. I'm talking about being a wine buyer FOR a multiple i.e. you have the commercial power on your side.

The guy I'm talking about is a senior buyer, not seller, of food and drink for a major multiple. He seems to love it but it's a workload and level of pressure that most people couldn't take; and very few would have the talents that make him good at it.

Compared to people I know who lucked their way into well paid cushy numbers in other sectors he has very much had to earn his money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Nurses, doctors, ambulance drivers and those in the fire service are the people I would have most respect for regarding their choice of career.

And yet you insult them by calling them ambulance drivers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Anyone in the medical field is beyond criticism in Ireland. Particularly nurses.

+1

Don't get me wrong, they do a great job, but they get an inordinate amount of support whenever they claim the poor mouth, despite them being the 2nd or 3rd highest paid nurses in the OECD, whatever it is.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    There are bad apples in every profession. you are taking about a tiny number of bad apples.

Sssh -This is his outlet. It hurts nobody really.

Whereas if I went to my doctor with a cold and all I wanted was a sick note for work and for him to tell me what I already know, a bit of lemsip, vitamin C and some rest, I'm still getting charged that €60.

Is the irony of this lost on you?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Sac O Spuds

Publicans. Apparently according to their representative body they're the only crowd to dispense alcohol.

Augeo wrote: »
    Lots of buyers have to do all the admin work to get the various stuff on the shelves too, liaise with artwork depts, launch dates etc etc .......... serious pain in the arse. It wouldn't be all sampling on the Riviera ............ most sampling might happen at HQ (the multiples) where the sellers send in the stuff also :)

Ah I know! But this buyer I met once still obviously got out of the warehouse on enough trips to nice places to work up a serious tan so I will continue to dream.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Publicans. Apparently according to their representative body they're the only crowd to dispense alcohol.

Yeah, 50 years ago when you could only get alcohol from the publican, the pub was the only escape from 6 kids (pre garden shed) and they had the only 20" TV for 5 miles in any direction.

Now you can buy ANY amount or variety or volume of alcohol from your local supermarket. Almost everyone has the economic power to buy a 40" TV set. You can have sky sports as part of your internet package, and you have fewer rug rats to contend with. The more wealthier of us can convert the garage to a Sibin with 50" TV and a beer on draught, no closing time. The modern publican is about as much use as VHS recorder.

Advertisement