Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do pharmacists have access to my previous medical records

• 30-08-2020 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Does anyone know do pharmacists in Ireland have access to my gp records or my previous prescriptions filled in the past with different pharmacies etc.
    I’m curious to what exactly they have access to when I hand them my prescription.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

No they only have access to previous scripts that you have presented to them. Maybe they have recorded yoir drug allergies. Thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 johntoc

Wesser wrote: »
    No they only have access to previous scripts that you have presented to them. Maybe they have recorded yoir drug allergies. Thats it.

Cool thanks for the reply.
    Do you know this for sure?
    Is there not a system that all pharmacists and gps use so everyone sees your prescription history etc?

johntoc wrote: »
    Is there not a system that all pharmacists and gps use so everyone sees your prescription history etc?

No there isn't. While one company in Ireland supplies software to 99% of pharmacies and doctors they aren't linked.
    There was an option for customers to consent to having their history shared across one chain of pharmacies, but it's only used in the UK and their electronic claims system and I'm not even sure that got fully the ground.

Wesser wrote: »

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Coming from someone who forged scripts before, the answer would be obviously no.

It definitely is a thing in the U.S. but mostly to keep track of opioid/benzo scripts.

• Advertisement

Actually I’m thinking of getting my next prescription through an online doc such as web doctor or myclinic.ie due to price €55 for my current gp which must be done over the phone or video call vs €25 for most online gps. Does my current gp see this record from the online gp?

johntoc wrote: »
    Actually I’m thinking of getting my next prescription through an online doc such as web doctor or myclinic.ie due to price €55 for my current gp which must be done over the phone or video call vs €25 for most online gps. Does my current gp see this record from the online gp?

No they won't.

But I must tell you that from using webdoctor.ie, there is a restriction on what a GP can prescribe on the internet. Don't know any specific law but you won't be given many things simply because they need to see you face to face.

Better go to a GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Coming from someone who forged scripts before, the answer would be obviously no.

It definitely is a thing in the U.S. but mostly to keep track of opioid/benzo scripts.

I'm very interested in how you did this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I thought pharmacies could look up your past/recent prescriptions? Or is that just for certain meds? eg codeine?

Whenever I took one in, they would check on the computer before filling it.

My GP elsewhere would give me a 3 month set of scrips and once when was new to the island and knew the weather was about to cut us off I asked a pharmacy who knew me for the next one early. and they said yes as they knew how hard it was for me to get there . So they looked it up then on the computer.

Graces7 wrote: »
    I thought pharmacies could look up your past/recent prescriptions? Or is that just for certain meds? eg codeine?

Whenever I took one in, they would check on the computer before filling it.

My GP elsewhere would give me a 3 month set of scrips and once when was new to the island and knew the weather was about to cut us off I asked a pharmacy who knew me for the next one early. and they said yes as they knew how hard it was for me to get there . So they looked it up then on the computer.

I think that's only on the public system (but correct me if I'm wrong).

Well anyway, I'm not lying. This happened 3 years ago in different pharmacies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I think that's only on the public system (but correct me if I'm wrong).

Ah OK. Yes, medical card here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Mod note

Forging a prescription is illegal, and therefore discussing how to do this breaches boards terms of use. Post deleted and warning issued. Please no further discussion on this.

Any queries please pm me.

Kurt

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

No, there is no centralized system in Ireland. They only thing the Pharmacist can see is anything you've had dispensed in that single Pharmacy.

The same goes for GPs, when you change GP the new one will often ask the old one to send over your past medical history, or they'll ring your Pharmacy to get a med rec but outside of that one GP can't see what another has prescribed.

Re. online GP services if I feel it's in their interest and I know who their GP is I'll fax them a copy of the online script.

No, there is no centralized system in Ireland. They only thing the Pharmacist can see is anything you've had dispensed in that single Pharmacy.

The same goes for GPs, when you change GP the new one will often ask the old one to send over your past medical history, or they'll ring your Pharmacy to get a med rec but outside of that one GP can't see what another has prescribed.

Re. online GP services if I feel it's in their interest and I know who their GP is I'll fax them a copy of the online script.

Hopefully, this will move to the UK system which I've really struggled with since I moved back to Ireland. I miss you SCR.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

Hopefully, this will move to the UK system which I've really struggled with since I moved back to Ireland. I miss you SCR.

Ideally I should be able to go onto the HSE Pharmacy Suite, input your PPSN and see your full Hx. It would make discharge scripts sooo much easier.

I saw an interesting thing posted by an Irish GP on twitter re. a centralized system, if a GP or myself have a look over the Hx or a test and see that someone has F'd-up, who's responsible? Do we have to go chasing up with the team at the time? How does that work in the UK?

Advertisement