Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harmony NITP - Down's syndrome checkup

Options
  • 30-08-2020 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've seen there are different NITP tests (Vistara NIPT vs Panorama Test, the Harmony Test or the Verifi Test).

Which ones is the most comprehensive where Down's syndrome is checked up plus others?

Can I choose where to do this test or once I decided which hospital I want to go, then it is usually included in the maternity plan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It is not standard in any Irish hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Kaldo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Kaldo wrote: »

It’s available but not standard. You have to request it and pay extra.

How much? Do you know by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

How much? Do you know by any chance?

I replied on your other thread I paid €450 for panorama.

• Advertisement

With the extra included? I believe 450 was the standard only.

With the extra included? I believe 450 was the standard only.

I got it done in January/February and there was only 1 type offered which was €450.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭plasticheart

I paid €430 for the Harmony test in Merrion Fetal Health.

https://www.merrionfetalhealth.ie/harmony-prenatal-test/

It's not included in any maternity plan but is available as an optional extra.

I asked for the upgraded but I was told there is none. How is that called?

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

430 in Evie clinic in the beacon. Not sure what you mean by upgraded? This included NT measurement with scan and sex chromosomal abnormalities.
    It's good to be aware that the harmony test is very accurate for downs and but less accurate for other things such as sex chromosomal abnormalities.
    If there isn't enough baby dna in your blood sample you may need to be retested so the clinic will tell you the best time to be tested, think they recommend after 11 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 April21

Is there anywhere people have found where partner can come for the scan as part of the NIPT? With partners not allowed to come to hospital scans it would be a good way to involve them in the private scan if it’s allowed. On merrion website it says partners not allowed come. Anyone bring their partner to the test?

April21 wrote: »
    Is there anywhere people have found where partner can come for the scan as part of the NIPT? With partners not allowed to come to hospital scans it would be a good way to involve them in the private scan if it’s allowed. On merrion website it says partners not allowed come. Anyone bring their partner to the test?

April I think partners are allowed in for anatomy scan (20ish weeks) now in the Rotunda.

Millem wrote: »
    April I think partners are allowed in for anatomy scan (20ish weeks) now in the Rotunda.

I’m booked in the Coombe, hopefully they bring that into the Coombe by the time I’m 20wks which is a good while yet

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

I asked for the upgraded but I was told there is none. How is that called?

The extended panorama is €630 in the Evie clinic

I called them. There is no extension. 430 € only (20€ cheaper than Rotunda but the same type of test. They have 2 NIPT tests: Panorama and Harmony. They are similar except of the week of testing and one additional condition tested on Panorama: Triploidy.

I called them. There is no extension. 430 € only (20€ cheaper than Rotunda but the same type of test. They have 2 NIPT tests: Panorama and Harmony. They are similar except of the week of testing and one additional condition tested on Panorama: Triploidy.

Who did you call? I had the extended panorama test in Evie in Sandyford 3 weeks ago so I’m 100% certain they were doing it then unless something has changed in the last 3 weeks.

See information per the attached. See date 11th Aug at top and Evie clinic details at bottom.

Yes, I know about the microdeletion panel with the additional rare generic conditions results are not at accurate. What if you get a 7% chances of any of those rare conditions? Would you take the risk to perform amniocentesis or CVS putting on risk for miscarriage? It is a very personal decision however it adds more stress up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I had amniocentesis, the risk of miscarriage is tiny and tends to come from the days where they didn't have such accurate scans so had to guess the position of the foetus based on heartbeat alone. My consultant said she'd never had a patient miscarry after one, and it was less than a 1% risk across the hospital in her experience. It was a no brainer for me, given that we got a high risk result and wanted all the information possible.

Waiting for the results was much harder than the procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

It's a very personal decision and hopefully guidance from a consultant would help to make it easier to weigh up the risks.
    Knowing what I know after a lot of research into this area based on my own experience and provided the 20 week scan was good, I personally wouldn't have an amnio but that's just my experience.
    My consultant maintains the harmony is a very accurate test for Downs but not reliable for the rare conditions.

• Advertisement

Yes, I know about the microdeletion panel with the additional rare generic conditions results are not at accurate. What if you get a 7% chances of any of those rare conditions? Would you take the risk to perform amniocentesis or CVS putting on risk for miscarriage? It is a very personal decision however it adds more stress up.

No one is telling you to get it. You asked for information and I was simply trying to help. Whether you get it or not is your own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I had it done for two pregnancies, and we had a high risk result on the second and had to end the pregnancy, just before the legislation here so had to go to UK. It was panorama and we had extra tests done but as part of a clinical trial at the time. Can't remember what they were for. It was about 450 euro. Not sure why it isn't covered by the state here but in my situation obviously while the termination was devastating at the time, a couple of years in it was definitely the right decision for us.

I know... just sharing thoughts openly here. No other intention than that. Thank you all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

April21 wrote: »

Did you get an answer on this? I was thinking the same myself! I was going to book a private scan anyway just before my 12week scan, and realised I should probably look at having this also!

Partners are not allowed. I asked on the 3 hospitals.

GingerLily wrote: »
    Did you get an answer on this? I was thinking the same myself! I was going to book a private scan anyway just before my 12week scan, and realised I should probably look at having this also!

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. There are private places where partners can come, I found the ultrasound clinic in Bray and Womans Health Group in Kilkenny both do NIPT and partners can come. Hopefully this is helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 tsejpf973um0ra

Toastytoes wrote: »
    Who did you call? I had the extended panorama test in Evie in Sandyford 3 weeks ago so I’m 100% certain they were doing it then unless something has changed in the last 3 weeks.

Hi Toastytoes - I had the extended panorama done last week in Evie. Sick with nerves. Can I ask how long you were waiting for the results?

Advertisement