Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holly help. anyone?

Options
  • 30-08-2020 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

My holly trees have been dying for two years now and i cannot figure out what's going on. Ive posted here before but no one knew. I brought some samples to my local garden centre and they couldn't figure out what it is either. just had to cut loads of branches down today that have been bare for months and look disgusting. some pics of them below. any ideas anyone? :(

before the leaves off, they always got a light yellow, then brown and then fall. I can see loads starting to go yellow again now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Can you post a photo of the whole tree.
    One thing to look out for is how high on the trunk the surrounding soil comes. It should not cover any of the bark and you should see where the roots start. Many people mulch around trees and choke them slowly by raising it too high on the bark.

Also there seems to be a lot of damage to the tree but it is hard to judge from the photo. Could a lawnmower damage it?

Or rabbits?

Soil could be water logged or too dry. Very hard to tell without better photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Here are the three main ones. No rabbits or animals anywhere near it. have been here for decades with no issues until the last two or three years. i used to always blame the snow but its been so long since then and holly everywhere else seems okay..

Advertisement